• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon effect the anime?

I would like at least one previous companion to come to this new region, and we could have four in the group. Would it be a good idea to have a non-Bonnie/Max in the group if there was four?
That would be fine just as long as this 4th and 3rd and 2nd member of ash's new group can be a group that I can get by in the end.

What if the Brock-figure were a girl this time? I think that would be interesting. Alexa sort of had that role for a very short time, but it would be really funny if they had someone who was actually a lot like Brock, youngish, cooks well, breeds, and falls in love with random guys. I also don't mind having 4 characters as long as they spend enough time developing all of them, and if it is someone too young to have Pokemon I like that Bonnie still sort of has one as opposed to Max not having any Pokemon at all, but it doesn't even have to be someone young. There are a lot of roles they can still to the group that can all have Pokemon and not contradict, such as photographer, explorer, obviously the ones we've seen like breeder and coordinator, there are a lot of potential directions to go. However if the group has really good characters, 3 is def enough, just as always hope they all can get a full-ish team by the end.

Taking out Serena for the anime would be a bad marketing and a bad rating move. Serena has been actually pretty popular and so has Armourshipping. Their most likely going to keep Serena for another region. My hopes aren't high at all since both Dawn and Iris didn't stay for long....But who's to say? Maybe Sun and Moon will be different

Taking out Serena for the anime would be a bad marketing and a bad rating move. Serena has been actually pretty popular and so has Armourshipping. Their most likely going to keep Serena for another region. My hopes aren't high at all since both Dawn and Iris didn't stay for long....But who's to say? Maybe Sun and Moon will be different

If Dawn didn't stay despite having so much focus and importance during DP, then there's no chance that Serena will stay. I know that she's at least fairly popular, but I think that has more to do with Showcases being similar to idols, which are pretty popular in Japan. I don't think replacing her would be bad for ratings and certainly not bad marketing. Why keep a sixth generation character when they can use a new seventh generation character to promote Sun/Moon more effectively?

^^ I agree, but I also would like to see the male PC from SM to be the travelling partner. We've never got that.
I don't think that they will do that since Ash's cloths are similar to the male PC's cloths, and it'll be weird to have two characters traveling together wearing almost the same thing. If you don't know what I mean, take a look.
Diamond_Pearl_Lucas.png

Ash_DP_1.png
Black_White_Hilbert.png
Ash_Ketchum_BW.png
XY_Calem.png
Ash_XY_4.png
The images are big, that's why they're in spoilers. In gens 1-3, Ash dressed differently then the male PC.

Ash pretty much takes on the role of the male trainers of the new games. It's probably one reason why his outfits from the last few series have been fairly similar to what the new male trainer of the generation wears. The most we'll get is basically a cameo from the male trainer in a movie like we have with Brendan and Lucas. It would be interesting to have them more involved beyond that, but I don't see it happening. Plus, they don't really have a great track record with secondary male lead characters anyway, so I don't know if the playable male trainer would fare any better.

Maybe we could at least get a fairly involved male rival. I don't know how other people felt, but I really loved Barry in DP and I thought it was a great way to have a male main character from the games in the anime.

I know that a male PC becoming one of Ash's companions is unlikely, but I think it would be fresh for introducing a male that likes performing in the group.
And also, we assume from one of the concept pictures (the one outside the hotel) that the PC looks a lot like Red style wise. Ash is based off Red, but has a few differences now.

I think at this point I'd prefer to see a male PC, or some kind of trainer class, join Ash over another Gym leader just up and leaving their gym to go on a journey with a 10 year old and his Pikachu that they just bumped into somewhere.

I don't really mind the idea of another Gym leader following Ash on his journey. At least Brock, Cilan and Clemont have been pretty different from each other, so the idea doesn't really bother me at this point. Having a different kind of male character to join Ash's group to shake things up would be okay though. I don't think it would be the playable male character or a rival, but maybe some secondary character from the game who isn't a Gym Leader could fit the bill. Ash having the same main rival from the games could be good.

I'd like it if Gary were Ash's male companion, should his game counterpart have a role in the games (which wouldn't surprise me given the anniversary). The XY games referenced Blue studying in Kalos, so it seems quite possible that Game Freak will follow the anime by making him a researcher, which could in turn encourage the anime staff to give Gary a bigger role than his DP one.

Ash and Gary are friends now, but they would be likely to have disagreements every now and then if they traveled together.

I say that it's a bit premature to assume that anime would repeat the story pattern in the past. Because honestly, the very existence of Pokémon Sun and Moon defies the predictable patterns that we come to expect from the games. Ever since Pokémon Blue came out (and Yellow for the rest of the world), Pokémon always had at least a third version of the game (not counting remakes) released before the next generation comes out. Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 and White 2. Until now. It's more egregious considering that with all the Zygarde-promotion (the third of the Kalos trio) and unresolved plot points like AZ in general or that mysterious train station in the town before the final gym that has no real purpose other than Mega Stone, you think they would have announced a Pokémon Z to cover those aspects and wrap up the plot just like Black 2 and White 2 did for Gen V or Platinum did for Gen IV. But that did not happen. In fact, it seems that GameFreak was teasing a new region since the very beginning of Gen VI with all of its talk about a mysterious region and the aforementioned train station. This person's journal best summarizes my thoughts about this new generation suffice to say.

If this new region is just next door to the Kalos region... Then there is no reason to preemptively assume Ash would return back to Pallet Town and dump all of his Kalos, Serena and friends leaving Ash never to be seen again, and Ash pressing the reset button. If GameFreak can subvert predictable gaming patterns of the past, all things are possible now.

I hadn't even considered the Strange Souvinir in XY until now! This makes a lot of sense! It looks like a tiki, and the new region looks like it's based on Hawaii...

Last edited:
I hadn't even considered the Strange Souvinir in XY until now! This makes a lot of sense! It looks like a tiki, and the new region looks like it's based on Hawaii... There may be credence to my theory that Sun and Moon are still part of Gen. VI after all...
No, there isn't. XY simply foreshadowed Generation VII.

No, there isn't. XY simply foreshadowed Generation VII.
I was editing my comment when you replied. I read the article they linked to, and that changed my mind.

Didn't the European reveal page outright say it's a new generation? It they call it a new era with a new world or whatever then it's most likely Generation 7 (there was that new bird Pokemon in the trailer plus Magearna a few weeks ago too). Plus it looks like the XY series is winding down; Serena's Master Class is a few episodes away and the Flare climax, Ash's 8th Badge, and the League shouldn't be that far behind it. There's really not much left other than that and I don't see SM being direct sequels to XY in the same way B2W2 were to B1W1 (if they were I'm pretty sure they would have said so/shown us more of the games).

Since it's practically confirmed SM are going to be in a new region, I'm sure Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie will be replaced. The only time they didn't do this was Johto but 1) the anime had only been going on for ~2.5 years so a major cast-shakeup probably wouldn't have been the smartest move/even seen as necessary at the time 2) Gold and Silver didn't really have a huge pool for new traveling companions (no female playable character until Crystal, the only gym leaders that could have maybe worked were Bugsy, Whitney, Morty, or Jasmine) and 3) they technically did replace Tracey with Brock so in the eyes of the producers/writers that may have been good enough at the time. But things are much different now and while I do love the new XY cast none of them are really strong enough to warrant being carried over to a new series (tbh Brock wasn't either but I feel they finally learned their lesson when Best Wishes rolled around). If the new region is the Johto to Kalos' Kanto then at most we could see cameos from the XY cast, but I doubt it (they didn't really re-visit Kanto to represent the post-game back then so I'm not sure they'd revisit Kalos now).

My guess is we'll see a stretch of fillers after XY112 with some Flare episodes sprinkled in, get the 8th badge around early May (Serena said the town the MC is in is far away from Snowbelle City iirc), the Flare climax in late May/early June, the league sometime in July (maybe August? I'm not sure if this year's film would affect that at all) and then filler to pad out the end of the series. Maybe we'll see a hiatus between XY and SM? That would be a good time to show the TR vs TP stuff or just give the staff a break. And while this probably isn't the concern of the Japanese staff, it would let the dub catch up so, if there's a worldwide release again, they don't have to do a preview episode like they did for AG and XY (well it would have to be a preview because the dub can't stay that close to the Japanese version but it wouldn't air during the previous series again).

Why do they have to be direct sequels? Gold and Silver were sequels to Red and Blue, but they took place in a different region. Who's to say that Sun and Moon won't be like that? Indirect sequels with their own story and an aftergame that involves the previous region.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,Serena is leaving most probably and so will Bonnie and Clemont,imo.Secondly as it's based on Hawaii,the next Pokegirl would have a tanned complexion,somewhat like Iris.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom