• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How's my team?

BadAssKoala

Outback King
Reaction score
Umbreon@ Leftovers
Careful
Synchronize
252 HP,252 SpD, 4 Attk

Wish
Bite
Yawn
Protect

Due to the fact I can't use Foul Play/Heal Bell I came up with this. This is my Specially Defensive core and takes a lot of hits. Wish and protect help it keep health while yawn fazes out threats. I threw bite on just to have an attacking move so I'm not taunt bait.

Gliscor@ Toxic Orb
Impish
Poison Heal
244 HP, 248 Def, 16 Spe

Earthquake
Toxic
Ice Fang
Protect

It's not your SubToxic set but it's still pretty standard. Come in sponge damage stall and poison.

Breloom@ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
252 Attk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Low Sweep
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Spore

This is a great breloom set! It can put threats to sleep and proceed to wreck shop with it's LO bullet seeds and Low sweeps.

Magmortar@ Expert Belt
Modest
Vital Spirit
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD

Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Psychic

Magmortar is pretty great he has some great moves up his sleeves. Fire Blast for stab thunderbolt for coverage focus blast to cover rock weakness and psychic because I can't breed HP :p.

Staraptor@ Choice Band
Adamant
Reckless
252 Attk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Brave Bird
Close Combat
Double-Edge
U-Turn

This is one angry bird! It destroys enemies at the cost of its own life! Double Edge and Brave Bird for powerful stab and close combat and u turn for coverage.

Mamoswine@ Focus Sash
Adamant
Thick Fat
252 HP, 252 Attk, 4 SpD

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Icicle Crash

This is my rock setter he sets hazards does some damage and dies. He isn't a pushover with EQ and Icicle Crash he can do done damage.

So what do you guys think? Any changes I should make? Let me know down below.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Ice weakness. Magmortar isn't known for being a top tier threat so I'm bit sure if it's a good idea to have him (with an inaccurate STAB, no less) as your sole counter to Ice when 3 of your mons are weak to it. You've got some situational checks (Breloom's Mach Punch, Mamoswine for physically weak or Ground-weak) but I'd probably still replace Staraptor with Banded Talonflame as it fills essentially the same role, just with and Ice neutrality. The second thing is that Low Sweep is terribad on Breloom due to its buff to 65 BP. Rock Tomb or Force Palm would be better. And finally I'd recommend a Spinner or Defogger to support the Talonflame I rec'd as well as just being a good thing to have in general. Avalugg might be able to replace Mamo with RS, Recover, Avalanche, and either EQ or Mirror Coat with Lefties and Sturdy.

Thanks for the advice I've been using it a bit on showdown and Magmortar is going to go. He just isn't reliable enough to work very good. It also helps that i have a iv bred and EV trained Avalugg in my box! The only reason I thought about keeping Staraptor is it's Double-Edge does massive damage to a lot of things. But I will work on a Talonflame I have a fletchling ready to be bred in my box. I didn't know low sweep was buffed. I'm definently changing it to rock tomb.

My only concern is the lack of special attackers. Should I get a strong special attacker to combat heavily defensive mons?

While Avalugg is a definite good spinner he also adds to the list of physical attackers and he's another good defensive wall. Basically Gliscor's only use is Toxic. Maybe you can pass Toxic to Umbreon and free up Gliscor for a special attacker spot?

My only concern about getting rid of gliscor is the fighting weakness. If I were to get rid of Gliscor my defensive core would be highly vulnerable to fighting. I was thinking: Breloom/Talonflame/Avalugg/Gliscor/Umbreon/Alakazam or Gengar

Yeah your team is a bit phys-heavy so a powerful Sp Attacker might be helpful. Alakazam and Gengar are kind if frail, so they might die early and leave you walled by an opposing Gliscor or whatever. Maybe put Gengar on your team and then switch Gliscor for MGardevoir, giving you 2 good special sweepers as well as 2 good Fighting switch ins. MGardevoir is notable for not only quad-resisting Fighting moves, but also only being neutral to the Knock Off that many Fighters carry as well as not losing her item or giving them the boost.

Only one thing to ask. Do you like all your pokemon and feel you picked the best set for your playstyle? If so then its the best team possible for you. If you just tried to formulate a team you think is gonna beat everything and copy and pasted from smogon than no its awful. The best teams are organic. But technically the only problem I see is the inability to stop a stat booster. Maybe a hazer, a phazer, or a swords dance or something could help that. also Your umbreon seems like it will have trouble doing any real damage. Bite with no ev investment isnt gonna hit most things hard. Id probably replace it with toxic. But whatever you do just keep it real and do what you like not what any website tells you is best

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom