• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO How will Pokemon Go interact with the main series games?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
In the press conference where Pokemon Go,it was announced that it would interact with the main series games in some way, but didnt specify what that would be. Thoughts on how that might work?

Personally, my thoughts are that Pokemon might be able to be transferred from the app to the main series game similar to how things like the Dream World and Pokemon Dream Radar worked.

I think it will allow transferring pokemon from the app to the main game through Wi-fi. It might have specific caught location names as part of its bio, like city names or simply state names if you caught it on the highway or something.

It could also be a new way to get pokemon with specific moves/held items.

I'm only wishing this sees an international release. PLEASE. We don't get a lot of pokemon related games that aren't the main series ;_;

I agree. I think the main connectivity between the two is that we'll be able to transfer Pokemon we have captured on Pokemon Go to the main series games.

What about Wi-Fi battling between Main Game and Pokemon Go? But we still don't know how battles in PokeGo will work, though, they might be different from the main series mechanics...

Transferring Pokémon seems like the most logical way the two can link, but it feels so pointless when you can get them all in XY/ORAS... even worse that they seem to focus on gen 1 which already got way too much focus in XY...
The only appeal would be potentially getting Mew this way, and perhaps other mythical Pokémon (or just harder to obtain later gens Pokémon) if they ever do include the later gens in there.

What about Wi-Fi battling between Main Game and Pokemon Go? But we still don't know how battles in PokeGo will work, though, they might be different from the main series mechanics...
I'd say that they should be different to make things more interesting. It would be worthwhile to use the same Pokémon in completely different ways depending on the game. Go shouldn't have IVs, for one thing, so that players can actually focus on the essential parts of training.

it seems to me that Pokémon GO will act like an enhanced version of the Pokéwalker with the mean series elements of battling and trading with real people. As for why the trailer only shows Gen. 1 critters, that's because they're the most recognizable to the public. I can also see the Gen. 1 mons are the only ones you get for free, with the other generations being in-app purchases. That's the downside of GO being a FTP mobile game, unfortunately.

I'd say that they should be different to make things more interesting. It would be worthwhile to use the same Pokémon in completely different ways depending on the game. Go shouldn't have IVs, for one thing, so that players can actually focus on the essential parts of training.

I have a feeling the training aspect of the game is probably gonna be very minimal.

I wouldn't be surprised if really the Pokemon are all more or less the exact same beyond aesthetics since it seems the capturing aspect is the main draw. At most I'd expect a very rudimentary Type Advantage system (and I wouldn't be surprised if they simplify that by just choosing one Type for each Pokemon), but the impression I got was battling despite the trailer wasn't gonna be a large feature of the game since the press conference implied there'd be a bit of a passive nature to the game. But we'll see in time when more info is revealed.

it seems to me that Pokémon GO will act like an enhanced version of the Pokéwalker with the mean series elements of battling and trading with real people. As for why the trailer only shows Gen. 1 critters, that's because they're the most recognizable to the public. I can also see the Gen. 1 mons are the only ones you get for free, with the other generations being in-app purchases. That's the downside of GO being a FTP mobile game, unfortunately.

To be fair, they have 721 Pokémon. It makes sense that they'd have each Generation be its own little expansion pack. I'm actually surprised Pokédex for iOS started out with Unova instead of Kanto, since the Gen. 1 love train left the station when Black & White did.

Probably exactly like Pokewalker and Dream Radar. It's not as if this is the first time we've had an app where you can interact with Pokemon IRL.

Does anyone else think there might be a high chance of getting Pokemon with unique abilities, moves, etc to transfer to the main game and perhaps even event Pokemon? It might be possible.

I think this is likely. The unique Abilities would of course be Hidden Abilities though. Event Pokemon I see more in terms of certain Pokemon only being available at certain times of the year, or only at special Pokemon events like Worlds, not quite the same as what we see in the core series.

0_0

Does anyone else think there might be a high chance of getting Pokemon with unique abilities, moves, etc to transfer to the main game and perhaps even event Pokemon? It might be possible.

I believe that will be likely, especially if my thoughts are correct on Pokemon go being able to transfer Pokemon to a main series title.

Last edited:
So, according to the Treehouse Live at E3 today, we'll be able to transfer Pokemon from the Go app to Sun and Moon (though not straight away).

I am totally gonna beat the elite 4 with Pokemon that "I've" caught! :-D

Just rewatched it. Yup, you were right, just "connectivity". Sorry, my mistake.
(Crosses fingers and hopes for transfers)

I doubt that it will allow for pokemon with exclusive moves. Right now Pokemon only know two moves at a time and as far as I can tell they can't be swapped out. The pokemon transferred into your cartridges would have to be heavily reworked to be equal to pokemon you catch in-game.

Really, the only thing unique and special about Pokemon GO pokes are their absolutely ridiculous unique heights and weights.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom