• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you handle Hisuian Pokemon in the anime

Turbo

I swear I don’t even know what’s going on anymore
Reaction score
So Hisuian Pokemon are unique in the sense that they are extinct
And so far they aren't treated like fossil Pokemon where they can be revived

We got a quick snippet in the Arceus special episodes with Hisuian Growlithe, Wyrdeer, Hisuian Braviary, and Basculegion but was just a visual thing from the picture
A2789A61-711D-4027-AF64-ECFBBFA793E3.jpeg

We know that at least Hisuian Zoroark and Zorua are transferable in Scarlet and a Violet so they haven't abandoned the idea /kept it just a Gen 8 PLA thing
64A312EC-2A31-4073-A7E6-AC246876C66B.jpeg

Maybe they'll show them in the next anime?

All that to say

How do you think they will handle Hisuian Pokemon in the anime?
CE5CC2FD-E815-4A04-A6A1-8E9D0F7AD111.jpeg

Time travel shenanigans?
Space-time distortions?
They were never extinct just super rare/in hiding/nature preserve?
They won't touch them at all?
relegate them to specials and shorts?
Other?

Can't they sort of treat them like fossil pokemon like Aerodactyl, Dracovish, etc? I mean they're basically the same thing right? Extinct pokemon,.

It is still so strange to me that they didn't feature more Hisuian forms in Journeys. I can see why they didn't have them travel back to Hiusi given everything else they already had in motion in the series. They could have easily covered some of Legends Arceus at least in another special or in a mini arc, but maybe they didn't want to take that much time away from the PWC or more potential returns of older characters. Regardless, it's a shame because the Hisuian forms are really cool and it would have been nice to see them in Journeys.

That being said, I don't think that they'd need time travel to see these forms. There are quite a few episodes that show fossil Pokemon still living in the wild or that a new group of scientists are reviving fossil Pokemon. It's gotten to the point where the anime doesn't tend to make a big deal about seeing seemingly extinct Pokemon living in the modern world like it used to. They could easily do something similar with the Hisuian forms. They could explain it by having them still live in more secluded areas or places that have the same resources that were in Hisui. Some of the Hisuian forms are also just exclusive evolutions for older Pokemon like Wyrdeer or the Hisuian starters, so I don't think it would be that hard to find some item or area that triggers these special evolutions. The Hisuian forms like for Growlthie and Zorua would be more like fossil Pokemon in that they could be just hiding away from the rest of the world. Using time-space distortion would fit with Legends Arceus, but I still think that the explanation could be a bit easier than that.

I think there was a bizarre disconnect with the anime on this one. Maybe they didn't expect Arceus to sell so well.

I'd guess time distortions or quiet pockets of Sinnoh

I would make the Heatran special the BDSP promotion replacing the Dialga/Palkia two parter, and for Legends I'll make something new: An adaptation of the Volo plot from the game told across 8 episodes, and it doesn't involve time travel but Goh, Dawn and Ash's ancestors, who own the Hisuian Pokemon and showcase them appropiately. These would be their teams, the other Pokemon would appear in the background or would be owned by minor characters:

Ash: Pikachu, H-Decidueye, H-Goodra.
Goh: H-Samurott, H-Voltorb, Kleavor.
Dawn: Piplup, H-Typhlosion, Ursaluna, Lilligant.
Volo: Garchomp, H-Arcanine, Wyrdeer, H-Braviary.

If that's too drastic of a change then I'd split them into 3 teams, their reason of existance is that they are unusual Pokemon that appear only under extreme circumstances:
  • Owned by Cynthia, Paul and other battlers: Ursaluna, H-Arcanine, H-Lilligant, Kleavor, Sneasler, H-Goodra, H-Braviary.
  • Get their own dedicated episodes (along their preevos): H-Zoroark, Basculegion, Enamorus, H-Electrode, Overqwil.
  • Appear in cameos: H-Decidueye, Wyrdeer, H-Samurott, H-Typhlosion, H-Avalugg, preevos of Group 1.

This anime retcons lore all the time, so in later seasons, we'd be seeing Hisui Pokémon with everyone acting like the Pokémon had always existed in the modern era. For example, we'd probably see Ash encounter some random CotD with both variants of Sneasel, with the two evolving in the same episode; Sneasler is treated no different than Weavile, suggesting that the species is well-known and common.

If I were in charge, I'd start with Paul's return, making it a two-parter with his battle with Ash being the first part. Paul reveals to Ash and Goh about the "secret evolutions" for Scyther, Stantler, and Ursaring, which Professor Rowan is researching on, then reveals that he's heading for Mount Moon because he heard that the Clefairy have found a Peat Block during the last full moon, which is unusually rare in Kanto; Team Rocket overhears this. Ash and Goh tag along with Paul to Mount Moon, where it is revealed that night is a full moon; Paul sends out his Ursaring, and spots the Peat Block among several Moon Stones. Ursaring eats the block and evolves, but then Team Rocket sweep in and capture Ursaluna and the Clefairy/Clefable, but are defeated thanks to Ursaluna's newfound strength and learning Headlong Rush, with Pikachu then blasting them off.

Before returning to Sinnoh, Paul gets a look at Goh's Dex, and reveals Stantler can also evolve. Goh asks for more details, but Paul brushes him off. Goh decides to find out what triggers Stantler's evolution, and we can assume he later captures at least one Hisuian form that's currently available in Pokémon GO (which as of September 7 includes Voltorb, Electrode, Growlithe, Arcanine, Sneasel, Qwilifish, and Braviary).

Last edited:
I believe the most convenient plot device to showcase more Hisuian Pokémon would definitely involve some time travel, similar to A Timeless Encounter!, but very many years prior. Maybe the gang stays in Hisui for, like, three four episodes, and that would showcase a decent number of Hisuian Pokémon.

It could be a unique secret safari hidden in the region.. I assume Cynthia will know it if there is one..

If not so there are only 2 options: time travel or a different dimension (like where we saw the soft Ash after visiting that cave)

Anyway I wish Goh wont be there to catch one.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom