• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you view the sun and moon series in terms of quality

danh19

Reaction score
I personally am surprised in that I put of watching it for a long time, I thought the setting for the series was poor and that their was to many key characters.

But having just watched the majority of the series, it is actually pretty good most of the characters are likable and reasonably rounded the story arcs are quite good and well exacuted, the individual episodes are also mainly good

Pretty good quality and I hope they bring things like the comedic tone, animation, down to earth aspects of character growth, making the "fillers" relevant and a few other things on the back of my head, over to Sword and Shield.

Maybe in the form of British humor if you ever heard of Monty Python and know just what can be done with a UK like region, the laid back tone becomes something sporty/ exploration themed to go well with a traveling theme since that is coming back.

Maybe do something with the main cast just by... maybe having Ash and Pikachu travel alone for a while and making the major towns/ cities into a hub for the season/ arc. This is a step in evolution that I hope they take.

In the first year it was a bit of a mixed bag as some eps were rather dull and the new humor took a while to get used to. But I do think the saga improved in its second year and the main cast got fleshed out better. Battles this saga are pretty poor and the handling of the main cast has been a mixed bag, but if you don't care about stuff like that the saga has some good and standout eps.

Overall though it was an interesting experiment for the show, it's not my ideal saga, but it's also not the trainwreck I thought it would be back in 2016 when it started. It's decently entertaining at times and I can understand why people would really like it, but overall "mixed bag" comes to my mind the most this saga. Most of the important arcs and stuff have been handled lackluster but the slice of life is good.

An utter waste of the region of Alola, with no clear plot, rushing through the game's events so they can return to the safety of the Status Quo, and pretending things like Lusamine getting kidnapped or the region of Alola plunged into darkness never happened

Mallow also bounced back from reliving the death of her mother very quickly

Series has its high points, but they are peaks among some of the deepest valleys the franchise has ever seen

But having just watched the majority of the series, it is actually pretty good most of the characters are likable and reasonably rounded the story arcs are quite good and well exacuted, the individual episodes are also mainly good

You and I must be watching totally different series.

Sun and Moon has been the most fun I've had with a series in a very long time. It's actually the first series since AG that I'm going to be disappointed to see end. I was very much done with DP, BW, and XY by the time they reached their ends and just wanted them to hurry up so we could get to the next series. I've gotten very attached to the SM characters and I'm really gonna miss them!

SM's tone is right up my alley: it's funny and lighthearted most of the time, but the writers have also been able to mix in some more serious tones or episodes without going too heavy handed on them. I like a bit of adversity thrown it, but I really hate when it goes overboard to the point of edginess. To me, SM struck a very nice balance. There have been episodes that had me legitimately crying from laughter, and others where I've cried because they were that emotional.

I also think the elimination of COTDs in SM REALLY helped out. As far as the anime goes, in my opinion, nothing has become worse than the standard, boring, unremarkable COTDs. Even minor characters in SM have been seen more than once, and it really helps to create a nice familiarity with the whole cast. I'm aware that this is likely because of the more static location, and is likely to go back to normal in the next series, and that is something I'm really dreading.

Sure, SM isn't perfect, but let's be honest here: no Pokémon series ever is. The writers have dropped the ball in a number of areas (character development sometimes took a bit too long, Ultra Guardian episodes are usually pretty boring or cringey, trials were handled absolutely terribly) but honestly, I've had so much fun watching SM; it outweighs the negatives for me.

SM has the same COTD filler eps as past series, the only difference is those COTD's tend to come back now since the gang stays in mostly one place, but it still doesn't make the eps any different. If you look at the filler plots of SM, with the exception of a few unique eps here and there, they're pretty much the exact same plots you'd find in any past saga. I don't know if it's the change of art style or tone, but I think it's also that Team Rocket don't show up as often to steal Pikachu or the pokemon of the day helps.

An utter waste of the region of Alola, with no clear plot, rushing through the game's events so they can return to the safety of the Status Quo, and pretending things like Lusamine getting kidnapped or the region of Alola plunged into darkness never happened

Didn't they mention that they went through an Ultra Wormhole to rescue Lusamine when she was worried about them going off through another one during the Necrozma arc or was that just added in for the dub? Just because those events aren't mention regularly doesn't necessarily mean that they're pretending that they never happened.

I'll have more solid thoughts on SM once it wraps up, but I do like it. It definitely lacks clear focus, especially in regards to Ash's goal, staying in one location instead of exploring more of Alola was disappointing, I don't think that they've handled the events from the games particularly well and the Island Challenge is handled absolutely terribly, but in spite of those problems, SM is still enjoyable. I like Ash's upbeat personality and design, most of the classmates are likable and have a nice bit of group chemistry, there actually are some pretty good battles here and there, and there are some really good emotionally effective moments too. I can see why it has such mixed responses and I do tend to agree with some of the more common complaints of the series, but it is usually still pretty fun to watch the series every week. It's still relaxing and fun in spite of the issues I have with it. I don't think it's the worst series, but I'm not sure how high it will end up on my list of favorite Pokemon series by the time it wraps up.

I not saying it is anywhere near the best series of Pokemon, pulsaro, but it is far better than I was expecting before I brought myself around to watching it

I got a soft spot for the OS, but SM is a pretty good series that doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

Also, Pulsaro, please respect other peoples opinions. Just because you hate the series, doesn't mean the other person is obligated to hate it as well.

It really depends on what an individual is looking for in a show.

Last edited:
Also, Pulsaro, please respect other peoples opinions. Just because you hate the series, doesn't mean the other person is obligated to hate it as well.

... But I didn't imply he should hate it or anything like that, did I? I was just making a joke. A joke about how we see the same series differently. A stupid joke, yes, but still a joke nonetheless. It's not like I was going out of my way to insult him and his tastes. We're all human beings with different tastes and we're free to like/dislike whatever we want. Heck, I'm someone who enjoys Paper Mario: Sticker Star (a game loathed by the entire world), so who am I to judge someone's tastes?

I actually really like Sun and Moon. This show has been on for so long that I enjoy the change of pace. Given the setting I think the format suits the show very well. I also adore the animation. It's great to see more emphasis on hand drawn visuals with significantly less CG that what we've become accustomed to. The simplified character designs make it easier for the animators to play around with their expressions and make them more lively.

But what I really love about the show is that because the overall tone is so much lighter that before, it makes it all the more powerful when the show gets real. Mao's reunion with her mother is probably the closest this show has ever gotten to making me cry and who can forget the Stoutalnd episode? Kukui's proposal scene is also another favorite of mine. I don't think any of these moments would have been nearly as memorable if it wasn't juxtaposed by the silliness.

The most important thing is that they tried something completely different this time around and it looks as thought they genuinely had fun doing it. After being on the air for decades they deserve the right to experiment and I'd say it was a huge success.

Its okay. Its great in terms of animation quality and while they tried new things, not all of it worked. I was never a fan of the larger cast, the greater emphasis on comedy, the fact that they stick to one location often, or the way the Island Challenge was handled. It can be fun though stil. I just enjoy the series that had more of a focus on the action and adventure more than this one.

Last edited:
The low amount of significant battles and amount of battling pokemon is ... Very dissapointing. It became a soap opera...

If you told me in the first year I would have said the saga was kinda boring, but all the recent episodes have been really good that I've changed my opinion on the series. I think SM had an upswing somewhere around mid-2018 and since then it's been consistently entertaining with just a few dull eps. I think the eps in the first year were the most boring, I think it's because the writers were getting used to the new style.

I think the series is a complete dumpster fire. I appreciate the comedic approach, but there are so many negatives for me to list. I actually don't think I'll watch the anime seriously ever again. The series has plenty of great moments, but the writing and storyline are lazily developed and development of characters took way too long to take foot.

This is my opinion, I'm entitled to it, so please don't try to convince me otherwise.

It is good in some areas, but disappointing in others. The cast is enjoyable for the most part, and I don't have an issue with any of the human characters. Most of the humor is enjoyable and the emotional episodes have been great.

The biggest issue for me is the overly relaxed nature of the series. I get that Hawaii is generally thought of as a vacation spot, but Ash LITERALLY feels like he's on a vacation right now. It feels like nothing is being taken seriously; the Island Challenge in particular has felt more like an after school activity as opposed to the main goal of the series. Ash's captures feel like they just happened because he made a friend and not be cause he needed a team to take part in the Island Challenge. But the lack of traveling is easily the worst aspect. Ash is an adventurous person, and keeping him relegated to one area (the tutorial section of the games) for the entire series was the worst decision they could make and has taken away the potential this show could have had.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom