• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Will This Affect The Dubbing Gap?

Meowstic

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
With all the excitement of this new Pokémon series, there's only one thing on my mind, the dubbing gap. But first, what we already know.

TPCi has done very well to close the dubbing gap after taking over from 4Kids. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

When 4Kids first started dubbing, the gap was 525 days apart! But since they started off airing 5 episodes a week early into the series, that gap was quickly lowered to 310 days by the end of the Kanto series. Orange Islands enlarged the gap to 373 days by the end of it's run. Johto Journeys lowered it to 296, Johto League Champions raised it to 401 and Master Quest got it down to 345.

Now if any of you remember watching the premiere of Advanced, you would know the first two episodes were aired during Master Quest's run, to coincide with the release of Ruby and Sapphire, making the gap an extraordinary 107 days. But Advanced wasn't fully aired until after Master Quest, and once it was aired, the gap would be 373 days by it's end. Advanced Challenge would keep the gap at 373 by it's end too, but Advanced battle would lower it to 289.

After Advanced Challenge, TPCi took over from 4Kids in dubbing, and this is where the gap starts getting smaller. Battle Frontier started with a 337 day gap, and ended with a 170, literally cutting the gap in half! When Diamond and Pearl aired, it closed the gap to a mere 99 days by it's end, the smallest gap ever in the dub thus far! Battle Dimension did widen the gap to 149 by it's end, Galactic Battles only lowered it to 142, and Sinnoh League Victors raised it to 149.

Black & White would start the trend of a slow, but effective decrease in the gap. Black & White and Rival Destinies would both close with a 114 gap, but as of September 17, 2013, Adventures in Unova and Beyond has lowered that gap to 93 days, the lowest it has ever been, and will soon become 86 days when The Journalist from Another Region! airs on October 12, 2013.

On October 19, 2013, we will be getting a two-episode special of XY, with just an astonishing 2 day gap, which will be by far the smallest gap we will ever get in Pokémon (1 and 0 day gap is impossible since episodes air in Japan on Thursday and episodes air in the United States on Saturday, so unless episodes get aired before Japan in the future, this will be the smallest gap in dubbing history). However, this is only happening because Adventure in Unova and Beyond hasn't finished airing in the United States yet, similar to the premiere of Advanced.

Since the recent trend of season premieres suggests the premiere of XY in the United States would be in February (Let's say February 15, 2014 for the sake of pure speculation), and XY is premiering in Japan on October 17, 2013, the dubbing gap would be expanded by 4 months, approximately 122 days. It's not a lot, but will this completely shatter the progress TPCi has made to close this gap or could this be brought back down after some time?

I seriously hope the dubbing gap stays the way it is now, Not too far behind the Japanese airing but at the same time not too close to the Japanese airing to impact the quality of the dub and it's VAs.

I think it will stay the way it is. I don't think they'd wait till Feb. Jan is the latest I think. It doesn't seem like the want to take a break. ever since dp sinnoh league victers i dont think they even went a week with out a new episode. so most likely xy will officially air on December 14

I imagine that the gap will stay the same. I don't think that it will get significantly shorter or much longer than it currently is. I could maybe see them taking a break after BW if they need to finish up on more episodes for XY, but even then, that would only be a couple of weeks, so the gap won't be significantly affected either way.

Theoretically, if the dub continues at its pace of airing once a week while the Japanese does its breaks here and there for movies or other events, eventually, years down the road, the gap will be ridiculously small.

The gap really depends on the network airing the show. Probably many of those older season's had those episodes dubbed long before they made it to air.

Theoretically, if the dub continues at its pace of airing once a week while the Japanese does its breaks here and there for movies or other events, eventually, years down the road, the gap will be ridiculously small.

The gap really depends on the network airing the show. Probably many of those older season's had those episodes dubbed long before they made it to air.

I imagine that the dub will take some break eventually before it gets too small. They need time to work on the episodes. The breaks probably won't be too long, but taking a couple of weeks off every now and then when necessary would help keep the gap from getting that small.

The gap will either stay as is or get even smaller - they probably wish to eventually air it almost simultaneously similarly to how they handle game releases now... of course, it's harder with dubbing compared to the games... but I think they might at least manage to make the gap smaller eventually

And to think they closed a thread about if TPCi would reduce the dubbing gap, because it was apparently impossible for them to do it and there was nothing to discuss. Now, as we can see, it actually seems that they are going to get closer to the Japanese version, little by little. I think the gap will be 72 days as of BW139 because they won't be taking two breaks for the US. Maybe it will be kept as-is or be extended to 79 or maybe 86 again for the XY series. Then it would be eventually reduced each time they take a break in Japan, but of course, the gap would be extended from time to time, between seasons, but not as much as the reduction it will get. I don't think it will ever go as small as a 1 month gap, though.

I don't get why people think they need so much time to dub an episode. The issue isn't the inability to do a simultaneous dub, it's the workload and timeslots required to catch up. I would say the gap will be reduced a lot by the end of XY.

It's also important to note that episodes can be dubbed before they even air in Japan. So if BW142 is airing next week, it could very well be dubbed or soon to be dubbed in the US. There really isn't a reason for TPCI to air the JP episode, then allow the dubbers to get to work.

Complicated guess Why? Because depends of what the dub are going to air.

Let's see the scheduled.
October 12th Alexa
October 19th XY premiere (first 2 episodes)
October 26th Eevee
November 2th Clair
November 9th Noivern
November 16th Gogoat
November 23th Emolga
November 30th Cilan's brothers
December 6th Departure
December 13th Oak's Lab
December 20th XY 1
December 27th Break
January 3th XY2
January 10th XY3

If they decided to air Pokemon Origin, one week later.
If they decided to air Pokemon Origin in four parts, 4 weeks later.
If they decided to air the Cilan special, 1 week later
If they decided to air the Iris and Cilan special, 2 weeks later.

The "sneak peek" is not reducing the gap. It's ampliating the gap one week while the Christmas takes another week.

Right now it's too complicated to guess when the dub will debut XY because there are special airing that the dub could airing in Pokemon timeslot.

Last edited:
Looking at that, they might want to either take a break on the 20th or air one of the specials on that date to avoid having a random gap after the first episode of a saga. A break right before it starts would be a lot neater.

Complicated guess Why? Because depends of what the dub are going to air.

Let's see the scheduled.
October 12th Alexa
October 19th XY premiere (first 2 episodes)
October 26th Eevee
November 2th Clair
November 9th Noivern
November 16th Gogoat
November 23th Emolga
November 30th Cilan's brothers
December 6th Departure
December 13th Oak's Lab
December 20th XY 1
December 27th Break
January 3th XY2
January 10th XY3

If they decided to air Pokemon Origin, one week later.
If they decided to air Pokemon Origin in four parts, 4 weeks later.
If they decided to air the Cilan special, 1 week later
If they decided to air the Iris and Cilan special, 2 weeks later.

The "sneak peek" is not reducing the gap. It's ampliating the gap one week while the Christmas takes another week.

Right now it's too complicated to guess when the dub will debut XY because there are special airing that the dub could airing in Pokemon timeslot.

Don't forget the movie is airing on the 19th too. Do they usually air episodes alongside the movie or do they take a break those weeks?

This is 2013, there is no reason for the dub to be behind anymore, tpci get's there episodes far in advance

I seriously doubt that they are airing the Genesect movie, the XY special airing and a episode of Decolora at the same time. They are airing the two episode special and later the Genesect movie. Or in the same afternoon.

About the Cilan special, I think that this will be dubbed because the reason that the specials from DP wasn't aired is because the special appeared when the DP season pack is closed since a while and they aren't going to sell the pack with all the BW episodes (specially in "Season 1").

Those episodes were made by TPCi because those episodes are the most important episodes to the games ( 90% of the series promotes the games but not like those episodes).

In fact, the only reason to doubt about those characters being companions is this international airing.

I seriously doubt that they are airing the Genesect movie, the XY special airing and a episode of Decolora at the same time. They are airing the two episode special and later the Genesect movie. Or in the same afternoon.

About the Cilan special, I think that this will be dubbed because the reason that the specials from DP wasn't aired is because the special appeared when the DP season pack is closed since a while and they aren't going to sell the pack with all the BW episodes (specially in "Season 1").

Those episodes were made by TPCi because those episodes are the most important episodes to the games ( 90% of the series promotes the games but not like those episodes).

In fact, the only reason to doubt about those characters being companions is this international airing.

heres whats going to happen as hidden mew said they will air the da episode in the morning like always. the movie will air most likely at night around 7 like always then like they said the sneak peek eps will air after the movie. there is no reason for them not to air a new episode

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom