• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview HZ001: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 1 ・HZ002: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disappointed that Liko is in a Kanto boarding school, but I guess this just allows her and Roy to meet more easily. I'm not fond of the fact that Sprigatito and Liko will be struggling to bond up front since it just feels way too close to Ash and Pikachu's beginning. That said, I'm still excited to for this episode. Can't wait for a brand new fresh start for the show.

I have a feeling Roy's gonna be more of the battler, considering his big goal is to challenge some Legendary Pokemon. I don't know which, but he mentions it in the preview. This doesn't mean Liko is never gonna participate in battles though.

People: Liko isn't gonna be a battler
Trailer literally shows Liko battling Oshawott trainer with her Sprigatito.
I don't think that necessarily guarantees that she'll have a battle active goal though. Serena and the SM girls would still battle on occasion since that's kind of a big part of the franchise. That doesn't mean that they'd be considered battle active.

To be fair it might be because it has an established academy, the naranja/Uva academy seems like it would have a monopoly on schools in Paldea. And they dont wanna favor one game over the other by picking one.
There’s actually a third option they could have gone with: Manzana Academy, which is an option for an interview in-game.

I'm disappointed that Liko is in a Kanto boarding school, but I guess this just allows her and Roy to meet more easily.
Now that I think about it, this is likely the reason we start in Kanto in the first place: to have the two protagonists be able to meet each other!

Sekiei Academy
Quartz Academy.
I really wish they would have named the school after a fruit to keep up the Gen 9 theme naming for the revealed schools. Besides, what does quartz have anything to do with Kanto anyhow? It just sounds like some random name unless they plan on having the boarding school take place in Pewter City (in which case Brock better be the health instructor).

From what we have seen, Sprigatito is a different kind of not listening than Pikachu was. Pikachu was being stubborn, Sprigatito is just being a cat and just doesn't want to do anything.
I'm a little confused on something, we see a Fuecoco on the Airship, but during the Roy scene he's... also with a Fuecoco.
Are there two Fuecoco? Did the airship one somehow end up with Roy? Is Roy just very quick to get onto the airship and we just don't see any of that in the preview.
The preview is likely just made of scenes from the first couple of eps, so that could be from eps two or three.

I really wish they would have named the school after a fruit to keep up the Gen 9 theme naming for the revealed schools. Besides, what does quartz have anything to do with Kanto anyhow? It just sounds like some random name unless they plan on having the boarding school take place in Pewter City (in which case Brock better be the health instructor).
There just generally seems to be some sort of mineral naming theme going on. With all the evil team (For the lack of a better term) members having names relating to them.

And she's the main character of that franchise's show. She's a battler.
We still don't know that yet. She is the main character, but I don't think that guarantees that she's going to be a battler or have a battle active goal. They have been avoiding battle active female leads for over a decade, so I'm quite skeptical about them suddenly changing that with Liko.

There just generally seems to be some sort of mineral naming theme going on. With all the evil team (For the lack of a better term) members having names relating to them.
Doesn’t that just apply to the antagonist group though? I can’t see just repeating the theme…

They’re connected to Liko’s school, aren’t they? That would explain why she encounters them so early on, especially if they caught wind of her pendent.

We still don't know that yet. She is the main character, but I don't think that guarantees that she's going to be a battler or have a battle active goal. They have been avoiding battle active female leads for over a decade, so I'm quite skeptical about them suddenly changing that with Liko.
Riko is going to be Satoshi's replacement, it's wrong to compare her to the previous secondary characters just because she's happened to be a girl.

Riko is going to be Satoshi's replacement, it's wrong to compare to previous supporting characters just because she's happened to be a girl.
I wouldn't call Serena or even the SM girls supporting characters though. They didn't have the same role as Ash, but I think saying that they were supporting characters is underselling them a bit too much, if not underselling the lack of female battlers for years too. Besides that, I still don't see them drastically changing how they've handle female characters just because Liko is the new lead. I'm not saying that she's going to be afraid to battle like Chloe, but despite her getting the most focus out of the promotion thus far, I would kind of need to see her do a lot more than one battle with her new partner Pokemon to think that they'll make her more battle active. I just don't have a lot of confidence about them suddenly changing how they've handle female character for the better part of a decade, regardless of Liko being a new main lead instead of a traveling companion.

If done well, Liko's goal simply being to investigate and uncover the mysteries of her pendant while keeping it safe can be a decent plotline. I do think though that the anime does need someone with a more battle focused goal. It does seem likewe have that though with Roy. Battling has always been important to the games and anime, so to not have that aspect would hurt the anime more than anything. Like I said though, it seems we have it covered with Roy.

Last edited:
Besides that, I still don't see them drastically changing how they've handle female characters just because Liko is the new lead.
Yet you have no problem to believe that they'll drastically change the main character's role. Even though we already see her battling and her amulet is battle related.

Yet you have no problem to believe that they'll drastically change the main character's role. Even though we already see her battling and her amulet is battle related.
We've only briefly seen one battle seemingly against another new trainer. That's really not enough to say that she'll have a battle active goal or be a battler. I'm not sure if her amulet is battle related. It wouldn't be a stretch when it seems connected to terastallize, or at least the light around Shiny Rayquaza was similar to it, but I don't know if that is confirmed exactly yet either.

To be clear, I'm not against Liko being a battler. The anime has needed more battle active female characters in the cast for ages, so my issue isn't that I'm against it. My issue is that I'm skeptical of them being more willing to have a battle active female lead when they have been avoiding that for years. Regardless of being the new main lead, it's hard for me to see them being willing to make Liko more into battling when they didn't even want a proper female lead in just the previous series.

As long as Liko still gets a full team of 6 I'm fine with her goal not being super battle focused.
I just want the Grass type starter curse to be broken. We haven't had one on the main cast evolve since Torterra. I really just want Sprigatito to evolve. Floragato is my favorite Gen IX Pokemon and I really don't wanna see it get robbed of screentime.

I just want the Grass type starter curse to be broken. We haven't had one on the main cast evolve since Torterra. I really just want Sprigatito to evolve. Floragato is my favorite Gen IX Pokemon and I really don't wanna see it get robbed of screentime.

Well... at least one curse is lifted and that is the the female lead cannot have a Grass starter.

It would be interesting to see if Roy gets both Fuecoco and Quaxly or only Fuecoco, since even then that is already a massive change, since Ash never got a sole Fire type or a Water/Fire type starter combo.

They're probably setting up a Meowscarada vs. Ceruledge battle down the line, so I'm sure Floragato will get its time. I wrote this somewhere before, but I have a gut feeling Spirgatito will evolve somewhere in like the 30s or early 40s at latest for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom