• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ006: The Ancient Monster Ball

So Roy's mysterious Pokeball indeed
had the shiny Rayquaza in it although it disappears afterwards. Roy's clearly interested in it so it's most certainly going to reappear again one day.

Also at long last we finally get to see that there's more members of the Explorers and their mysterious boss so I'm sure they'll also be getting a piece of the action soon enough.

And also Roy now has cute little Fuecocco as his pal and finally joins the Rising Volt Tacklers crew which means the whole gang's here and the adventures can truly begin.

Pretty good end to Roy's opening introductory arc. I'm looking forward now to seeing how the regional journey aspect turns out in a couple of weeks.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Minori Suzuki: Liko
Megumi Hayashibara: Nyahoja
Yuka Terasaki: Roy
Daiki Yamashita: Hogator
Taku Yashiro: Friede
Ayane Sakura: Orio
Kenta Miyake: Murdock
Kei Shindo: Molly
Ikkyu Juku: Landau
Shun Horie: Amethyo
Kohsuke Tanabe: Zir
Arisa Shida: Conia
Shun Horie: Amethyo
Kohsuke Tanabe: Zir
Arisa Shida: Conia
Show Hayami: Gibeon
Makoto Furukawa: Spinel
Hironori Kondo: Hamber
Jin Urayama: Roy's Grandfather
Yoshino Aoyama: Gurumin
Daisuke Namikawa: Kuwassu
Ikue Ohtani: Captain Pikachu

All I have to say is that I'm glad there's more people in the explorers (Seemingly 4. not counting the leader and butler, plus any underlings or whatever), was afraid it would get stale after a while if it was just the three we've already met.

Finally! Finally Roy caught Fuecoco! This was actually a pretty satisfying capture to see after watching them bond over the last 3 episodes. Also its so great to see Roy officially become a member of the Rising Volt Tacklers.

Also kinda nice to find out there's more members of the Explorers. Wonder when we'll get to see them get involved.

Overall another pretty solid episode. Pokemon Horizons has been off to a great start so far.

Great episode. I like how we concluded Roy's introductory arc with him finally catching Fuecoco and joining the Rising Volt Tacklers. He continues to be the cutest bean, singing to celebrate catching Fuecoco. I'm interested in seeing how his story with the shiny Rayquaza will go. I find it a bit odd what little attention Rayquaza got considering how it bust out of that Poke Ball unexepctedly, but hopefully it'll reappear soon.

It was nice seeing Liko and Roy team up for the battle against the Explorers. Hopefully we can see them battle together on occasion. I'm excited to see where their journeys will take them moving forward. 9/10.

Not sure how I feel about Roy getting a Rayquaza. It feels like they keep giving Liko and Roy all these overpowered protectors like Friede, baby Terapagos, the pendant and now Rayquaza. Why would they even be motivated to grow stronger to defeat the Explorers when they can just rely on this? Maybe an episode where they get lost from the ship and lost the pendant and Rayquaza ball would spice things up.

Not sure how I feel about Roy getting a Rayquaza. It feels like they keep giving Liko and Roy all these overpowered protectors like Friede, baby Terapagos, the pendant and now Rayquaza. Why would they even be motivated to grow stronger to defeat the Explorers when they can just rely on this? Maybe an episode where they get lost from the ship and lost the pendant and Rayquaza ball would spice things up.
What are you talking about? The only thing Roy got was Fuecoco. Rayquaza went on a rampage, outright refused to go back in the ball, and left. There was no protecting of any kind here.

A solid conclusion to the Roy-introduction three-parter.

Roy is definitely my favorite character in Horizons at the moment. He really has a heart of gold. I like how he had to learn that he had to consider his would-be Pokemon's dream, not only his own, when making the decision to become partners. He is also just really fun to watch.

I wonder how much we will actually learn about the ancient adventurer, since they've now seemingly connected him with the pendant. The Shiny Rayquaza was pretty cool. It also gave Liko a mysterious look, so even more evidence that the pendant is connected to whatever went down with him. Roy seems to have made it his overall mission to meet Rayquaza again, so I wonder how that will actually turn out by the end of this series.

Again, the Explorer trio are boring but at least it seems like Amethio is going to start developing as a character (hopefully soon). He was kicked off the pendant mission, so he is pivoting towards finding Rayquaza. I definitely think he will turn against the Explorers at some point. We got to see hints at other members of the Explorers, so I assume we will see them, with Spinel being the first.

A side-note, Sprigatito & Fuecoco activating their abilities so soon makes me hopeful that abilities will be more utilized overall, as they were rarely used in the past.

Anyways, Quaxly is in the next episode so it will be a 10/10 episode.

Personally I’d hope that Liko becomes motivated to become stronger so that she won’t need to be protected by Friedo or baby Tarapagos, not wanting to feel like a damsel in distress.

One time isnt the best basis but, so far baby terapagos has only protected Liko from something that might have seriously injured her, so not really a reason not to get stronger given it doesnt seem to help in battle at all.

It's officially confirmed that Roy has been in possession of a shiny legendary Pokémon the entire time, just in time for said legendary to leave, giving the cast something to do after their trip to Paldea. Ametheo gets kicked off his mission only to pick a new one that will still ensure he crosses paths with the Rising Volt Tacklers. Liko gives Roy some important advice (our girl is turning out to be pretty reliable for a rookie trainer) and Roy finally catches Fuecoco, joins the team (although he's going to need some practice doing the team hand sign), and gives back the flag.

Roy is definitely my favorite character in Horizons at the moment. He really has a heart of gold. I like how he had to learn that he had to consider his would-be Pokemon's dream, not only his own, when making the decision to become partners. He is also just really fun to watch.
In my opinion Roy's character is flat and very unoriginal. On the other hand, Liko's character is more special, this is the first time we have such an MC, regardless of the fact that she is the sweetest thing. Liko is very smart for her age (remember she is only 10 years old) and she is a deep character, she is a breath of fresh air. Roy is cool, but he's nothing special. That's why Liko is much better than him right now.

In my opinion Roy's character is flat and very unoriginal. On the other hand, Liko's character is more special, this is the first time we have such an MC, regardless of the fact that she is the sweetest thing. Liko is very smart for her age (remember she is only 10 years old) and she is a deep character, she is a breath of fresh air. Roy is cool, but he's nothing special. That's why Liko is much better than him right now.
Liko is great but I wouldn't call her deep. it's only been 5 episodes

One time isnt the best basis but, so far baby terapagos has only protected Liko from something that might have seriously injured her, so not really a reason not to get stronger given it doesnt seem to help in battle at all.
Twice now but the point is wanting to become stronger so that she won’t need to be protected and can instead protect the pendant and herself without needing someone or something to make the save.

As you said, the pendant only seems to protect Liko from something that could dangerous hurt her.

It won't protect Liko from the Explorers, who want to kidnap her (but not hurt her).

As you said, the pendant only seems to protect Liko from something that could dangerous hurt her.

It won't protect Liko from the Explorers, who want to kidnap her (but not hurt her).
But it did exactly that this episode when Amethio came after her. Now if they manage to get close to her before attempting to take her, maybe but attempts to take her by force also seem to activate it.

The end of the battle was a bit rushed to be honest. But at least we had Fuecoco & Sprigatito working together and activating their abilites as well as the nice image of Rayquaza flying in the sky.

Amethio has a rival? YES. This is an interesting way to give him more development. Since the new guy will likely appear during the Paldea arc I expect him to have Pokemon from that region, most likely Armarouge. Gibeon is certainly hiding something, hopefully it's something less predictable that they're the butler's puppet, but we can say they're certainly smarter than Giovanni since they do not tolerate failings as much lol.

Fuecoco's capture was wholesome and adorable, certainly one of the best in current years.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom