• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you buff/change a existing Alolan pokemon?

Decidueye: Take away 40 of its special attack and put it into speed. It will sit at 110 speed which is good while remaining with reasonable bulk. It's only got 2 special moves worth using so it isn't a loss.
Incineroar: Give it Pursuit, Knock Off and Drain Punch.
Primarina: Give it some support moves like wish. Make Liquid Voice give extra damage.
Vikavolt: Take some of its stats and put it into speed. Something that looks like a cross between a railgun, a beetle and a fighter plane shouldn't be slower than Golem.
Crabominable: Give it ice shard and mach punch. Hell you could even throw in aqua jet and rock polish too.
Lycanroc: Both get earthquake and pursuit. Midnight is now part dark and gets its own version of counter that returns 1.5 of all direct damage like metal burst and can do super effective damage. Midday is now part normal and learns extremespeed,
Salazzle: Corrosion lets poison moves hit steel types for neutral damage.
Lurantis: Now learns superpower so it has something to use with contrary.
Silvally: Now learns more support moves like WIll o Wisp, Roost and Stealth Rock so it can support the team better since its attacking stats are lackluster.
Komala: Give it an evolution.
Kommo-o: Move 20 special attack into physical attack and speed. Give it close combat and all the element punches.

I find it amusing that Decidueye, after evolving from Dartrix, still has the same HP and Defence. I think that, instead of the generally unused Special Attack, the extra stats could go into Defence. I feel that Shadow Sneak is another move that it would benefit from, even though it already have Sucker Punch.

Lycanroc's Midnight form is somewhat lacklustre now, and what I would like to do is to provide it with more inaccurate moves that it can take advantage of No Guard, because this is the one thing that it has that is better than its Midday form. Considering its bipedal form, it could even benefit from the elemental punches, with will give it more punch compared to its Midday form due to the extra power from the punches.

I feel that Tsareena benefits from having a Speed stat higher than 80, because 80 is the average Speed for fully-evolved Pokemon, and having Queenly Majesty blocking their priority is very beneficial for it, as it would now have full advantage of them. Some notables that are higher than 72 are Diggersby and Mamoswine.

Thanks for reading.

Midnight Lycanroc should have a Dark type to fit more with the lore.
that and Solid Rock or Fur Coat for its defensive side.

I feel that Shadow Sneak is another move that it would benefit from, even though it already have Sucker Punch.
Extreem Speed would be better for the power but Sucker Punch is also good.
They probably didnt give incineroar sucker punch becuse then Deciduey would have a funny situation rivalring it with its type disadvantage.

Here is Pokemon that I'd like to buff.

Toucannon.

HP 80
Attack 120
Defense 75
Sp. Atk 75
Sp. Def 75
Speed 60
BST : 485

I really like this Pokemon's design. I think it is one of the coolest looking regional birds out there. It also has a great 120 base attack and okay bulk. Now that the positives are out of the way, let's get to its problems. First of all, its offensive movepool, while not terrible, is average at best. It does get some cool moves such as Rock Blast and Bullet Seed to make use of its ability Skill Link but its best STAB Normal type option to exploit this ability leaves it with a pretty bad move in Fury Attack, which only hits an average of 75 base power and is only 85% accurate. Even Fury Swipes has (slightly) higher base power. It just isn't worth it IMO. The second problem being its terrible 60 base speed, which doesn't make any sense to me for being a Flying type Pokemon. It does get Flame Charge to patch it up a little, but I don't like wasting a whole moveslot just to do that. Also, its base 75 special attack is pretty random. Now, I can see its movepool consists of some special moves such as STAB Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Hyper Voice, Overheat and a few others probably not worth considering, but Swellow does that a million types better thanks to its amazing speed. Now, what would I do to fix it? Well, rather than changing its typing, I'd give it a better Normal Type STAB such as Tail Slap, well not exactly Tail Slap but at least a variation of it, having a similar base power. Double Edge would also be a viable alternative. I'd also give it something like Earthquake /Bone Rush to give it better coverage. Something for priority such as Quick Attack or Sucker Punch would also be a nice addition to its movepool. Knock Off and Pursuit are other great options for this Pokemon. Next, I would take away 40 or 50 points from its Special attack and add it to its speed. Effectively making it 100 or 110 base speed which is really nice. Given its access to U-turn, it would make for a decently fast offensive pivot while also being an all around good Pokemon that can perform more than one role. Sheer Force is also a cool Hidden Ability and boosting its speed would certainly help it to utilise that better.

Last edited:
i agree with the qualms w/ the speed stats of incineroar and vikavolt.

although incineroar gets intimidate as his HA, and base 90 defenses aren't too terrible.
maybe this

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
-Intimidate
-252Atk/252HP/4Def

-Flame Charge
-Flare Blitz
-Darkest Lariat
-Leech Life

1-2 flame charges to patch up its miserable speed, flare blitz for solid STAB damage, darkest lariat for dark STAB, and leech life to restore HP.

assault vest + intimidate pretty much guarantees survival to get off at least one flame charge, although strong attackers with supereffective STAB will probably KO.

keep rocks/hazards off the field and you're golden.

yeah vikavolt just needs the speed buff. sad that it has a base 43, i was expecting at least 110 given its physique. take some from defenses and give this bug the speed it needs to support that nuclear special attack stat.

was i the only one not expecting lycanroc to get EQ? granted many pokemon that look like they shouldn't be able to use it can, i didn't think GF would be that generous to stoner dog.

Some buffs that I would like to see are:
  1. Give Vikavolt Quiver Dance
  2. Give A-Exeggcutor + Guzzlord Dragon Pulse
  3. Give the give Tapu Koko/Bulu Play Rough
  4. Give Lurantis some more moves to use with it's Contrary ability

I doubt the metagame would be able to survive an even faster Greninja and Ash-Greninja.
Also, fire starters need better speeds.

I don't complain, I start to understand the speed paradox.
What if the starters of every next generation would be faster then those of past generations? do you understand the paradox? Then every past generation would be worser and worser.

Deciduey with Sucker Punch and 110 attack is quite a match for Delphox and its defence.
Hmmm, Incineroar is really based on a tiger that waits and attacks with a bum or that strikes first and hard(Fake Out).

What do you think about it having 70 speed as Samurott? coincidence? or strategy?
Primarina, Incineroar , Empoleon, Swampert all at speed 60?

(If we get a water/electric jaguar , cat starter, how fast should it be? it will have probably aqua jet. But the dimelema is with its relation to other water starters, attack,defence and special stats taking Primarinas typing rather we will get a water/poison now, but electric may happen next, what then?This needs to hapen if we take the tiger and probably a grass/rock puma. A cat trio would be nice)

If Deciduey would have Grass Whistle and Dream Eater then it could survice longer and could make better use of Facade.

Mudsdale would need Muddy water and a priority move like Quick attack.
Really, then more Alolan pokemon would need simply "quick attack" to become a little better.
I would make Primarinas signature move Sparkling Aria make her heal herself from any status conditions when being used in single and double battles. If she can heal a other poke then why not herself? Then it would make it more worthy to use it.
The problem with Muddy Water(90, reduces evasion), Sparkling Aria(90, heals in doubles) is that Surf(100) and Hydro Pump(110) are more powerfull and thats why more used...

I feel like Lunala's x4 weakness to Ghost and Dark are balanced by its otherwise respectable bulk. It certainly appreciate partners with Defog or Rapid Spin for the sake of maintaining Shadow Shield, which is where a fair measure of that bulk comes from, and that requires playing around. But as long as the right measures are taken, it can take a serious beating.

All in all, I feel like the Alola Pokemon most deserving of a buff is poor Shiinotic. A base stat total of 405 is nothing short of abysmal. Even with its promising variety of support moves and unique healing option in Strength Sap, it can only do so much when it's not K.O.'d. Which it often is. A little more bulk, maybe in the HP department, would do wonders for it.

Edit: A different Hidden Ability would probably help, too, and Rain Dish personally doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me. Maybe something like Prankster? Its habit of getting people lost in the woods would kind of support it.

Last edited:
All in all, I feel like the Alola Pokemon most deserving of a buff is poor Shiinotic. A base stat total of 405 is nothing short of abysmal. Even with its promising variety of support moves and unique healing option in Strength Sap, it can only do so much when it's not K.O.'d. Which it often is. A little more bulk, maybe in the HP department, would do wonders for it.

has the same total base stats as Parasect(where is my "Powder"???) and is its oposite in the other game.

Yes the Prankster thing would work well with Strenght Sap.

Lycanroc Dusk- Iron tail, Play Rough, Flame Charge, Dig, Psychic Fang, bounce, Extreem Speed.
-Sandstorm , Sunny Day?

Lycanroc Midnight - Moon shine, Moon blast, poison jab, low sweap, shadow ball, phantom force,

Lycanroc Day- baby doll-eyes, play rough, sandstorm,

I would swap the signature abilities of Salazzle and Toxapex, it feels like they have the wrong ones. The offensively focused Salazzle would always crit any poisoned foes and just torch Steel types anyway, while the defensively focused Toxapex can then wear down Steel types and other Poison types with Toxic.

The one pokemon I really want them to change is Oricorio
reasons:
we have 4 distinct forms, with different types each. BUT they all have the same (terrible, abysmal, godawful) moveset. WHY? Why even bother to have FOUR forms if they're essentially the same?
The only STAB they get for the secondary typing is Revelation Dance. So pointless. That is why I propose:

a) make them like Rotom forms. Have a basic move for all 4 (Air Cutter or something) that changes with the form. So it can change to Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Psychic and Shadow Ball.

b) get rid of the form change it altogether, make them unable to change their form and give distinct movepools and stat spread to each form. So Baile can get Will-O-Wisp, Flamethrower, Fire Blast etc Pom Pom can get Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch etc. Sensu can get Shadow Sneak, Ominous Wind, Confuse Ray, Hex, Grudge etc. The pink one should have Psyshock, Hypnosis Extrasensory, etc.

The could also get Terrain moves. They could be so versatile and fun to use. But they're not. They are disappointing and gimmicky. As pointless as Deerling.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom