• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Human Charater Ethnicity

do you notice Ash's skin was getting darker as the series go on? I'm just saying.

all I know is Brock is mixed race maybe Latino because of his singing .

So, everyone who has red hair is Irish by default?

Miror B. sings salsa. And he's obsessed with Ludicolo, who look rather Mexican to me.

I'm not saying that, but Brock does have the Latino look and when he is singing, he is wearing Mexican clohing

Wearing Mexican clothing =/= Latino.

id think kid summeres would be austrailin(sorry for my spelling) but with no accsent.....or something?

huh

archie is most likely just full japanese, no doubt about that. maxie is probably european, a mix of scottish, french, and british. but he does have some japanese blood too.

I don't think we should go by hair color to determine race... James has blue hair - what does that mean? Anime characters generally have caucasian features, even the ones that take place in Japan.

Pokemon to me seems to take place on a series of islands in the Pacific Ocean which contain elements of both Japanese and Western culture (there's a whole long explanation for that which I'll save for a seperate thread someday), so I always assumed the characters within were either European (by way of America), mixed race, or Asian.

Blue haired people just means that they like dying their hair. As for green haired people like Cheryl and Elite 4 Arron, they just don't wash their hair and have green molds growing on them.

But your point on hair is true. What about Buck and Elite 4 Flint? Their hair is red (both are brothers so I assume it's natural), but they don't seem irish.

I've seen threads bumped on this forum before and it being treated ok so I thought I'd contribute something very interesting to this discussion
note: this is going with the idea that the Pokemon characters heritage isn't Japanese, but more based on appearance, behavior, family and vibes.

I realized something about the theory of Misty being Irish because of her red hair

everyone assumes Misty's Irish because she's a red head but what they dont take into thought is of her other sisters. We've got Violet with blue hair, Daisy with blonde and Lily with pink

Theory 1: Misty's mother could have remarried one time and that's why Misty looks so different from her sisters
Theory 2: one of Misty's sisters were from a previous marriage
Theory 3: Misty was adopted (I dont like this one though, it makes everything boring, not to mention Daisy has a quite similar hair color)
depending on what theory is most likely, we'd have to guess the color of the father's hair color over 3 different times, making heritage seem even more complex.

IIRC, Violet is the oldest sister, which means if anyone was from a previous marriage, it was Violet. It seems pretty likely as Lily, Daisy and Misty all have colors in the same area on the chart. Maybe Misty's daddy has maroon hair and Misty's mom has blond and Misty's mother's previous husband had black/blue
interesting
Violet could be part Japanese and Misty, Daisy and Lily could be something else, perhaps Swedish or English

however, that makes it a lot more complicated :/

Fantina is obviously french. Look at her dialogue. And she even says she's from another country. XP

Then there's the french (Or german?) dude with a german Magikarp around the path to Stark Mountain.

Then we have names like Empoleon, Bastiodon, and such...

D/P is very french. XP
*likes Frenchy stuff and points to Lucas's Beret*

Just a kinda OT question, but I was shocked when Brock's mom came strutting onto the scene. I thought she had passed away according to the gym battle episode, then here she is. Kinda freaked me out. Did she die or what?

xDDDD
Same here!
Kinda of a "Waaait a minute, WHAT?!" moment.

As for the topic, I think Ash is some sort of European-Japanese mix.

Brock seems Latino to me. His voice and skin shade is what makes me think it, I guess.

As for Misty, she seems.. I dunno.. American or Irish or somethin'.

o.o

I have very loose guesses.

IIRC, Violet is the oldest sister, which means if anyone was from a previous marriage, it was Violet.

where'd you get that idea? According to Pokeani, Sakura is the oldest, followed by Ayame(-tan ^^), then Botan. Given, Pokeani seems to make up info a bit (they estimate the main Pokemon's genders, as well as the characters' ages), but I can confirm for myself that Sakura is referred to as "Nee-san" by all her sisters in both the anime and the Dengeki! Pikachu manga, so this info seems correct.

Also, why're you trying to make things complicated with previous marriages and shit? It's pretty simple: it's anime, and in anime, you don't try to bring logic into people's hair colors. I mean, just look at Chibi-usa.

Daisy's hair color with Lilly's hair color is the splice combination that formed Misty's hair~

Being the middle child before Misty came, her genetics were shunned out of the chain. Oh, and her dub name didn't end in Y.

=3

That and she's too cute to be used in such a splice.

But seriously, WTF are those weird charts you linked to, with the wacko HP meters and stuff?

yeah, I guess Pokeani likes making up RPG stats for the human characters just for fun. They probably base these on the characters' traits and whatever physical activity they happened to display... of course, you can expect them to be faulty at times. I mean, look at Harley's speed.... it isn't max. How can that be? He's Sonic the fucking Hedgehog, something that was clearly noted in Rivals Forever. XD

It's hard to tell, to be honest. Most light-colored skinned anime-ish characters don't really have features that can be considered to be Asian.

they are generaly good looking. choke on that. ps Im white.

The race of the characters has never bothered me. When I first watched the show and played the game, the light skin of the characters made me automatically assume that they were of european descent (white), despite the game's japanese origins.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom