• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh How's the OST (Official Soundtrack) of Sword/Shield so far to you?

How would you rate the OST out of /10 so far?

• Total voters
Games like WoW, for example, have different versions of the same track to keep some variety. Pokémon should try that, I think.

It's probably not to the extent that you hope, but BW/B2W2 has slightly different route music depending on what season it is. I'd like to see Gen 5's dynamic music expanded upon and having different versions of the same track, as you said, would really help in making certain tracks not feel repetitive. Arceus knows how tired I am of the route music in SM/USUM. I also appreciate it when towns having different tracks for daytime and nighttime.

Now, to answer the thread's question. I find the soundtrack of SWSH to be forgettable overall and although I gave it a 5/10, my true feelings might be worse than that. The only tracks I consistently listen to are the Battle Tower and Bede's battle theme. The first half of the Gym Battle track is great but the cheering ruins the rest of it. I like the Slumbering Weald in concept but something bothers me about it. Maybe the instruments? Marnie's battle theme is probably good but not my cup of tea. Oleana's battle theme is decent too, but something bothers me there too. If I were to describe it, I'd say that the SWSH soundtrack feels like the "first rough draft" before getting the final, polished version.

Rose's theme and the Gym Battle music bangs.

I've been listening to soundtracks for older Pokémon games and it's kinda making me think that Sword & Shield's is a lot like X & Y's to me in the sense that most of it doesn't really do much for me if I listen to it in isolation. Much like Kalos, there's a couple of standout tracks that I can put on at any time and get into (unarmoured Zacian/Zama), but for the most part it feels like a more enhancing soundtrack to me as opposed to one that stands on its own. The songs come off really well in their proper contexts, when I'm sitting and playing the game. Leon's music helps make his battle the hypest Champion fight ever, but it would be one of my last choices for casual listening. Same for the wolves vs. Eternatus climax music. In-game, holy shit holy shit. But on its own it just doesn't feel the same.

I do wish there were more route themes, though. I like the Wild Area tunes; they really suit that part of the game, but it feels detracting when they're spammed on every route.

Average at best. About cities themes, Spikemuth got the best one IMO. Hulbury's one is good too. All the others are inexpressive to me. The Champion and Rival's themes aren't that good as well. Not my favourite gen in that regard.

I hope the expansion pass OST is better.

The trailer had some nice tracks, but they could've been specifically made for the trailer, though.

The Gym Leader and Battle Tower theme are an instant hit for me. For some reason though, Oleana's Theme is by far my favorite. I love the tempo. It has a really energetic beat with a sophisticated touch because of the violin. I've been using it on every Online battle. Honestly, it is a lot better than her boss' theme. It is criminally underrated.

Last edited:
The Gym Leader and Battle Tower theme are an instant hit for me. For some reason though, Oleana's Theme is by far my favorite. I love the tempo. It has a really energetic beat with a sophisticated touch because of the violin. I've been using it on every Online battle. Honestly, it is a lot better than her boss' theme. It is criminally underrated.

It’s definitely one of my favorites from this game, maybe even close to *being* my favorite. When challenging the Battle Tower, I alternated between the actual BT theme and Oleana’s theme constantly.

Lately I’ve also been really liking the first Eternatus battle theme. The section about a minute into it sounds like something you’d hear in a nightclub on Saturn lol

Last edited:
It’s definitely one of my favorites from this game, maybe even close to *being* my favorite. When challenging the Battle Tower, I alternated between the actual BT theme and Oleana’s theme constantly.

Lately I’ve also been really liking the first Eternatus battle theme. The section about a minute into it sounds like something you’d hear in a nightclub on Saturn lol
Yeah that's it. That part of Eternatus theme really sticks out.

I quite like how the background music in TIOA becomes a bit muffled when you go into a cave. I like that they've been trying to bring a bit more atmosphere into the soundscape like they did in HGSS and Gen 5. We're not quite back to those levels, of course, but still, we've had this, the return of dynamic battle music with the Gym Leader/etc. themes, and the new conceit of music that plays through an entire experience without breaking or changing for battles in order to keep up the momentum (this occurs when you and Hop storm Rose Tower as well as when you challenge one of the Towers of Two Fists).

I really like all of the new music that came in the IOA expansion, especially the battle themes (Mustard's is super hype, Avery's feels very calculating and Colress-ey, and Klaraaaaaa <3's is a fabulous pep blitz with a hint of malice beneath it, it captures her so well), so that's really got me looking more forward to the Crown Tundra. I assume that Calyrex and the Galarian birds will get their own themes, but I wonder if the Regis will just get a remix for the hundredth time. If I'm honest, I'd kind of like to hear an entirely new musical structure for them that just retains a few of the classic bits. Furthermore, I'm curious to see if the Legendary encounters through Dynamax Adventures recycle their old individual themes like in ORAS and USUM, or if there's maybe a specific Legendary Max Raid theme that's shared by all of them (I'd be okay with that, I just hope it's not the usual Max Raid theme - I'd like something to set the Legendary Raids apart).

It's a very small issue, but I've mixed feelings on the version-exclusivity of Klara and Avery's battle themes for use in the Battle Tower/Restricted Sparring/etc. On the one hand, yeah, it would be kind of weird to have the option of choosing a battle theme for somebody you never actually encountered, but at the same time, I quite like Avery's theme and would like to listen to it sometimes when playing Sword. :3 Maybe they could've had it so that trading or interacting with someone who has the opposite version gives you the theme option as a little bonus.

I really like the music! think SwSh has some of my favorite music tracks from any main series game to date. I find myself listening to a lot of them on repeat, with some favorites being Hop's, Marnie's, and Oleana's battle theme. the vs. Eternatus towards the end of the story is also really good. there are songs I found underwhelming, like the battle against Leon, but for the most part my opinion on the songs are very positive. <3 andddd now I need to go pull them up to listen because I'm in the mood lmao

The gym theme is the best in the series I think. I love how it builds up and you can hear the audience cheer. That's how I always imagined gym battles.

Rose's theme is also amazing. I wish it went to someone more menacing though..

Overall the OST for these games were great.

Not sure if it's on Gen 5 levels but it's a really good OST. Probably the second best one we have.

I'd say it's on par with the ORAS remixes which I suppose puts it on par with Gen 3 music.

I hate the Wyndon theme, though.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom