• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you feel if we got yet another R/B/Y remake?

I no longer own Leafgreen so I have no game where I start out in Kanto. Never played the originals. Probably get it if it happens. It doesn't matter if it is on the GBA like Hoenn, it doesn't mean it is getting remade again or remade before Sinnoh remakes.

I don't see any reason to do so now since after the originals being released on 3ds. If they ever planned to do it, they would have released them instead of re-releasing the originals. After the release of pokemon go, I'm more sure about it.

I don't see any reason to do so now since after the originals being released on 3ds. If they ever planned to do it, they would have released them instead of re-releasing the originals. After the release of pokemon go, I'm more sure about it.

If anything them having re-released the originals gives them more reason to create a sequel. Because now there's a readily available copy of the originals that can serve as the background for a continuation of the plot so new players don't get confused by plot elements that require you to know the original plot. They could even bundle a copy of the originals with the sequels.

It would reaffirm my opinion of Gamefreak being one of the laziest video game companies out there, as I believe they are too quick to remake games in an age where fans are more than happy to replay older games that are made to emulate on recent consoles/hardware.

Another generation 1 remake would be an interesting idea, but there's the question of length. I'm pretty sure the gen 1 games aren't as long and content heavy as the later games, so I'd prefer if they had something like the relatively lore heavy Delta Episode, possibly one of the best parts of ORAS.

However, White Crow brought up a good point, constantly remaking the same game over and over would make the game start to become dull quickly. I'm sure that FRLG will be enough for anyone who wants a new remake.
But I wanna see a 3D Kanto; I want to see what a 3D Fully-rendered Red Looks like; Whether He Looks like A 3D Fully-rendered Version of his GEN 3 Incarnation, OR A 3D Fully-rendered version of his GEN 1 Incarnation; and What would LEAF look like in 3D Red and 3D Blue?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I doubt a remake/sequel would fix Kanto to be honest. The story and Team Rocket are boring. It may be 20 years but Kanto shouldn't be brought back especially as it already came back on virtual console.

I doubt a remake/sequel would fix Kanto to be honest. The story and Team Rocket are boring. It may be 20 years but Kanto shouldn't be brought back especially as it already came back on virtual console.

Do you really think they'll keep Kanto's storyline boring in a time when they've put a lot of emphasis on the storyline (see: 5th gen, ORAS)? With Game Freak's current trends in how they approach their games, it's a virtual certainty that we'll see the following improvements to Kanto:

-a more detailed and fleshed out storyline with extra characters, and possibly a post game story arc
-new Pokemon forms added
-cross gen evolutions added to the Kanto Dex
-some type of new gimmick or side feature

This is what they do for pretty much every game now, why wouldn't they for Kanto?

This is what they do for pretty much every game now, why wouldn't they for Kanto?
Because they already did it for Kanto. FireRed/LeafGreen may not be as elaborate as remakes would become with Oras, but in one way or another, everything you have on that list was added - some a bit later than other remakes would. That's why I think we'd need to revisit Kanto with a time skip if they do return, rather than the third remake. I mean, either way, it solidifies peoples' opinion of Generation I bias within Game Freak as of late, but I think it'd be far more interesting to see the legacy of the older characters rather than the third retelling of their story.

Do you really think they'll keep Kanto's storyline boring in a time when they've put a lot of emphasis on the storyline (see: 5th gen, ORAS)? With Game Freak's current trends in how they approach their games, it's a virtual certainty that we'll see the following improvements to Kanto:

-a more detailed and fleshed out storyline with extra characters, and possibly a post game story arc
-new Pokemon forms added
-cross gen evolutions added to the Kanto Dex
-some type of new gimmick or side feature

I don't see a lot of that happening. Nothing can really fix Kanto. Team Rocket was a joke due to not having any plot around legendaries and that happen in Johto too. I doubt they take the ORAS route with Kanto remakes.

I don't even see the point why we should get another Kanto remake. FRLG seems enough for me.

FRLG are also as old as RS, which got remakes. Just saying. We got ORAS as RS remakes, they were on the GBA. FRLG were on the GBA. Regardless of them being remakes themselves, they're really dang old. I hate to say it, but it's time for Kanto to be brought back into the modern day, especially with Pokemon Go raising popularity and presence again (though this is not the only reason). Kanto (while not the only region fitting this description) is currently not accessible to current players on the current platform. Kanto, barring the HGSS post-game, is currently the oldest untouched region now that Hoenn got a remake.

I will admit, I would prefer some kind of sequel, prequel, or just... HUGE revamp. Like, not a mirror remake, no no no, I mean turning Kanto into a region and game that is impressive and added onto and enlarged and overhauled to today's standards, rather than being a mirror/shadow of the past. But regardless, it is time again, looking at overall numbers and what would be the most successful.

EDIT: Yes, I know we got the Virtual Console releases. And that is the biggest argument against a Kanto remake. I agree. It might not happen for that sole reason. And don't get me wrong, I don't have any desire for another Kanto revisit, I'm just trying to state the facts, especially of business. However, it is possible that the VC releases were buttering us up to a new Kanto sequel, prequel, overhaul, etc. We will see.

Because they already did it for Kanto. FireRed/LeafGreen may not be as elaborate as remakes would become with Oras, but in one way or another, everything you have on that list was added - some a bit later than other remakes would. That's why I think we'd need to revisit Kanto with a time skip if they do return, rather than the third remake. I mean, either way, it solidifies peoples' opinion of Generation I bias within Game Freak as of late, but I think it'd be far more interesting to see the legacy of the older characters rather than the third retelling of their story.

I'm not saying it should be a remake, I'm firmly within the sequel camp here. A lot of what they have to do to fix Kanto requires significant deviation from the original experience, so a sequel would be the best approach. Also no, none of these things really have been done with Kanto, especially not the solo RBYFRLG experience. The storyline has always been bare and simplistic, with Team Rocket being generic bad guys with no coherent motives other than just generic "do evil stuff". The Pokemon selection has always been limited to the same old 151 Pokemon in the main storyline, no cross gen evos, no new forms, nothing that didn't already exist in the originals. The map design was never really fixed that much, you have a lot of generic grassy/rocky environments that are mainly flat and some of them take all of 5 seconds to explore (I mean really, what are you doing on Rt. 7 besides catching Pokemon? It's practically a waste of a route). The only thing they ever did for Kanto (outside of HGSS which didn't really do much for it either) is add in a post game quest. They've never done the things that BW2 or ORAS did to enhance their respective regions, which is what I want to see.

I don't see a lot of that happening. Nothing can really fix Kanto. Team Rocket was a joke due to not having any plot around legendaries and that happen in Johto too. I doubt they take the ORAS route with Kanto remakes.

You're giving up too easily here, there's a lot that can fix Kanto if Game Freak is willing to do so. The plot doesn't necessarily need to revolve around legendaries to be good, we just need Team Rocket to be threatening with detailed motivations and we need interesting characters that actually play a role in the storyline instead of just sitting around or being glorified punching bags. They could also have a post game story arc detailing the creation of Mewtwo and could possibly involve Mew in that storyline and actually distribute it (since Deoxys in ORAS opened the door for event legendaries to be catchable in game). The Dex variety can be fixed in a couple of ways, adding in cross gen evos and Megas will help a lot, beyond that they could possibly include new regional variants of other Pokemon to help fill in the gaps. They can always add in some gameplay features like a regional gadget, a battle facility, etc. And they could add more areas to improve environmental variety and overall just make the game feel more fresh, as well as redesign some of the areas to make them feel less generic. That would go a long way towards making Kanto feel more modern.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love a R/B/Y remake. Yes, it would mostly be out of nostalgia. But also in hopes of seeing an expansion in the story.

That it would be set after a timeskip. Gym Leaders may be different. Characters older. New areas unveiled.

I think it would be really cool if the Kanto games were remade again (re-remade?), and I do think it's entirely possible. Take a look at Super Mario Bros. It's been ported to the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, and remade for the GBC, SNES, and Wii? (I don't know, the All-Stars pack was released on the SNES, which was then ported to the Wii... So it was a port of a remake?... My brain hurts.) My point is, Pokémon is only slightly less popular than Super Mario. So remaking a game multiple times isn't entirely out of the question in my eyes. Just imagine a 3D Kanto.

I think it would be really cool if the Kanto games were remade again (re-remade?), and I do think it's entirely possible. Take a look at Super Mario Bros. It's been ported to the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, and remade for the GBC, SNES, and Wii? (I don't know, the All-Stars pack was released on the SNES, which was then ported to the Wii... So it was a port of a remake?... My brain hurts.) My point is, Pokémon is only slightly less popular than Super Mario. So remaking a game multiple times isn't entirely out of the question in my eyes. Just imagine a 3D Kanto.

Super Mario Bros. was only ever remade once for the SNES in All-Stars. No other releases have been remakes. The GBC version had lots of additions outside of the main-game, but the main-game was still SMB from the NES (with an added overworld map, but that's it).

I don't know of any game that has actually been remade more than once (remasters don't count). I'm not into many series outside of Nintendo's, though, so it's possible it has happened there.

I would love to see what they could do with Kanto in this new alternate timeline with Megas and 721 Pokémon. It could be fun.

Maybe...

I'll keep it simple :

Sevii Islands or bust.

Unfortunately for me, I recently played through LeafGreen again and found that the Sevii Islands no longer enchant me as they once did, so a remake or sequel would have to do a whole lot more to sell me on the idea.

You're giving up too easily here, there's a lot that can fix Kanto if Game Freak is willing to do so. The plot doesn't necessarily need to revolve around legendaries to be good, we just need Team Rocket to be threatening with detailed motivations and we need interesting characters that actually play a role in the storyline instead of just sitting around or being glorified punching bags. They could also have a post game story arc detailing the creation of Mewtwo and could possibly involve Mew in that storyline and actually distribute it (since Deoxys in ORAS opened the door for event legendaries to be catchable in game). The Dex variety can be fixed in a couple of ways, adding in cross gen evos and Megas will help a lot, beyond that they could possibly include new regional variants of other Pokemon to help fill in the gaps. They can always add in some gameplay features like a regional gadget, a battle facility, etc. And they could add more areas to improve environmental variety and overall just make the game feel more fresh, as well as redesign some of the areas to make them feel less generic. That would go a long way towards making Kanto feel more modern.
Actually the plot should revolve around a legendary otherwise the whole story is boring in my opinion. Kanto games are less enjoyable than the rest so remakes/sequels won't fix it and therefore they should never bring the region back. Even Johto's story was boring since it is just team rocket trying to find their old boss. That is twice that they didn't aim for a legendary which says to me that they are the worst evil team to be made. We don't need Kanto again and Sinnoh is far superior to it in every way. Sinnoh remakes over Kanto is a must.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom