• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon effect the anime?

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
Discuss your thoughts on how you believe the upcoming Pokemon games "Pokemon Sun" and "Pokemon Moon" will affect the anime.

Ash will see some new Pokemon then go to the new region.

I was really hoping Gen 6 would continue and we could have an arc potentially in Hoenn. This is honestly pretty disappointing news to me, on a game front too, but especially on an Anime front, because it means only this year left for Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie, very little time left for a potential Iris return, and almost no chance for a filler arc that could feature returns of old Pokemon/old friends. I was really hoping for a 20th anniversary arc that would feature old friends and old Pokemon, but it looks like the anime will be forced to follow this seemingly rushed transition into a new generation. Ash will probably have to go through another Sinnoh-Unova type reversion too in order to be dumb enough to be the beginning trainer he needs to be for Gen 7, because he has gotten too good in Kalos, which will be super annoying. I was really hoping for a Z version and an extension of Kalos, and I'm sure I will eventually enjoy these new regions, I just would have preferred it to be 2017.

I was really hoping Gen 6 would continue and we could have an arc potentially in Hoenn. This is honestly pretty disappointing news to me, on a game front too, but especially on an Anime front, because it means only this year left for Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie, very little time left for a potential Iris return, and almost no chance for a filler arc that could feature returns of old Pokemon/old friends. I was really hoping for a 20th anniversary arc that would feature old friends and old Pokemon, but it looks like the anime will be forced to follow this seemingly rushed transition into a new generation. Ash will probably have to go through another Sinnoh-Unova type reversion too in order to be dumb enough to be the beginning trainer he needs to be for Gen 7, because he has gotten too good in Kalos, which will be super annoying. I was really hoping for a Z version and an extension of Kalos, and I'm sure I will eventually enjoy these new regions, I just would have preferred it to be 2017.

Yeah I'm worried. IMO XY is somewhere between on par and better than DP. It deserves a decent wrap up, so I hope they don't rush things and at least the league doesn't becomes a repeat of Best Wishes or a Tobias 2 appears.
When Satoshi showed to be more like his DP self in terms of experience I thought that was a sign of the producers taking notes of fan feedback. I hope they don't nerf him too much for the next series, because even if it's done for sake of not letting him be "too good" near the beginning it would feel like a big step backwards. Even with past series' hiccups if you ignore Best Wishes it still felt like he was getting progressively better from the original to DP (and then XY).

The writers meant for him to win in Sinnoh. I wanted to believe he could get closer in Kalos, but with the announcement of Sun and Moon this year I have a feeling there wouldn't be enough time for something as "big" as him beating his first non-filler league.

I know most people will just laugh at this, but who knows, maybe they have far more planned for the transition than the usual and this concern of a bad XY conclusion ends being surprisingly silly. I mean, they did change more than usual in XY, who's to say they won't be a little more daring with Sun and Moon?

Since Sun and Moon are most likely the start of the seventh generation, if not outright confirmed to be so at this point, then XY will end this year and we'll get a new series to tie in with the newest games. Serena, Clemont and Bonnie will leave the group, Ash might hear about a new region with new Pokemon either shortly before or after he loses in the Kalos League, he'll spend at most one full episode at Pallet Town before heading off and he'll be joined by the new female trainer, as well as a Gym Leader, from the new S/M games. Team Rocket will also be included because they're Team Rocket and hopefully they keep at least Wobbuffet.

I also don't think that Ash will regress in his skills, or at least not necessarily. He has been good in Kalos, but not Sinnoh level good in my opinion. Plus, I think why he regressed in BW had more to do with how they wanted to have kind of a back to basics vibe with the series like the games had at the time, as well as how he wasn't a mentor figure like he was with May, Dawn and to a lesser extent Serena. If we get a female lead who is a rookie trainer, then the chances of Ash still being at least competent are pretty good in my opinion.

Honestly, I'm not too upset about XY ending in less than a year. I was kind of wondering how they could stretch things out for another year at this point when they brushed through Ash's Gym battles and Serena is already in the Master Class of the Pokemon Showcases. It wouldn't have been impossible for them to extend the series for another year, especially if the new games provided some significant expansion for Kalos, but with the way the series has been paced lately, or how the series as a whole has been paced for that matter, it does make sense to get ready to wrap up everything this year instead of finding a way to extend it for another year. I think that there is enough time for them to finish off the Kalos journey and give everyone good sendoffs too, so I'm hopeful that it will work out.

Ash will exchange farewells with his current companions, leave his Kalos Pokémon at Oak's ranch, head to the Gen 7 region, get new traveling companions and catch new Pokémon while wanting to get into the region's League.

Oh, and the TRio will follow him there and try to steal whatever Pokémon or item catches their (fickle) interest.

Honestly, I don't know if I can endure another region with Ash. Unless he wins the Kalos League.

It would be interesting to see him traveling in a new region as League Champion from the previous region. Although the plot hole of challenging the Elite 4 after being crowned League Champion would be left out there.

I wonder if the fella who looks like Red in the concept art from the trailer is Red?
And if so, what might that mean for our favourite little Red expy?

As we know, Ash will probably lose the Kalos League, ofc. Sadly, we will also have to say goodbye to Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie. He'll go back to Palette Town, leave Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, and Noivern with his other Pokemon, then head off to the Gen VII region. Team Rocket will obviously follow.

XY has been a pretty decent series, so hopefully S/M won't end up resetting Ash. Hopefully he'll carry his competence and less selfish nature to the new series and he'll probably meet a new female trainer and a gym leader. Hopefully the battles will be as consistently good as they have been in XY also.

Since we're going new for this gen, how about the anime tries something new and replaces Ash

Yeah, that's not going to happen. We're well past the point where replacing Ash is a possibility. Not to mention they wouldn't want to kick start a new series on the 20th anniversary that gets rid of their iconic lead who has been the main focus or nearly two decades.

I'm hoping for a female companion to have a co-star or at least a semi so-star role in the new series and she has an active goal where she wins things in some kind of series of tournaments. I also want Ash to have a female main rival who is a jerk to him like Paul was.

I'm still hoping and praying for Contests to come back so badly. Or at least something that the female lead character can do so that she can have a more active goal in the series. The female lead either doing nothing or the writers making up something like Showcases are not good options in my opinion. Contests actually worked for both the games and the anime, so I want them to stick around. A female rival for Ash would be pretty cool. I'm not sure if I could see them making her a jerk like Paul, but I'd be happy with a good female rival for Ash at this point.

I wonder if the fella who looks like Red in the concept art from the trailer is Red?
And if so, what might that mean for our favourite little Red expy?

If that really is Red, then I'm sure people will be surprised that he actually got off that mountain. It would also probably make it even more likely for Ash to stick around since he was based on Red in the first place.

I say that it's a bit premature to assume that anime would repeat the story pattern in the past. Because honestly, the very existence of Pokémon Sun and Moon defies the predictable patterns that we come to expect from the games. Ever since Pokémon Blue came out (and Yellow for the rest of the world), Pokémon always had at least a third version of the game (not counting remakes) released before the next generation comes out. Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 and White 2. Until now. It's more egregious considering that with all the Zygarde-promotion (the third of the Kalos trio) and unresolved plot points like AZ in general or that mysterious train station in the town before the final gym that has no real purpose other than Mega Stone, you think they would have announced a Pokémon Z to cover those aspects and wrap up the plot just like Black 2 and White 2 did for Gen V or Platinum did for Gen IV. But that did not happen. In fact, it seems that GameFreak was teasing a new region since the very beginning of Gen VI with all of its talk about a mysterious region and the aforementioned train station. This person's journal best summarizes my thoughts about this new generation suffice to say.

If this new region is just next door to the Kalos region... Then there is no reason to preemptively assume Ash would return back to Pallet Town and dump all of his Kalos, Serena and friends leaving Ash never to be seen again, and Ash pressing the reset button. If GameFreak can subvert predictable gaming patterns of the past, all things are possible now.

Last edited:
I wish the female lead challenged the gyms as her goal. I don't care if it'll become repetitive or whatever, at least she would be more active and she would battle alot. Plus it may even be something fresh since Ash is the only one doing gyms.

^This, so much this. We've had the option to choose a female trainer in the game for about fifteen years now, can the anime please catch up? Her and Ash could have a friendly rivalry, which would make up for him having no significant rival in Kalos.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom