• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you feel if the starters got Version Exclusive or Day Night Evolutions?

How would you like the starter evolutions?

• Split Version Exclusive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Split Day/Night Exclusive

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • Nope, Single Evolutions for me, please.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really care, to be honest, about either. Although I would vastly prefer day/night evos, I think that it is likely judging by what they did with Rockruff that they'll go for the version exclusive angle. Honestly though, Game Freak has been doing stuff like this for years. To me, a version exclusive evolution is little different than a version exclusive Pokemon that I want and cannot have. It isn't really all that new or revolutionary of an idea, and I'm surprised it took them this long to implement it. It helps that I will have access to both versions, as my husband will be playing too. Of course, my opinion of this would sour considerably if they made it so that a Pokemon GENERATED in a version can only evolve into that version's exclusive, even if you trade it to the other. I highly dislike using traded Pokemon.

But yes, giving the starters branching evolutions is something we would've never imagined, something new for the series. Whatever direction they go with, I hope it happens because it's so interesting. The problem of completely dismissing a starter because it's final evolution is really ugly to me would be mitigated considerably. I would quite enjoy that.

I don't really care, although I wonder if this generation's starters would be less distinct (with significantly less potential to become iconic) because of it.

Lycanroc would still be obtainable in both games since it is a single pokemon with forms that are version exclusives. The starters are clearly not getting any branch evolution since it would have been seen in the pokedex. Day/Night forms maybe but certainly not two fully evolutions for a single starter pokemon.

Lycanroc would still be obtainable in both games since it is a single pokemon with forms that are version exclusives. The starters are clearly not getting any branch evolution since it would have been seen in the pokedex. Day/Night forms maybe but certainly not two fully evolutions for a single starter pokemon.

Although you make a good point, its to know that one should never count out the possibility. Sun and Moon have been very unpredictable, especially with concepts like the Ultra Beasts and the like. As the saying goes: "Never say never." You will never know what these games will come up with next.

If these evolutions are going to be split form by version, I at least hope we will get shown what forms go to what game before the games come out so we can at least get the one we want more. I'll probably end up reserving a copy for Sun as well and just get them both day one, even though my wallet will not thank me for it, and probably just start both until I see which evolution goes to which and just delete the save file on one of them and continue on. Despite my excitement to get it day one, I probably won't go in to get them until the afternoon comes, so possibly by then someone will have found out or there will be info.

I don't really care, although I wonder if this generation's starters would be less distinct (with significantly less potential to become iconic) because of it.
Maybe one or two will, but I can imagine one of the starters (probably Rowlet's evolution) having a form akin to Mega Charizard X and another less popular/advertised form.

And let's be honest: A lot of the fully evolved starters are not very iconic.

This would be amazing. There needs to be more reason to buy both games. They've been WAY too similar in the past, imo. I hope they become much more distinct as individual titles.

I am still thinking that Split forms are a thing that Rockruff shares with the starters...

If they are, what we saw in the leaks are most likely the Midday formes. They seem like the obvious natural progression based on their second stage evos.

I vaguely remember a leak that mentioned Popplio having a second form as a clown and Litten having a second form as a gangster/burglar. Can't remember what it said Rowlet's alternate was. And to me if you read the descriptions of the middle stages it almost seems like they trade off between describing two very different natured Pokemon. I mean Torracat packs a mean punch but can sense someone behind it in the dark. Brionne loves to put on a show with balls for crowds but dances with other Brionne in the moonlight. And Dartrix is capable of insane precision with discarding his feathers as weapons yet frantically obsessed with his appearance. Not saying that random leak has merit because I can't even find it. But it just seems like they're vaguely trying to describe two different outcomes under the guise of one middle stage on the official sites descriptions.

I agree with this excellent analysis, even though I am mostly fine with the starters as they are right now. Very curious as to what an "edgier" pop star Pokemon would be? Hope they don't mean Brionne becomes Miley Cyrus under the influence of Lunala... Dartrix's potential Midnight stage becomes pretty pompous (Empoleon) rather than the epic Robin Hood/Green Arrow analogue.

Still, really wanting an edgy quadruped Tiger with good nighttime senses. #TeamRowlett in Sun;#TeamLitten in Moon if things turn out that way.

personally i think these leaked finals are the night forms.

Well, lets analyze Torracat's flavor text:

Torracat’s emotions cause a rise in the organ’s temperature, and when the organ spits flames, it rings with the high, clear sound of a bell. Torracat attacks using the flames emitted from this bell.

That seems like a pretty solid relation to its leaked evolution. We know that it attacks from that organ like this pre-evo does, and the sound that it makes could actually be a reference to an in-ring bell; hence the wrestler theme.

Torracat’s mane serves as an excellent sensory organ, and it can sense what’s going on around it—even in the dark! It can also detect the presence of hidden enemies.

These seem like traits better suited to a cat hunting at night, rather than some beefed up wrestler cat. It might discard the initial organ's bell sound/attack for better sensory abilities.

Torracat has a great love for battle and will attack so relentlessly that its opponents lose the will to fight.

The Tiger Mask esque forme.

And yet it sometimes behaves like spoiled child in front of Trainers or Pokémon with whom it has built a relationship of trust.

The other possible forme, which might behave more like a traditional cat. The "spoiled child" bit would indicate that it doesn't yet have the composure, discipline, & honor that T-Mask does. Being active mainly at night, and not becoming a professional fighter, it never learns these traits.

The cat punch that this Pokémon can dish out with its strong forelegs is extremely powerful. It can bend iron bars and knock out large men with a single blow!

T-Mask again.

From my personal speculation, I think that Torracat will either gain control of its emotions and become a quieter stealthier cat better at detecting enemies during nighttime, or it will let its emotions/passions for battle go unchecked and become the wrestling Tiger Mask esque forme that challenges strong opponents in broad daylight. I might analyze the other two later, since I also believe they are the Midday formes; although I admit I am not as fully convinced like I am with Torracat.

Last edited:
i am also wondering

brionne-> clown in one version siren in the other
torracat-> sabertooth in one version and wrestler in the other
dartrix butler? in one version and archer in the other.

i am also wondering

brionne-> clown in one version siren in the other
torracat-> sabertooth in one version and wrestler in the other
dartrix butler? in one version and archer in the other.

I'd be quite pleased if this were the case. I was hoping for a clownish evolution of Popplio from the start and I'm not liking Brionne at all right now.

I've been out of the weeds for the last month so apologies if I'm asking a question with an obvious answer -- but has Rockruff and the starters' shared secret been revealed?

If not, isn't it safe to assume this is it?

I've been out of the weeds for the last month so apologies if I'm asking a question with an obvious answer -- but has Rockruff and the starters' shared secret been revealed?

It's assumed to be version exclusive evolutions

Well technically, it wasn't stated that the secret was the same secret, though it is possible. CoroCoro referred to Lycanroc as Rockruff's "secret evolution" so I guess the version exclusive appearances were its secret.

The starters' secret has yet to be revealed though. Though I'm still hoping for time based split forms evolutions.

Its assumed split evolution like Rockruff has (and assumed that these will be version exclusive) however...
some are saying the translation was not right on it and they don't share the same secret.
Regardless I would imagine this corocoro that is coming out will reveal whatever it is about the starters and the trailer on the 14th may explain or talk about it a little more.
If there is split evolution or not, Corocoro I would imagine will say it first. (like they did with rockruff)

Quite honestly, I'm holding out for single evolutions. This shared secret has started to somewhat get on my nerves.

I just want my standard starter line with no strings attached and no hidden tripwires. Choosing a version and starter shouldn't be such a minefield. Is that just a boring request in this day and age? :/

I just want my standard starter line with no strings attached and no hidden tripwires. Choosing a version and starter shouldn't be such a minefield. Is that just a boring request in this day and age?

But it is literally just one extra forme... it isn't like your being forced to choose between several of Eevee's evolutions. I'd argue that choosing a starter playing these games in the past were far more of a minefield with no leaks/internet exposure to fall back on. (Well, anime, but still...) Nowadays, you can get the stats, method, and lore far before ever choosing your starter. If you go into the games blind, then that is just an added surprise.

Only thing I'm against is the version exclusiveness. Wish it were a normal day/night cycle to at least give players more choices to what they want, but I'll take variety over nothing. I'd rather the shared secret be this over those silly sounding Z-moves... (Eevee's is pretty cool though)

Seeing as Brionne ditches everything that make people think Popplio was a clown and that Torracat seems destined for bipedal-ness due to its front paws being pretty big and able to punch with them, I honestly doubt that split evos would even matter that much if they happen tbh.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom