• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you feel if Journeys was suddenly cancelled and then reimagined from the beginning?

How would you feel about it?

• I wish

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Wouldn't mind

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Neutral

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Wouldn't like that

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Hopefully it never happens

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Audino1008

Reaction score
The series ends abruptly, and the next episode starts over from the same point as the beginning of Journeys; Everything prior to Journeys is still canon to this timeline, and the start of Journeys is similar: Ash and Goh work at Cerise Park, the PWC and Pokedex+Project Mew are still their respective goals, maybe a few things are changed (perhaps Cerise Park could be located in Galar?) but after that point the show is just completely new with a different approach and more consistant ideas. It might be a bit confusing to Younger viewers, but how would YOU feel?

I think, at this point, it'd still be stuck with an issue that's been complained about time and time again... pacing. I don't know how long is left in Gen VIII, but I doubt it's more than a year, maaybe two. A new series would be trying to to do in two years, if we're being generous, what Journeys would've been doing in around twice that (again, if we're being generous and estimating a four year gen). It'd be pretty dang hard not to feel rushed.

If it still focused on just Ash and Goh without adding Chloe as the third main from the start then there'd be no point in doing it, but even then too much has happened since the series started to make it not be a giant spit in the face to every viewer, so I'm going to have to say, "wouldn't like that."

Much earlier in the series I would have probably been open to it.

It would be terrible. The Pokémon Company would basically be admitting that Journeys was a terrible mistake. While the fans would agree with Journeys being one of the worst series, it would look really bad for The Pokémon Company to say “we are sorely disappointed with the anime staff and will do everything over”. It would show that they publically aren’t happy with the anime to the point where they think current Journeys is ruining the Pokémon branding. At this point, it would be better if Journeys continued as-is and they sweep it under the rug like the Best Wishes series. It would just be a nightmare for The Pokémon Company to explain the sudden do-over for Journeys.

I don't really see the benefit of starting all over again at this point. I can understand why some fans aren't thrilled with Journeys, but we're in the middle of the series' second year. As much as I would love to see a proper adaptation of Sword/Shield featuring its characters and new Pokemon, it wouldn't make sense to do that, trying to do so within roughly a year or at most two before the new generation starts would be pretty rushed. Not to mention it wouldn't really make much sense marketing wise when Sword/Shield aren't going to be the newest main series titles in a few months.

Resetting all of Ash's progress in the PWC would probably just upset people who do like that tournament. Plenty of people enjoy Goh and Chloe, so having them back to square one wouldn't really help. The only good thing about that would potentially be to have Chloe part of the main cast from the start, but even then, I don't think it would be worth erasing two years' worth of episodes. This wouldn't really do much aside from appealing to people who dislike Journeys and the higher ups wouldn't really care about appealing to older fans like that anyway, so nothing about this concept seems realistic or a good approach to the series for that matter. I don't think Journeys is unsalvageable or that they can only make it work by starting over with a clean slate. I'm probably just tired of hearing and dealing with these kind of complaints, but it just seems like such an overreaction over disliking a series.

I imagine a lot of people would be angered if they were to just randomly start over again.

Just think about how Ash is so close to Leon is only to wake up the next week and find out he's back in his room again, starting from scratch all the way at the bottom.

Well, then again that's how every season starts but imagine that in the middle of the season.

As much as I'm not liking what Journeys is doing, it's better to continue the story on than just hitting the reset button for no reason.

I'd be pretty glad it if was cancelled mostly because thought this series ash has not been the main character he feels like a side character tbh goh literally catches legendary Pokémon why ash catches less and isn't ash's dream to become a "pokemon master" and really hasn't put the effort to be one.

This isn't too realistic. I wouldn't be too happy. Journeys is ok now, I see ways it could be one of the best series. It would feel odd and out of place since I'm used to this current canon

Seeing Journeys implode and be erased from existence is my dream.. soo...

But seriously, jokes aside: that would be messy as hell. And forget every other controversy this show ever had: just imagine what would the public's reactions be like if this happened. Besides the fact that I'm 99,9999% sure this wouldn't ever happen.

They just need to let Ash battle Elite Four members, struggle at some point and use reserves. For Go, I need to see what they're doing with Project Mew to give concrete advice, but suffice to say that Go should at least use a full team pretty consistently.

The series doesn't need a reboot at all. It is not too late to fix it.

They just need to let Ash battle Elite Four members, struggle at some point and use reserves.
Sorry, but cheap nostalgia appeal won't fix Ash's Team at all. They just need to give development and training episodes for his current team, like they did with Farfetch'd.

Sorry, but cheap nostalgia appeal won't fix Ash's Team at all. They just need to give development and training episodes for his current team, like they did with Farfetch'd.
Sorry, but he is going to need more diversity to get close to being declared the world's strongest trainer. This isn't another regional league, and they can develop his current team regardless (hopefully without cheaps gimmicks, but I doubt that).

Sorry, but he is going to need more diversity to get close to being declared the world's strongest trainer. This isn't another regional league, and they can develop his current team regardless (hopefully without cheaps gimmicks, but I doubt that).
Yeah, the writers can do both. Tomioka already demonstrated that with the Battle Frontier.

Many of Journeys' problems come from a bad beginning, as they didn't know how to define Goh's goal and what to do with Ash, Chloe and Ash's team. So a reboot potentially could define it better and the series would have better pacing afterwards. However I think that we would eventually get to the point we're now, so it could feel redundant.

Also, I'm someone who prefers looking forward to new stories over reboots, remakes and all that, so I'd definitely prefer is they tried to make something good with the concept they have, which isn't that bad and has some potential.

That's such silly thing to do I would absolutely love it. It would be great if they redid best wishes too just for shits and giggles.

It's interesting to see that they are going to stick their guns on the pokemon anime always starting Ash and his Pikachu.

Journeys is an unfocused mess. It should've been an adaptation of Sword & Shield's story from the beginning. But apparently, the production team didn't know where to go after having Ash win the Alola League. There's so much that could be done with Galar and its characters. We could've had Ash travelling Galar like the good old days. He could've been travelling with Gloria and Hop (or instead of Gloria, bring back Serena and make AmourShipping canon). The two expansion passes offer up even MORE storytelling potential.

Instead, we have Ash constantly region-hopping with a Mary Sue whose one purpose is to shill Pokemon GO, the plot of SWSH is treated as an afterthought with a one-and-done two-parter, and old characters like Dawn, Iris, Gary, and Korrina are brought back just to play on people's nostalgia (and in Iris' case, make it clear the events of B2W2 are apparently canon to the anime) instead of contributing anything of value. At least when Brock and Misty appeared in SM, they were given something to do beyond pandering to original series fans. I'd hate to see how they'd treat May or ESPECIALLY Serena if they were brought back.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom