• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How'd you choose your first game?

You chose your first game because of that version's...

• Color

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • Mascot

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • Catchable Pokémon

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 82 53.2%

• Total voters
FR for no particular reason. Might have been for Charizard though now I think about it...

I choose based on availability. Red was the one most within reach, so I grabbed that and took it.

I originally was going for Emerald as my first Pokemon game, but STUPID ASS WAL-MART WAS SOLD OUT so I had to get Sapphire. T_T And I've heard that Emerald has a better storyline, so I'm still pretty pissed about that. 3:<

I was really, really young so I don't remember. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it was Pokémon Blue. So either it was a gift or it was because Blastoise was on the package.

i got crystal cause my sisters had gold and silver already
and i like the cover of crystal more

I was about eight and I saw the cover of Red version and Charizard looked cool because he looked like a dragon and I love dragons. :3

For Christmas one year I got a blue Gameboy Pocket and Pokemon Blue Version. Because they matched color. Pokemon was technically my first vidja game.

More kids in my class had Sapphire than Ruby, so I got Sapphire too.

I didn't.
I asked my parents for Pokèmon Yellow since it was the most recent release at the time and thus "teh best" or so I assumed...but they were sold out so I got Red Version instead... but I wasn't about to complain, I just got super-exited over the fact that they had given me a freaking Game Boy Color for my Birthday :banana: seeing as this was back in the day when I couldn't afford my own... (I had to save for weeks before buying by GBA, and it was only the standard edition, SP was out of my reach:dizzy:)
Later on I kind of regretted having it since more of my favorite Pokèmon where in Blue: Vulpix, Meowth and Butterfree (Butterfree is in Red but its quite rare, I just find Weedles all the time rather than Caterpies...) My cousin had Blue though and my brother Yellow, so I actually managed to complete the Pokèdex at one time (would have been 151 if I knew about the Mew-glitch back then.)

I got gold as the only video game my parents ever bought me. It was the christmas after it came out.

No reason. Red just happened to be the version I came across first. My cousin got Red version as a 1998 Christmas present, and I played it for a few minutes, got hooked, and begged my parents for months for a copy. They finally gave in five months later, and viola, Red version May 1999. Good times.

Last edited:
I remember saying I wanted Silver because of the color. I didn't care for Lugia back then.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom