• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon effect the anime?

I'm sorry if you felt like I was discouraging you or anyone from imagining stuff. I'm disagreeing with your speculation because the chances are excellent that Sun/Moon will have Gym battles, but I'm not saying that you can't imagine whatever you what to happen. You're free to do that of course, but that doesn't mean that no one should disagree with your speculation. Again, I apologize if I came off too assertive or made you felt like you couldn't speculate.
I'm sorry if my post sounded too sensitive. I got a bit carried away when most of the posts were eventually leading to "Ash will repeat the same format he's been doing for 15 years", which made me wonder why this thread even exists if all speculation posts are going to be as good as null, or considered as disagreeable

I'm sorry if my post sounded too sensitive. I got a bit carried away when most of the posts were eventually leading to "Ash will repeat the same format he's been doing for 15 years", which made me wonder why this thread even exists if all speculation posts are going to be as good as null, or considered as disagreeable

It's okay. I just wanted to apologize if I came off too harsh or made you feel bad in any way since that wasn't my intention. Even if they do repeat the same format with Ash, that doesn't mean that people can't speculate. We can still have discussions on the matter and as long as people are respectful, disagreements on speculations and theories should be okay as well.

I can't be the only person here who's noticed this sudden and hasty rush in the wake of Sun and Moon's announcement. All of a sudden, Master Class is nearly here.
This really doesn't bode too well, considering how badly the 5 episode Unova League (discounting that stupid Axew filler) was handled when compared to the 7 episode Sinnoh League. I'd hate to see this frantic pace cause XY to fall short after such a good run.

I can't be the only person here who's noticed this sudden and hasty rush in the wake of Sun and Moon's announcement. All of a sudden, Master Class is nearly here.
This really doesn't bode too well, considering how badly the 5 episode Unova League (discounting that stupid Axew filler) was handled when compared to the 7 episode Sinnoh League. I'd hate to see this frantic pace cause XY to fall short after such a good run.

You're right. I was getting very worried the minute I heard how soon the Master Class episodes would be. My fears confirmed, this may be the most rushed League ever. And Ash has very little good rivals to make up for it this time.

You're right. I was getting very worried the minute I heard how soon the Master Class episodes would be. My fears confirmed, this may be the most rushed League ever. And Ash has very little good rivals to make up for it this time.
That is really unfortunate. I was really hoping we would have a league like the earlier ones where we actually get to see every battle (well I guess I hope this every time), but we will probably only see battle with Tierno and Sawyer and they may do snips of multiple rounds in one episode. It's one of the many reasons SM coming so soon is disappointing.

That is really unfortunate. I was really hoping we would have a league like the earlier ones where we actually get to see every battle (well I guess I hope this every time), but we will probably only see battle with Tierno and Sawyer and they may do snips of multiple rounds in one episode. It's one of the many reasons SM coming so soon is disappointing.
Absolutely. One of my first thoughts about SM coming already was "Welp, XY&Z's totally boned".

To be fair, Serena's quest was made so that they could breeze through it fairly easily. Given that she didn't even get her first Princess Key until Ash had six badges, they kind of needed to rush through it. Plus, the Master Class would have happened this year. The most they could have done to delay it would be to give Serena a losing streak to put off the Master Class until maybe around summer, but it still would have happened. Honestly, I still think it's for the best that the Master Class is nearly here. They don't have to drag out Serena's Showcases longer and we'll hopefully be done with Showcases for good after the Master Class.

As for the concerns of the Kalos League, I can understand that, especially when the tail end of a series tend to be rushed, but I think that it will turn out okay, or at least has a good chance. XY's pacing is fast, but not to the extent of BW where they rushed through so much of Unova that they had way too much time on their hands afterwards. I don't think that they'll waste time like what happened with the Unova League.

I really doubt that it will be any more rushed than the Unova League, or the Indigo League for that matter.

Sun/Moon aren't coming out until late this year. They didn't even give a month release, but rather said holiday 2016. The earliest we can probably expect them would be around November, if not December. The games aren't coming out so soon.

Absolutely. One of my first thoughts about SM coming already was "Welp, XY&Z's totally boned".

The writers have most likely been aware of Sun/Moon for quite some time and have planned things out accordingly. That's not to say that it will all be perfect and that they won't be rushed. I'm pretty sure that Noibat's evolution was mainly due to how they wanted to give Ash as many evolved Pokemon as possible before the League, whether or not it was forced/rushed, but I don't think that the series is totally doomed because new games are on the way. If the writers can't provide a good League or resolve everything in the series before Sun/Moon come out, I wouldn't blame that on the games, but rather the writing qualities.

Like I said, I can understand the concerns for the pacing and for the League, but I seems like too many people are assuming the worse without any evidence to back it up. There is no sign that the Kalos League will be rushed through. We'll probably skip through most of Ash's qualifying battles, as we tend to do aside from maybe the first one, but I'm sure that we'll get to see him battle against Tierno, Sawyer, maybe Trevor and a new character that will be introduce primarily to defeat him. If we get episode summaries and we have a filler episode in the middle the League akin to that Axew filler, then the panic will be more understandable. As of now, it just seems like everyone is panicking without a whole lot of reasoning behind it.

I would rather they have waited a little bit longer for the announcement so they didn't have to rush the anime and they could include gameplay in the trailer. That would have been more useful.

I would rather they have waited a little bit longer for the announcement so they didn't have to rush the anime and they could include gameplay in the trailer. That would have been more useful.

I don't think that delaying the announcement would have changed anything. XY would still be heading towards its conclusion regardless of whether or not we knew about Sun/Moon at this point. I'm positive that the writers have been aware of the games well before this year, so it isn't like it threw them by surprise. Considering how long it takes for them to animate one episode, one would think that they are already well into the planning stage for the next series now. If we didn't know about the games until say late spring or early summer for some reason instead, the anime wouldn't be any different. We would still be heading towards the Master Class, Ash's eighth Gym and whatever plans they have for Team Flare. They do have to wrap everything up this year due to Sun/Moon, but instead of blaming the games or when they were announced for any problems the rest of the series has, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the writing quality itself? If the writers can't tell a good storyline within three years, that's not because of Sun/Moon coming out late this year.

Besides all that, it made perfect sense to announce the new games on the 20th anniversary. Seeing gameplay in the trailer would have been nice, but they wanted to announce the games on the exact anniversary of Red and Green's release in Japan. Not to mention fans have been eager for an announcement for months and delaying it more would have just resulted in more frustration in that regard.

Sun/Moon aren't coming out until late this year. They didn't even give a month release, but rather said holiday 2016. The earliest we can probably expect them would be around November, if not December. The games aren't coming out so soon.
I meant so soon as in not late 2017 like some people expected/hoped for. The hope would have been that if there was going to need to be a filler arc that they would have taken advantage of that and started lengthening stuff such as the Kalos league so the filler arc wouldn't be an entire year. Since this is what I had expected/hoped for up until about a week ago, that is why it is disappointing.

I meant so soon as in not late 2017 like some people expected/hoped for. The hope would have been that if there was going to need to be a filler arc that they would have taken advantage of that and started lengthening stuff such as the Kalos league so the filler arc wouldn't be an entire year. Since this is what I had expected/hoped for up until about a week ago, that is why it is disappointing.

I can understand hoping for something like that, but I don't think that would have worked for a few reasons. For starters, if they were going for a filler arc, it would have been set after the Kalos League, not before it. It also probably would have stretched Kalos a bit too thinly simply because I don't think that they could have been able to stretch out XY until 2017 at this rate. That was one of the factors that I thought was in the seventh generation theory's favor before the games were announced. With the way they've burned through Ash's Kalos Gym battles and brushed through Serena's Showcase arc fairly easily, I don't think that they were planning on making the series last more than three years. If we had gotten another Kalos focused game instead of Sun/Moon, it might have been easier to stretch XY out for another year depending on the new features, but it still would have been set after the Kalos League. Plus, the last time we got a filler arc not based on any game, we had the Decolor Islands arc in BW. Given the situation, it does make more sense to celebrate the 20th anniversary with a new generation rather than with a new Kalos focused game to extend XY for another year.

Besides all that, the games still aren't coming out all that soon. There is still plenty of time for the writers to wrap up XY in a satisfying matter. If they aren't able to do that, I wouldn't blame that on Sun/Moon coming out a year earlier than you hoped for, at least not completely. The writers do have to rush to start the new series in order to tie in with the new game, but if they can't wrap up the storyline in nine or ten months, depending on when exactly Sun/Moon come out, at this point of the series, I don't think the games are to blame.

I mean, the obvious answer for this is we're just going to get a new arc. As I mentioned, I would be pleased if I could see some changes. I want Ash to have a new female rival, Serena to stay, and a male companion costar. I could go on and on.

Honestly I am sort of done...I have been watching and playing Pokemon for a long time and honestly I really hope something different happens...yes...yes...I know marketing and business is what the anime is for but the higher ups need to do something different Sinnoh and XY/XYZ were life savers, they brought me back to the anime, they made Ash a competent trainer, they showed growth and development, and the female characters are well made. I want this to be a fresh start...A new face or Serena continuing are journey with Ash...

Sinnoh and Kalos have by far been the best anime series, and I hope that they can get a good plot with SM. I'd love some nostalgia or old travelling companion for the 20th anniversary.
This is an unlikely thought, but maybe every person Ash has ever travelled with could somehow appear in the region, and it could be very nostalgic. I know it's unlikely, but I would like that to happen.

Last edited:
Pokemon Sun and Moon comes out in 8-9 months from now, they have plenty of time to wrap everything up. Pokemon Black and White was announced on April 9, 2010. At that time, DP episode Togekiss Dance! The Princess Pokémon Contest!!/Dawn of a Royal Day! just aired in Japan on April 1, 2010. This is at the time where Dawn just got her Togekiss and is getting ready for the Grand Festival and Ash is heading to the Pokemon league with 8 badges. The BW season of the anime started on September 23 in Japan, just 5 days after Pokemon Black and White have been released in Japan. At that time, Diamond and Pearl only has 5 months to wrap everything up, yet the Grand Festival and the Pokemon League was not rushed, they flowed through very nicely.

Pokemon Sun and Moon was announced on February 27, just after Serena getting her third Princess Key and find out out there the master class is, and they will have to take a longer way to Ash's last gym battle. The writers might know what's going to happen in the anime in the next 8-9 months, and it's possible that Team Flair arc will end at the summer and they will start wrapping things up. So as of right now, there's no need to get worried over this as they have a lot of time. If the game is being released in 3 months, then you can panic. Who knows, by the end of XYZ, we could see someone with a new Pokemon like we did at the end of generation 2,3, and 5 of the anime, or someone getting a 7th generation Pokemon at the end of the series.

Ho-Oh was seen at the first episode of the Pokemon anime on April 1, 1997, and Togepi was introduced in episode 50 on June 25, 1998. At this time the first season wasn't ending soon for another 30 episodes and that was for the next 6 months. The Orange islands arc was only 6 months long, going from January 28, 1999 to October 7, 1999. Then generation 2 anime started on October 14, 1999 just one week later (Going by Japanese release dates) No one seems to care that during that time, Pokemon Gold and Silver has been announced and two generation 2 Pokemon had had appeared.

So I think that the XYZ anime will be just fine. If the league haven't started at around October, then we can start to worry about how it will come out. Until then, lets cross that bridge when we get there and then think about what's going to happen. Ash has enough time to get his 8th badge and get to the league. By then Team Flair would have been stopped and things will start getting back to normal.

Well Clemont (in the dub) for me is a lottttttt more tolerable than Cilan ever was, I was so done with that "I'M A BOTTLE CONNOISSEUR TOO, FORGOT TO SAY" before it even started. It's similar to the "I knew we would encounter a situation just like this, soooo preeesenting- ect" that Clemont does, but doesn't DRY out all the dialogue surrounding it, cause it's made funny.
I would actually love if Clemont & Bonnie went with Ash to the new region and wouldn't mind if Serena went (lol don't know why).
Clemont and Ash have a similar fitting to Ash and Brock's relationship. I know it wouldn't happen as the other cast members have always left (as of BF, DP for Brock), but why not keep Clemont around? I like him.

As for Ash, I am still loving the anime in Kalos atm in general, all the gym battles have been EPIC, and even some of the fillers have been partially interesting and not old rehashes. I am just hoping for Wulfric's gym that they at least have a 3 on 3 battle. Ash' Kalos team is my favourite team of his since the Sinnoh saga.

For Sun/Moon I want Ash to maybe have 7/8 Pokémon (similar to Unova/Kanto), but rotate them RESPECTFULLY and don't let some slip off the radar which is what happened to Palpitoad (imo).
I also am crying out for contests to make a return, I cannot stand Showcases, it is literally a terrible result of a late goal for Serena. (AND SERENA WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME IN CONTESTS, it would also give her a reason to have more Pokémon on her team), but yeahhhhh, bring them back!

I honestly am ready for Serena to be replaced. I mean I like her to an extent, but the positivity is getting to be a little too much for me. If she were to do contests though I would enjoy that so she would actually be involved in battles sometimes. I think getting a new female character is always pretty fun though because they all have different personalities and I have enjoyed all of them. It is important that they actually have something in the show they can do, and I really hope it includes battles. Clemont continuing with the group would be fine with me as I enjoy his character, Bonnie I could take or leave. Chespin should be left in Kalos though if that were to happen and maybe only Luxray should come with so it could get some more development.

For Sun/Moon I want Ash to maybe have 7/8 Pokémon (similar to Unova/Kanto), but rotate them RESPECTFULLY and don't let some slip off the radar which is what happened to Palpitoad (imo).

I got to say this seems like a good idea because he can catch more Pokemon, but having the team along with him the whole team and getting a more defined "team" feel where they all get along with each other too like in Sinnoh and now is something that I really like too. Especially if the new region only has another 70 new Pokemon having that many would be difficult anyway. The two regions he had more than 6 in were the two where the most new Pokemon were introduced. I just hope he has a solid team of 6, but actually gets to 6 earlier in his journey.

I would like at least one previous companion to come to this new region, and we could have four in the group. Would it be a good idea to have a non-Bonnie/Max in the group if there was four?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom