• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Humans drinking Pokemon water?

Hyatt

Reaction score
Throughout the show, water Pokemon use their water to water plants, to burn out fire or to attack but how come their water hasn't been seen as a drink on the show. Perhaps when Ash and co are in a hot desert and parched, they could use the current water Pokemon's water gun.

So how come the water from water Pokemon has never been used as a drink on the show? It'd be basically the same as drinking a Miltank's milk.

So how come the water from water Pokemon has never been used as a drink on the show? It'd be basically the same as drinking a Miltank's milk.

Cow's milk needs to be pasturized in order to be safe to drink. Chances are that the exact same thing applies to Miltank milk.

Chances are that people don't drink Pokémon water because it's basically the Pokémon's bodily fluids, meaning that it must be full of germs.

Haven't people been shown drinking milk that was squirted out of Milktank and bottled right in front of them? As in just right into the bottle, then drink, without any machines.

I know there's been at least one occasion where the gang was in a hot area and got one of their Water Pokemon to shoot a Water Gun straight up so they could cool down. So if they could essentially shower in that water, they'd probably have no problem with drinking it.

I donno about that--if you go to like a carnival and use the port-a-john, there's the portable sinks that have "non-potable water"...but it's safe to wash your hands with.

I know there's been at least one occasion where the gang was in a hot area and got one of their Water Pokemon to shoot a Water Gun straight up so they could cool down. So if they could essentially shower in that water, they'd probably have no problem with drinking it.

I only remember happening once, and that was Misty's Staryu being used as a sprinkler.

It isn't really the same thing as drinking it though. It probably isn't healthy to drink something that's been in another creature. Not without proper sanitization.

Haven't people been shown drinking milk that was squirted out of Milktank and bottled right in front of them? As in just right into the bottle, then drink, without any machines.

People do that with cow's milk, too. It's a popular activity during those farm trips for city kids. Drinking a small glass isn't exactly going to kill you.

Still, would you purposely drink something that's been ejected from something's mouth?

Still, would you purposely drink something that's been ejected from something's mouth?

If I were thirsty and desperate I sure would. Ash and co have been without water quite a few times before yet they didn't use their Pokemon's water for drinking.

Maybe it just comes down to how weird it would look doing it. But still, that doesn't justify them drinking a Miltank's milk.

Seems kind of greedy to dehydrate a Pokemon because your thirsty. I mean if its that hot I'm sure the water Pokemon must be suffering aswell, especial since, even the partly terrestrial ones always live close to a large body of water (or one large enough to sustain themselves)

A water Pokémon' water should be perfectly okay to drink. It's just plain water, except it's coming stright from a living Pokémon.
Sven said:
Seems kind of greedy to dehydrate a Pokemon because your thirsty.
I don't think using water gun once would hurt. Pokémon can use moves a lot of times before they have to stop, and Water Gun's 25 PP means the Pokémon shouldn't be dehydrated at all if just used once.

People do drink milk from cows, but you have to get used to it. If you only drink, like, the milk that you buy at the store, if you drink it when it's just been millked, you can pretty sick.

Chances are that people don't drink Pokémon water because it's basically the Pokémon's bodily fluids, meaning that it must be full of germs.

Hey, don't be too hard on them now. Some people like to do that! Yeah, yeah, their ethics are questionable, but they still like to do it.

And on the subject of sanitization, why not? There are children in African countries that can swallow whole bowlfuls of poison, because they've gradually built up an immunity to it over the years. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself, though. And as shorthair said, this also applies to unpasteurized milk, although it's quite a bit more safe than poison! The same could be applied to the Pokemon world and the seemingly infinite and physics-defying supply of water that comes from Pokemon. Worse case scenario - you can pasteurize or cleanse the water.

Hey, don't be too hard on them now. Some people like to do that! Yeah, yeah, their ethics are questionable, but they still like to do it.

And on the subject of sanitization, why not? There are children in African countries that can swallow whole bowlfuls of poison, because they've gradually built up an immunity to it over the years. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself, though. And as shorthair said, this also applies to unpasteurized milk, although it's quite a bit more safe than poison! The same could be applied to the Pokemon world and the seemingly infinite and physics-defying supply of water that comes from Pokemon. Worse case scenario - you can pasteurize or cleanse the water.

But people still die from drinking the filthy water. How is that okay for people to drink water from a questionable source?

Of course, there are also still issues with using a live creature as a living water faucet. They probably don't show it in the anime, but it's possible that care is needed to keep water Pokémon well hydrated and not use them cesslessly.

It's also probably not done out of convienience as well. Which is easier? Turning on a facuet and pour a glass of water, or getting a creature to cooperate with you to do basically the same thing. It's twice the effort for the exact same results. Not to mention that Pokémon get tired after only a little while. Household plumbing is designed to whistand years of use.

Last edited:
Throughout the show, water Pokemon use their water to water plants, to burn out fire or to attack but how come their water hasn't been seen as a drink on the show. Perhaps when Ash and co are in a hot desert and parched, they could use the current water Pokemon's water gun.

I remember one moment when they were in the desert, and were realllyyy thirsty. But they didn't use water gun. I've always been wondering why

A water Pokémon' water should be perfectly okay to drink. It's just plain water, except it's coming stright from a living Pokémon.
So are my tears but I doubt you'd want to drink them

I don't think using water gun once would hurt. Pokémon can use moves a lot of times before they have to stop, and Water Gun's 25 PP means the Pokémon shouldn't be dehydrated at all if just used once.
That's going by game mechanics which just simplifies things for the sake of the game. Why don't you take into account the fact that most water pokemon need to keep hydrated, and if you've been in a desert so long that you would resort to drinking a watergun, how do you think that water pokemon, who is used to a moist environment must be feeling?

who says the water even tastes good, in a camels stomach cavity you can usually find water that, after slaughtering the animal, is safe to drink though not very tasty!

on the other hand we need to think how the pokemon are making this water..... the water q squirtle expells in ONE water gun eaquala or exceeds its own body mass!

Well, if pokemon were real, I doubt I'd drink pokemon water unless it was 100% necessary... I'd guess it would be kinda like drinking water from a puddle maybe?

And slight offtopic, I thought the PP thing was relevent in anime? I remeber one or a few eposides when Ash pikachu tried using Iron Tail in succession, but it failed. Maybe that was the PP running out?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom