• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you improve/nerf this Pokemon?

Reaction score
Inspired by a video by my favourite Youtuber.

Basically one person gives us a Pokemon they consider underpowered or overpowered and other tries to come up with a way of improving/nerfing it. Or just states that in their opinion that Pokemon doesn't need balancing (though try not to overuse this option).

So I'll start with the question form this video - how would you improve (or nerf) Slaking?

EDIT: Dang, it should've been in Fun and Games. How did it end up in General Discussion? Can someone move it?

Last edited:
With Reckless/Rock Head as its two main abilities, it's obviously made for using recoil moves. It's a bit of a waste that it only knows Double Edge and Head Smash (and Take Down, but it's basically an inferior Double Edge) - I'd also give it something else for coverage (Submission or Wood Hammer, maybe?).
Coverage itself is also a big problem it has - it's moveset is made almost entirely of normal and some water-type attacks. It's especially bad due to how relatively close its attack and sp. attack are - it could theoretically run special moveset almost as good as physical - but it doesn't really have much special moves to speak of. Giving it better coverage with more than just two ice type special attacks for defense against grass and only Mud Shot for electric would be good. Maybe Ice Fang? Basculin being partially based on piranha, it would fit it well (though Ice Fang is generally associated with Fire Fang and Thunder Fang and those three moves are normally seen as almost inseparable, and both Fire and Thunder Fang don't really look good in moveset of a fish 'Mon). Or maybe Icicle Spear, or Ice Shard?
And finally - stats. They're mostly not bad, typical physical glass cannon (good speed, very good attack, but terrible HP and defenses), though with good special attack too - but one thing that hurts it is HP. As already said - with its abilities, Basculin is clearly made for recoil attacks - and while Rock Head Basculin can really use it well, with just 70 base HP Reckless Basculin... well... can't. Giving it a nice boost to health would drastically increase its lifespan on battlefield.
Woah, for Pokemon that I never used and took all info about it from Bulbapedia just now, it turned out really long...

Okay, how about Weezing?

Get rid of Destiny Bond. They kept spamming that in ORAS.

Charizard.

Nerf Stealth Rock to start with.

Give it a better Physical Flying STAB move than the two-turn Fly and the event Acrobatics (That is at its best without an item) and +10 in Physical Attack to take advantage of the better part of its movepool without needing boosting moves like Dragon Dance, Sword Dance or Belly Drum.

Luxray.

I don't like luxray, but I suppose if I had to buff it, I'd give it a better physical electric attack and relocate some of its sp. attack points to either speed or hp.

swalot

I don't really think Swalot needs any buff or nerf, but if I really had to change something, I think I'd boost its both attack stats a bit.

Regigigas?

Change Anticipation to Adaptability, to make better use of its "dirty tactics to survive" mentality the line tries to invoke. Also, maybe give it more Special Attack, as it has a lot of special-based moves at its disposal, so it becomes a more mixed hitter, furthering the pragmatic nature of it.

Weavile

Give it a better Hidden Ability. The current one is just a letdown.
Milotic

Give it Calm Mind. This way it could act as a better bulky offensive Pokémon or potentially go the Crocune route with RestTalk and Marvel Scale. Whichever way, I feel this one move is something Milotic could get plenty of use out of.

Electivire?

Give it an actual Ability. I think something like Intimidate or Competitive could be pretty interesting, and wouldn't be too out of line with the species.

Yanmega.

Maybe give it better special bulk, but otherwise I have no idea.
Mienshao

Nerf, make it Mega Evolve by holding a Mega Stone, not by knowing a move.
Dewgong

Oh Dewgong... It could use a lot of love.

Either give it a brand new evolution or a Mega Evolution. It's just so unfortunately underwhelming compared to the likes of Cloyster and Lapras. I suppose a straight up stat boost would be good, but some kind of evolution would provide even more room for improvement. It's hard to say what it needs buffed in stat wise because it currently doesn't have a particular leaning. It's well rounded and relatively weak. Perhaps buff its offenses (not sure which would be best) and speed the most?

Cradily

I'd improve it by making Flower Gift raise Special Attack instead of Attack. Its Attack stat is worthless and uses Special based moves much better.

Typhlosion

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom