• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you deal with a loss in a REAL Pokemon battle?

How would you deal with a loss?

• Suck it up and keep training

Votes: 59 57.3%
  • Complain about it because its not fair

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Shake hands, hold your head up and learn from it

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Say nothing and just walk off the field

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Blame your Pokemon and give them the "Paul" treatment

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Never battle again

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Demand a rematch

Votes: 21 20.4%

• Total voters
I'd probably just say "good game" and keep training. Embarrassment would vary depending on how the match went and the trainer I was up against.

I'd just walk away. I'd be really annoyed, but not at my Pokémon, so we'd just go away and train. I would choose "Suck it up and keep training", but I wouldn't really have sucked it up - I'd keep thinking about it, pretty much obsessing over it. If it was a close battle, though, I'd probably be fine with it - at least I'd come close to winning.

It's not really for me to decide like that. It can depend on lots of things - like how important the match was to me and who was my opponent.

I voted "Suck it up and keep training" and "Shake hands, hold your head up and learn from it."

I'd be a bit disappointed and probably feel "blah" for the rest of the day, but after a good night's sleep I'd be alright and start training again. Not positive about how my Pokémon would be, but if belief of "Pokémon take after their trainers" holds true for them, then they'll be fine too after a trip to the Pokémon Center.

If it was a total curbstomp battle it may take a bit longer to recover though.

Demand a rematch~! :D After looking at what you could improve upon and training go back and demand a rematch! >:3 Hehe :p

I'd probably try to comfort my Pokemon. I can deal with a loss, but if they are as intelligent as they're portrayed in the anime, they'd be pretty upset :s

I thought I answered this a long time ago, but turns out I only voted in the poll.

My vote is "say nothing and just walk off the field", because it's what I'd do as soon I would have lost. Not exactly the best thing to do, but I know me well enough. However, I'd repass the entire battle in my head many time to see what went wrong and how I could improve my team or my tactics. I would also think about what my opponent did, and possibly take his or her strategy, modify it and make it my own. Losing a battle would be a good way to improve and to get better. Also, I'd never blame the loss on my Pokémon unless it disobeyed me or something. A victory is because of the Pokémon and a loss is the fault of the trainer.

Depends on the match. Day-to-day losses are something that could be a disappointment, but you could bounce back within a few hours. Losing a Gym Battle is a bigger deal, but more expected, with a similar recovery time, while losing at a major tournament (particularly after spending the time to fight through the rest of the League) would definitely have me put down for several days. Given my usual response to this sort of thing, I'm almost sure that I would demand a rematch and sulk until I beat the offending trainer, possibly even digging around for some sort of unfairness to justify my loss. Not the most honorable reaction, but the most likely one if I'm to be honest. I could also see myself both blaming my own lack of ability and subconsciously working my Pokémon harder without directly blaming them.

If I get beat, I come at the problem again until I overcome it. Simple as that.

I'd probably try to comfort my Pokemon. I can deal with a loss, but if they are as intelligent as they're portrayed in the anime, they'd be pretty upset :s
This. I can deal with losing a battle but failing my Pokemon? Yeah, that would crush me.

Once the battle was done and I got off that field, I'd have my Pokemon in my arms. Or if it was too large to hold I'd be on my knees, hugging it. I'd also be reassuring it that everything's okay, it did a great job and it shouldn't blame itself. I'd also tell it that I'll do better next time. We have each other, we can get through anything together.

I'd be the guy demanding a rematch. Over and over again until either I win, or you won't battle me anymore.

I WON'T REST UNTIL MY RATTATA SMITES YOUR SNORLAX DOWN UPON THE ROCKS BELOW!

I don't lose much. But I would probably do what Silver does (because I have serious temper problems). Get really mad, train mercilessly until I can smash everything, then come back and murder my opponent's Pokémon. Figuratively or literally? What do you think?

As the Dark Lord Wheatley, I would probably learn from my mistakes, only to commit new ones.

LOOK BEHIND!!! A THREE-HEADED MONKEY!!! (disappears silently)

then I keep training.

I have no problem on accepting a defeat and learn from it... but by far the hardest part would be... giving my money :'(

Hmmmm.... Depends on where and what. Just some random battle... not too upset. Unless I was on a route, in the evening, with a Pokemon Center a day or more away. Then I'd be a bit worried (although I always carry revives and potions). If it was a Gym Battle... I'd be pretty annoyed. Whether I showed it or not would depend on the gym leader I was facing. And if it was the Champion...

BWWAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ANGRY!!

...Or something like that.

If it's a battle against a trainer, I will congratulate my opponent for winning, left the battlefield, tell myself that I have done my best, and promised to myself to improve.

That's what I've just done earlier this night...

But if it's against a wild Pokemon, I will...RUN FOR MY LIFE!!!

I'd feel bad about letting my partners down.

:(

I hate letting others down. A lot...

I'd try to suck it up I guess though. Afterall, others only feel worse if you gain guilt over them...*I know this all too well too*

...People who would do the Paul Treatment should...really seek theoropy :/ srsly....0_o; x-x; (to say it lightly, of course :|)

Pokémon are lifelong partners, like a pet can be a really close friend. But if you think about it Pokémon can be even much more closer because they practicly think and feel even more-so close to how humans do. If you had pokemon, you'd might never need other humans ever again, pretty much. Why would you ever want to abuse some of the BEST friends you could ever make in your LIFE?..
D:

...i mean it too. they're like people, but in soo many ways, much less prown to cruelty..usually.

It would be the worst thing ever.

If I were to deal with a loss in a Pokemon battle, I would do everything that I possibly could to try to make my Pokemon feel better. I'd be more concerned about how they would feel rather than myself.

I'd tell the opponent that they did a good job, and compliment them on their skills, and then I'd think of everything that I could to improve myself. But most importantly, I would try to make my Pokemon feel better about themselves.

If i lost a very important battle like the league i would probably think i let my Pokemon down and the people who supported me down as well and would disappear after the league is over for a few hours or walk back to my home town so i could think and when i get back i would rest for a few day's so i can think some more about if i should continue training Pokemon or just quit but seeing the fact i am to stubborn and would not quit like a coward would i would drop my five other Pokemon with my family or the Professor of the region an dtake my starter Pokemon with and start anew in another region try to win that tournament.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom