• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

HELP: How would you include superpowers in Pokemon World?

Kawaii desu ne
Reaction score
Hey there, this is my first time posting in this section! Actually, I am planning to write a Pokemon fanfiction, where a few humans are affected by an experiment, that was originally meant to increase the strength of Pokemon, and because of this experiment they end up getting different superpowers. Basically, it is supposed to be a 'What if there were superheroes in Pokemon World?' kind of fanfic.

But the problem is that, their world already contains a bunch of extremely strong super-powered creatures a.k.a. the Pokemon. So, I had started doubting whether the concept of Superheroes would feel redundant in the Pokemon World, since it already has the Pokemon with their special powers. Also, I don't want to write the story in a way that would take the focus away from the Pokemon.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep the Pokemon relevant and important and still make it a superhero story? :)

Assassin Ninja Frog
Reaction score
You could have the superhero use whatever Pokemon would suit him/her.

Example: Person gets super strength would naturally use Pokemon that have high attack power (fighting types are an example)
Example 2: If someone gets spider powers, have them have rely on the Spinarak and or Joltik lines. Like, they can only do certain things with the web powers.

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
Pokémon need instruction from competent trainers to fight effectively. A superpowered human has the significant advantage of not needing to communicate with a partner or telegraph their moves to their opponent. They may also be outright stronger than pokémon, I suppose.

The Vulture Queen
Reaction score
However you want to. Lizards breathe fire and no one bats an eye. At least psychics and aura users are confirmed to exist in the game-verse, with channelers and witches... debatable. Add on Rui from Colosseum and whatever N has going on and there's a healthy basis that some humans can just do abnormal things and it's pretty accepted.

Not Dead
Reaction score
I personally take issues with superheroes in general, but you could have your characters learn from Pokemon rather than train them. They would be part of a team rather than just shouting commands.

Assassin Ninja Frog
Reaction score
I personally take issues with superheroes in general, but you could have your characters learn from Pokemon rather than train them. They would be part of a team rather than just shouting commands.
My thoughts exactly.

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
Some thoughts about keeping pokémon relevant:

You could take cues from the anime, which has a couple vigilantes with pokémon partners.

Any powered human must have vulnerabilities. Pokémon could exploit these.

Pokémon could also be part of superheroes' motivation.

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
This: Pokemon ReBUSRT

If you do not know this (probably not... because this is something very infamous across Pokemon manga fandom), this is a shounen battle manga featuring human characters utilizing superpower of Pokemons, by transforming into some kind of Pokemorph-equivalents using an item that seals a pokemon inside.

May be this is a very good official(?) work for reference.

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
If you're using the animé for reference, it's canon that superpowers exist.

Sabrina and her father have psychic abilities
Riley is capable of using aura.

They could be paired up with pokémon who complement their abilities like how Riley has a Lucario.

It could also be interesting to see a superhero like Iron Man who has no superpowers but uses technology to gain them.

I'd also like to see how regular trainers react to these superpowered individuals and the like.

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
Good point about technology-enabled heroes there — the pokémon world canonically has remarkable technological development. The intersection of the magical wild and high tech is a cornerstone of the franchise.

Have you given any thought to villains?

Kawaii desu ne
Reaction score
About the villains, I had decided that the person who sends humans in place of Pokemon for the experiment is the main villain. And he manages to put most of those super-powered humans under a mind-control because of which they listen to him and cause destruction.

His plan is to use the super-powered humans to capture all the legendary Pokemon.

But a few of the super-powered humans manage to escape the mind-control, and then they start the mission of stopping everyone else who is causing destruction.

And that is going to be only half side of the story. There is another half side to it. Where there is a group of vigilantes with their Pokemon partners, who think that all the super-powered beings are evil. And they are trying to stop all of them.

I hope it all didn't sound too confusing.

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
And that is going to be only half side of the story. There is another half side to it. Where there is a group of vigilantes with their Pokemon partners, who think that all the super-powered beings are evil. And they are trying to stop all of them.
The pokemon would count as superpowered beings so would these vigilantes only be going after the superpowered people? Or would they be going after all superpowered beings (while being complete hypocrites)?

If you're going for the second aspect, the technology empowered individuals might make sense for the villains.

Kawaii desu ne
Reaction score
The pokemon would count as superpowered beings so would these vigilantes only be going after the superpowered people? Or would they be going after all superpowered beings (while being complete hypocrites)?

If you're going for the second aspect, the technology empowered individuals might make sense for the villains.
No, they are only after super-powered people. Because they don't know that they are under mind-control and that's why they are causing destruction. They don't have any problem with Pokemon. I was thinking of having them use Pokemon and advanced technology for fighting against the super-powered humans, as they don't have any powers of their own.

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
No, they are only after super-powered people. Because they don't know that they are under mind-control and that's why they are causing destruction. They don't have any problem with Pokemon. I was thinking of having them use Pokemon and advanced technology for fighting against the super-powered humans, as they don't have any powers of their own.
Sounds like a good idea.

It might be interesting to flesh out further motives of the high-tech villain faction. Perhaps they feel that the superhumans shouldn't be the only ones capable of training a certain type simply for being born with powers. Or maybe they feel the the superhumans are inherently unequal and they want to rectify that in the least malicious way possible -- bringing everyone up to the level of the superhumans.

Also, maybe tech could be used by both factions?

Far too mouthy for my own good.
Reaction score
One way I do it is to take a clue from Pokemon games and just label the powers Trainer Abilities or O-Powers. This gives the advantage that, if you ever get to a case of powers being established and generational, you can have the more common powers as being literally taught in schools while still preserving some powers as being self-created.

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
One way I do it is to take a clue from Pokemon games and just label the powers Trainer Abilities or O-Powers. This gives the advantage that, if you ever get to a case of powers being established and generational, you can have the more common powers as being literally taught in schools while still preserving some powers as being self-created.
Am I the only one getting the My Hero Academy vibe from this comment?

Kawaii desu ne
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea.

It might be interesting to flesh out further motives of the high-tech villain faction. Perhaps they feel that the superhumans shouldn't be the only ones capable of training a certain type simply for being born with powers. Or maybe they feel the the superhumans are inherently unequal and they want to rectify that in the least malicious way possible -- bringing everyone up to the level of the superhumans.

Also, maybe tech could be used by both factions?
That sounds like a good idea! :)