• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh How would you compare and change new 8 gen pokemon with old ones that have exact the same typing?

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
-stats
-abilities
-movesets

Lets take all water/rock and rock/water into research.

Noticed shel armor and swift swim are to often used.

I would change Drednaw’s typing from Water/Rock to Water/Ground. We already have a Water/Rock turtle in Carracosta and the Rock and Ground typings are similar enough thematically for it to work in my opinion. I’d also replace Shell Armor with Sand Force as Shell Armor is overused on turtle Pokémon. Torkoal, Turtonator, and the Torterra line all have the ability already, and that’s over half of all turtle Pokémon excluding Drednaw. I feel like Sand Force fits Drednaw as it has a tough and powerful appearance. At the very least, it’s more fitting on Drednaw than it is on Gastrodon.

I would add the Ice typing to Alcremie, making it dual Fairy/Ice, to help differentiate it from Slurpuff. Whipped cream has to be refrigerated, and is best served cold anyway. I would also add Slush Rush, Snow Cloak, Gooey, or Sticky Hold as an ability to distance Alcremie even further from Slurpuff. As it stands, they’re both singular Fairy types based on desserts with only Sweet Veil as their regular ability.

Last edited:
I would change Drednaw’s typing from Water/Rock to Water/Ground. We already have a Water/Rock turtle in Carracosta and the Rock and Ground typings are similar enough thematically for it to work in my opinion. I’d also replace Shell Armor with Sand Force as Shell Armor is overused on turtle Pokémon. Torkoal, Turtonator, and the Torterra line all have the ability already, and that’s over half of all turtle Pokémon excluding Drednaw. I feel like Sand Force fits Drednaw as it has a tough and powerful appearance. At the very least, it’s more fitting on Drednaw than it is on Gastrodon.

I would add the Ice typing to Alcremie, making it dual Fairy/Ice, to help differentiate it from Slurpuff. Whipped cream has to be refrigerated, and is best served cold anyway. I would also add Slush Rush, Snow Cloak, Gooey, or Sticky Hold as an ability to distance Alcremie even further from Slurpuff. As it stands, they’re both singular Fairy types based on desserts with only Sweet Veil as their regular ability.
Physical oriented Slurpuff and special oriented Alcremie. But You are right.
They could/should get more.

Drednaw felt like water steel or dragon but maybe rock to not overpower it? Wanted always a Sap sipper water/rock or ground user. It has still a chance.

Dreadnaw's type has been overused to hell but I can't think about anything else that fits. He's not a sea creature and leans more on the Rock side, so there's that.
Corviknight fits its type pretty well, as instead of being made of steel it apparently uses an armor.
Duraludon is the robotic dragon a lot of people were waiting, but I'm not really a fan of its design and I have my doubts whether it looks Dragon-like enough. I prefer Dialga even if it doesn't look Steel-type at first glance either.

Cramorant water/flying , nice new ability , hope it gets Sky Drop, Stockpile, Spit Up, Flying Press, Water Pulse, Whirlpool

Would be nice if it could hit underwater those dive users and activate its ability too.
Sky Drop would fit that role to pick up a pokemon from under water... or maybe Sky Dive? Dive under?
We will see. Like the concept.

A nother candidate for Beak Blast?

whats the difference between Magic Armor and Magic Bounce exactly?
one reflects stats lowering effect from damage dealing moves the other from status only?
Interesting... One steel type got it now, who else?

whats the difference between Magic Armor and Magic Bounce exactly?
one reflects stats lowering effect from damage dealing moves the other from status only?
Interesting... One steel type got it now, who else?
Magic Bounce reflects all non-damaging moves that target the Pokémon with the Ability while Magic Armor reflects only those that would only lower a stat. I’m not 100% sure if Magic Armor would work on damaging moves.

Magic Bounce reflects all non-damaging moves that target the Pokémon with the Ability while Magic Armor reflects only those that would only lower a stat. I’m not 100% sure if Magic Armor would work on damaging moves.

worked in one of the trailers if I'm not wrong. If Intimidate, if stats reduction moves then also those with damage should send back at least the status reduction back.
Should in my opinion.
Even should block the damage from those moves that reduce stats if it could.
All those speed reducing moves and abilities... Hmmm Cotton Down will back fire on Eldegos and Gooey on Goodra.

worked in one of the trailers if I'm not wrong. If Intimidate, if stats reduction moves then also those with damage should send back at least the status reduction back.
Should in my opinion.
Even should block the damage from those moves that reduce stats if it could.
I only recall it working on non-damaging moves and Abilities in the trailers. No damaging ones.
I agree that it would be nice if it reflected the stat-reductions that were the result of damaging moves as well, but I don’t think it should/would have any effect on the damage aspect. That’s not really what the Ability is designed to do.

I only recall it working on non-damaging moves and Abilities in the trailers. No damaging ones.
I agree that it would be nice if it reflected the stat-reductions that were the result of damaging moves as well, but I don’t think it should/would have any effect on the damage aspect. That’s not really what the Ability is designed to do.

from the past we had abilities that changed. Don't say it wouldn't be cool and usefull if it would also block damage from such moves that lower stats? imagine bumbble beam, bulldoze, mythycal fire, razor shel and other moves...

from the past we had abilities that changed. Don't say it wouldn't be cool and usefull if it would also block damage from such moves that lower stats? imagine bumbble beam, bulldoze, mythycal fire, razor shel and other moves...
Abilities change between generations; not in the time between being shown in a trailer for a game and the game’s release.

And I never said it wouldn’t be cool or useful? I just said that that’s not how the Ability appears to function.

Typing and abilities... again Wooloo and Run Away ability?
We didn't had a normal sheep but normal types and Run Away are something weird with how it works now.
Hope that Run Away got buffed because getting trapped by binding and trapping moves, abilities and beeing hit with Pursuit was always hard enough.

Typing and abilities... again Wooloo and Run Away ability?
We didn't had a normal sheep but normal types and Run Away are something weird with how it works now.
There's nine other lines of Normal types with Run Away-why would it be weird?
Hope that Run Away got buffed because getting trapped by binding and trapping moves, abilities and beeing hit with Pursuit was always hard enough.
Run Away has always been able to escape from binding/trapping moves and abilities.

There's nine other lines of Normal types with Run Away-why would it be weird?

Run Away has always been able to escape from binding/trapping moves and abilities.

"wild encounters" we need in battle usage. during regular battles.

And we already have Water/Ground in Quagsire, Swampert, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad...

Yes, but none of those are turtles. And besides, there’s the same number of Water/Rock and Water/Ground types, ten.

Yes, but none of those are turtles.

I guess, but I don't see why them both being turtles is something worth being concerned about. We also have plenty of Rock/Water-types that aren't turtles, and we have many turtles that aren't Water- or Rock-types. A pair of Pokémon from a pool of 900 being somewhat aesthetically similar (it should be noted that they are clearly still based on different kinds of turtles - Carracosta being an extinct kind of sea turtle, against Drednaw which is a more land-adapted snapping turtle) is a pretty minuscule redundancy, especially since their aesthetics don't necessarily mean they will function similarly in battle (or if that will even be relevant, since Carracosta might not be in these games).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom