• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you buff/change a existing Alolan pokemon?

a new branch evolution line for our dragon pokemon .
Imagine 4 legged, with shield head and ball hammer tail, dragon/steel with multiscale and rolling based moves? or make it furry and ad fur coat? or new ability with immunity to fighting type moves or something that kind?

Alolan Sandslash has TWO double-weaknesses (it takes 4x damage from Fire and Fighting) yet its defence stats are bad.

make it learn "Powder" and maybe "spiky shield"? the spikes could be made of ice.
Till we dont get a "Protect" that freezes like banneful buncker poisons, we need to wait.

Can they just get some Speed? Honestly, before anything, these Slowpokes need points in their Speed stats, ASAP, because this is literally the slowest region of Pokemon we've had. I think only two Pokemon that aren't Legendary have over base 100 Speed (CMIIW), which is just ridiculous, IMO. There's no reason damn near every Pokemon should have snail-level speed.

Can they just get some Speed? Honestly, before anything, these Slowpokes need points in their Speed stats, ASAP, because this is literally the slowest region of Pokemon we've had. I think only two Pokemon that aren't Legendary have over base 100 Speed (CMIIW), which is just ridiculous, IMO. There's no reason damn near every Pokemon should have snail-level speed.
There's literally four (Lycanroc-Midday, Salazzle, Minior-Core, Ribombee). I hear you and I agree. What's worse is that a lot of Pokemon this generation have faster pre-evolutions than final evolutions. It's like they decided hey this speed is getting useable let's make it slow and "bulky." IIRC GameFreak stated that they made the Pokemon slower this generation because they wanted to counteract/change the meta... That back fired.

Last edited:
There's literally four (Lycanroc-Midday, Salazzle, Minior-Core, Ribombee). I hear you and I agree. What's worse is that a lot of Pokemon this generation have faster pre-evolutions than final evolutions. It's like they decided hey this speed is getting useable let's make it slow and "bulky." IIRC GameFreak stated that they made the Pokemon slower this generation because they wanted to counteract/change the meta... That back fired.

Even then, they don't have nearly the amount of bulk to make up for their speeds, IMO. I would have loved to use Lurantis after loving it in-game, but it's too slow, and doesn't get anything to make up for it. Useless Ability, low speed, and hardly capable of taking more than 2 hits. If they wanted to counter high speed Pokemon, they surely mismanaged. It saddens me because all this did was make no one want to use Alola mons competitively 3:

Alolan Sandslash has TWO double-weaknesses (it takes 4x damage from Fire and Fighting) yet its defence stats are bad.
I dont understand why they cant add it the move "Powder" and say that it has it on its back and has it from diggin in ground with explosive earth/powder plates.

Both Lycanroc formes need a better moveset. The lack of versatility in moves of other types is uncanny and it could have been beneficial to give it access to some Ground-, Steel- and (for Midnight forme) Dark-type moves.

I would give Golisopod another Ability next to Emergency Exit. I got the idea behind Wimpod, but it just doesn't fit Golisopod imo.

And speaking of Alolan Sandslash: I was surprised that it doesn't learn Iron Head.

Both Lycanroc formes need a better moveset. The lack of versatility in moves of other types is uncanny and it could have been beneficial to give it access to some Ground-, Steel- and (for Midnight forme) Dark-type moves.

I would give Golisopod another Ability next to Emergency Exit. I got the idea behind Wimpod, but it just doesn't fit Golisopod imo.

And speaking of Alolan Sandslash: I was surprised that it doesn't learn Iron Head.
To be fair, Alolan Sandslash does have access to Iron Head by its pre-evolution. I know its still odd that it just doesn't get it naturally, but it can get it. Also I was surprised they essentially gave Golisopod the same ability as Wimpod. At least give it intimidate as a hidden ability.

To be fair, Alolan Sandslash does have access to Iron Head by its pre-evolution. I know its still odd that it just doesn't get it naturally, but it can get it. Also I was surprised they essentially gave Golisopod the same ability as Wimpod. At least give it intimidate as a hidden ability.

Wow, really? That's.. odd. To say the least. I must've read past it, but poor Sandslash, lol.

And I agree, Intimidate would fit Golisopod very well.

I'd want Decidueye to learn Leech Seed so it can take advantage of that in combination with Spirit Shackle and U-turn for example. It will also help with Decidueye's quite decent defensive stats.

Wimp Out and Emergency exit both have exactly the same effect.
It would be cool if Emergency Exit would work like Sturdy that it stops exactly at 50% of hp and switches the user out.
Plus why should it self get rapped if its called Emergency exit?
I think its not reasonable to not activate when Pokémon's HP falls below half due to hurting itself in confusion, hail, sandstorm or using Substitute.
Also instead of flinching during battle it should switch out automatically.

Wimp Out I would modify that I would add that instead of flinching it also switches out.

Both should activate ad end of the turn.

Buff an ability - Pokemon Sun Message Board for 3DS - Page 4 - GameFAQs

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom