• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you deal with a loss in a REAL Pokemon battle?

How would you deal with a loss?

• Suck it up and keep training

Votes: 59 57.3%
  • Complain about it because its not fair

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Shake hands, hold your head up and learn from it

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Say nothing and just walk off the field

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Blame your Pokemon and give them the "Paul" treatment

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Never battle again

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Demand a rematch

Votes: 21 20.4%

• Total voters
I'd probably be more frustrated than when I lose in-game battles (possibly even to feet-stamping levels) but it would still be good-natured frustration; I wouldn't be mardy or a bad sport. I'd just suck it up and keep training, congratulating the foe (unless I hated them or something).

Me, I would shake hands, hold my head up and learn from the loss. But once I was off the field, I'd release my Pokemon from its ball, drop to my knees, throw my arms around it and cry while apologizing profusely. I would never hold the loss against it; I'd blame myself for the slag up. My Pokemon did everything it could to try and get me the win. I was the one who couldn't support it or wasn't doing my best and that's why we lost.

Would I ask for a rematch? Maybe. If it was a very close loss, I probably would. Would I praise the winner? That depends. If my Pokemon was utterly destroyed by my opponent, I'd probably just say congratulations and leave it at that. If it were a close match, I definitely would, as the win could have gone either way. Would I stay and watch the other matches? Definitely. That way I could pick up some new strategies and improve my team as much as possible. But I would never, ever treat my Pokemon like Paul treated his. I'd love my 'Mon a bit too much to be that cruel.

You know I've always tried to be a good sport in boxing and football so I think this would be no different.

I wouldn't sulk and I would just keep my head up.

I don't even hate losing to be honest. I dislike it but losing gives you knowledge.

Even after the match we would just heal our wounds and move on :p

Meh, I'll jsut suck it up and keep training. Realistically speaking, unless going against someone who is significantly more/less experienced than you msot battles would go turn for turn so I guess all one can do to win next time is train harder and try not to repeat whatever mistakes or tactics had cost him the battle. It'd would suck losing early on in an important tournament, tho.

I guess it depends on the battle. Maybe I could be noble and shake hands with the opponent and say thanks for a good match and opportunity to learn. Or I could just simply admit my loss and train harder.

But come on, it's hard NOT to be upset after losing. If it were me, I would scream and protest and cry, complain about the match and even try to find some faulty foul or cheat in the opponent. I know it's not a nice thing to do, but I guess I could do that if I get really upset after a lost battle.

I mean, it's pointless to cry about a loss. However if the person cheated or won because of a cheap accident, I would be a little pissed, but I wouldn't cry about it. I guess if the person I lost to was a real butt about it, I would train so much so that I could wipe the floor with them the next time I battled.

Normally, I'm not a sore loser, so I suppose I'd act cool-headed most of the times I lost. Of course I'd try to look at what I did wrong and improve it next time. However, if it was a close match or the opponent cheated, I guess I'd be pissed (mostly with myself for the former, and with the opponent in the latter case). Oh, and losses by dumb luck wouldn't make me too happy either, in which case I guess I'd insist in a rematch.

Normally, I'm not a sore loser, so I suppose I'd act cool-headed most of the times I lost. Of course I'd try to look at what I did wrong and improve it next time. However, if it was a close match or the opponent cheated, I guess I'd be pissed (mostly with myself for the former, and with the opponent in the latter case). Oh, and losses by dumb luck wouldn't make me too happy either, in which case I guess I'd insist in a rematch.

Basically all that ghaskan said. Losses in a Pokemon battle shouldn't be too different from losses in regular sport matches, except that in the former we view them from the perspective of the trainer.

It would depend on how bad my Pokemon got a beating. D8 If it was a serious battle, and my Pokemon was seriously hurt, I'd panic and cry and take my Pokemon to safety. OTL If it was a friendly spar where no-one got really hurt, I'd probably get mad and claim my opponent hacked cheated somehow.

I'd just suck it up, head to the Pokemon Center, heal up, and get back to training. After a while, though, I'd probably find the trainer who beat me and beat them for revenge.

I'd wonder where the off switch went. XD

No, seriously, I'd walk away contently and train. I wouldn't waste time or energy by complaining.

I'm not sure. I would be probably a bit shamed for losing in the front of a huge crowd and of course somewhat disappointed, at least if the match was something as huge as a league battle. But I'm a good loser, so it wouldn't bother me long and of course I would be happy for that, who won me. Back to happy training then :).

But if someone beat me like Tobias beat Ash in Sinnoh League, I would be more like "lol wth just happend :D" and then just laugh at the whole losing.

Clearly, I don't know exactly how I'd respond as I don't have the opportunity to test out my theories. However, I have competed in other areas, and I have to say that my reaction depends on my performance. If I was outclassed by a totally superior trainer, I honestly wouldn't care. In fact, I would be honoured and grateful to have the opportunity to battle against someone so obviously out of my league, try to learn everything I could from my mistakes, console my Pokémon and redouble our training efforts. If I lost against someone close to my own skill level, I'd be pretty pissed off. I'd probably try to bottle it up because I like being a good sport, but I know that I can be quite pissy and a poor loser sometimes, so I would probably either walk away without saying anything, or ask for a rematch. Mostly, it's about being satisfied with my own performance. If I know I battled to the best of my ability and still lost, I could be satisfied and accept it, but if I thought I lost because I didn't live up to my potential, I wouldn't like it. If I lost against someone I perceived as lesser in ability to myself I'd be pretty pissed off no matter what. Regardless, though, I'd never blame my Pokémon for my own shortcomings. That's just... well... yeah.

I voted for "suck it up and keep training". "Shake hands, hold your head up, and learn from it" is a bit too much human contact for me to be comfortable with. :p

Though of course I would learn from it. Given the right moves and move combinations, I even come up with strategies (I smell a new blog post). I don't just go out and try to bludgeon the other Pokemon to death. If I lost, I would just say "Oh, well", allow the other trainer to take from my wallet (I just couldn't handle giving it to them), and walk away.

I'd beat my Pokemon silly with a toaster for being utterly worthless.
Nah, I jest, I jest.

I'd probably just accept the defeat and try better the next time.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom