• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you fix Unown (No this isn't a joke thread)

If it's to deny the possibility of Poké-deities, what about the Tapu whom the Pokédex call deities?

They're certainly revered as deities, but so are things like Volcarona and Bronzong.

I would leave it alone.

It makes for a collector's Pokemon that you don't need more than one of, and really don't have a reason to bother with unless you want to collect everything.

Not every Pokemon has to be useful or remotely resembling good.

It makes for a collector's Pokemon that you don't need more than one of, and really don't have a reason to bother with unless you want to collect everything.

Counterpoint: Vivillion (multiple different patterns, and yet is better than most Bug-type Pokemon, and can neuter one of its prime weaknesses) and Minior (7 colors, 8 including the Shiny, and while risky, is still popular) and both had more move moves to use than Unown.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I designed my own Mega forms for Unown. That I think any symbol of Unown should be able to Mega Evolve into. Although Mega forms are currently passe, I still think this is an interesting idea. (Keep in mind that I'm not super competitive or good at gamemaking, so there might be some mistakes and holes in this)

There are two Mega forms of Unown: Mega Unown Alpha and Mega Unown Omega. Alpha is a special attacker with high special defense, Omega is the physical counterpart. They both remain Psychic-types. Unown is given an ability that allows it to have four slots filled with Hidden Power and also boosts the power of Hidden Power. Omega has its own physical variant of Hidden Power called Hidden Might. The types of these Hidden Powers would be determined by different IVs or some other method I haven't thought of yet.

It's not really fleshed out, but I really thought it would've been a cool concept to have introduced in OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire. Sadly, it was not to be.

Image of Mega Unowns here:
mega_unown__omega_and_alpha__by_arylett_charnoa-d89zzxi.png

What if all the Unown Forms are keys into unlocking the greatest Unown Form of them all? You have to collect all the "keys" to open a secret ruin door, solve a few puzzles along the way and discover a secret form forgotten for centuries.
Isn't there anything i can say without being redundant. But I really like this idea and can see it be applied and working in the game lore. Unown design is really interesting, so i'd like it to have an use on battles, at least on game. I just wouldn't like it to be fused into one, but instead, each letter gain a secret and more powerful form. Not sure how this could be implemented as there's 20+ unowns shapes.

Last edited:
Isn't there anything i can say without being reduntant. But I really like this idea and can see it be applied and working in the game lore. Unown design is really instesting, so i'd like it to have an use on battles, at least on game. I just woudn't like it to be fused into one, but instead, each letter gain a secret and more powerful form. Not sure how this could be implemented as there's 20+ unowns shapes.

Have the Unown forms be based off of Greek counterparts, or lowercase letters (in cases where the Greek symbol is the same as the Latin letters, such as Alpha for A, beta for B, Chi for X, etc)

I remember one pet mod on Pokémon Showdown where Unown had its own exclusive held item a la Farfetch'd's Stick, which would double both Special stats and Speed while also changing Unown's type to match it's Hidden Power type. I enjoyed using Unown unironically back then.

Give it better moves other than Hidden Power and give it better stats that are at least above 100. Otherwise, it'll be worthless for the rest of its existence.

Just give it more moves and I guess a few stats buffs (not that that would do much) but it needs more than just the most common move in all of Pokemon...

-Add some moves to its pool (Psychic, Cosmic Power, Ancient Power, etc.)
-buff Sp. A to like 90-100, Sp. D to like 80-90, HP to 70-100, etc. stat buffs!
-give it a good hidden ability

01 - Curious Power (Hidden Power, but physical, types are calculated in such a way that all Pokemon will have a different HP & CP type.)

Still disappointed something like this doesn't exist yet!!!

I'd give it an obnoxious OP Hidden Ability that enhances its stats & Hidden Power's BP in tandem with how many Unown you have in your party - but only on the condition that they spell out a word that is allowed by Nintendo (no swearing, vulgarity or anything of offense).

LET THE ALPHABETICAL CHAOS ENSUE

Well personally if possible, I would give it moves other than Hidden power, like maybe some actual Psychic STAB or something along the lines. Of course, not every mon has to be perfect, so...

I say give it the Rayquaza or Greninja treatment, the ability to Mega Evolve (yes, Ash-Greninja is basically a Mega, due to a +100 increase in it's BST) without the use of a Mega Stone, I'd prefer to go the Rayquaza route, give it a new signature move, it can Mega if it knows this move, and then give it some OP ability as well as some favorably placed stats totaling up to +100 like all Megas.

An OP signature move
plus an OP Mega Evolution
plus an OP Mega ability
plus an open item slot

MIGHT just make Unown good. MIGHT...

Do they need fixing?

They're a gimmick Pokemon with a lot of mystery behind them; a relic from a Pokemon Past where GF weren't afraid to give us creepy dungeons and spooky 'mons that didn't necessarily have a massive game-changing plot tied into them. They just *were*, and that was enough. Johto's Ruins of Alph are one of the most iconic places in all of the games; eerily quiet and solemn, filling your childhood self with a sense of awe and curiosity as you first wander in. Catching the various Unown with their (then unique) weird 'hidden power' attack, trying to complete the ancient puzzle that would drop you further into the depths of the ruins, tuning in your radio and hearing that weird communication; it was so much fun. Their mystery only deepened when the Unown were included in the 3rd movie; their power can spirit away grown adults and conjure forth legendary Pokemon from a story book, and yet what do we actually learn about the Unown...? They're an enigma - they're literally unknown. Regarding battle, we surely have a large enough roster of overpowered, forme-changing legendaries to choose from. The Unown were pretty clearly never meant to join these ranks or stand up to Smogon scrutiny; they're barely 'Pokemon' in the traditional sense of the word, but they are a fun little puzzle that may never be solved, and that's ok with me because they just exist peacefully in the background, making the lore of the Pokemon world richer.

I think to talk of 'buffing them up' or 'making them viable' is to kind of miss the point of them.

give it Schooling or simply make it have Disquise , and get a dark , fairy or ghost type.

Last edited:
I'd have each letter have slightly different stat spreads and maybe specific Hidden Power types.
A better Ability, slightly more broad movepool and better stats alongside the above should be enough.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom