• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ015: Someone We Can't See! Whosawhatsit?

Liko not only gets her memories back but also gets to participate in a collab between Guruimin and Nanjamo and see what Dot looks like. Overall not that bad a day although she still has to retrieve her pendant. Meanwhile, Roy had to chase his bird a long distance and figure out where Liko went.

Friede really needs to keep better track of what he's told people and what he hasn't.

What's silly is that Liko's memory loss added nothing to the episode, given the only person affected by it was her

She could've been asleep in an alley and the episode would have played out the same way
I agree. I also feel that such a introspective episode about Liko's character was done far too early as I feel that she has barely accomplished anything of particular note. This is also the second time she's basically been a damsel in distress (the first when Sprigatito was kidnapped, now her pendant stolen) regarding something on her person, that she's inevitably going to have to mostly rely on Friede to fix, which doesn't rub me the right way given that she's supposed to be a main character.

Iono was really cool, if not a bit overly self-centered.

I'm really liking the trend of incorporating the Gym Challenges from the games into the actual plot of the episodes. The amnesia plot was the perfect excuse for Iono to do her hide-and-seek minigame, and I'm impressed by how perfectly the former set up for the latter. Really hoping they continue this trend, since the Gym Challenges on their own tend to be quite awkward in the games. The only downside here is that unlike the Brassius episode, there wasn't any room for a battle with Iono in this episode, but I highly doubt this is gonna be her only appearance in the series, so I'm not too worried about it.

Dot's the other big highlight of the episode. Really glad to see that she's coming out of her shell so quickly, since it means more screentime and development for both her and Quaxly. I really like the prior friendship that's already been established between her and Iono, and how Iono was extremely willing to help her upon finding out that the shut-in managed to make an IRL friend. Really looking forward to seeing more action from her and Quaxly next episode.

What's silly is that Liko's memory loss added nothing to the episode, given the only person affected by it was her

She could've been asleep in an alley and the episode would have played out the same way
We got to see Liko and Sprigatito slowly regaining their memories throughout the episode, which I thought was fairly entertaining. And I doubt the hide-and-seek sequence would've been anywhere near as fun if Liko's just asleep in some random alley somewhere. Again, I just really like how the amnesia plot transitioned into the hide-and-seek game so smoothly.

One fun little detail I noticed: Liko commanding Sprigatito to use Quick Attack and Sprigatito using the move without any hesitation was one of the many signs that their memories were slowly coming back, since that was a move that they only learned after joining the Volt Tacklers.

This is also the second time she's basically been a damsel in distress (the first when Sprigatito was kidnapped, now her pendant stolen) regarding something on her person, that she's inevitably going to have to mostly rely on Friede to fix, which doesn't rub me the right way given that she's supposed to be a main character.
I find the "damsel in distress" complaint a bit interesting here, because while it very accurately depicts her situation in this episode after having her memory wiped and her pendant stolen, the episode also goes out of its way to showcase Liko defending herself quite effectively during the hide-and-seek sequence (granted, it was against random civilians who were simply partaking in a fun little game). So it's kind of a... two steps backward, one step forward situation? I dunno, it's a bit weird. I agree that Liko getting herself into big trouble again is a bit annoying, but I think the episode is fun enough to make up for it.

I dont agree. Everything Liko did was necessary for her character, it added a lot to the episode.

I'm really liking the trend of incorporating the Gym Challenges from the games into the actual plot of the episodes. The amnesia plot was the perfect excuse for Iono to do her hide-and-seek minigame, and I'm impressed by how perfectly the former set up for the latter. Really hoping they continue this trend, since the Gym Challenges on their own tend to be quite awkward in the games. The only downside here is that unlike the Brassius episode, there wasn't any room for a battle with Iono in this episode, but I highly doubt this is gonna be her only appearance in the series, so I'm not too worried about it.

Dot's the other big highlight of the episode. Really glad to see that she's coming out of her shell so quickly, since it means more screentime and development for both her and Quaxly. I really like the prior friendship that's already been established between her and Iono, and how Iono was extremely willing to help her upon finding out that the shut-in managed to make an IRL friend. Really looking forward to seeing more action from her and Quaxly next episode.

We got to see Liko and Sprigatito slowly regaining their memories throughout the episode, which I thought was fairly entertaining. And I doubt the hide-and-seek sequence would've been anywhere near as fun if Liko's just asleep in some random alley somewhere. Again, I just really like how the amnesia plot transitioned into the hide-and-seek game so smoothly.

One fun little detail I noticed: Liko commanding Sprigatito to use Quick Attack and Sprigatito using the move without any hesitation was one of the many signs that their memories were slowly coming back, since that was a move that they only learned after joining the Volt Tacklers.

I find the "damsel in distress" complaint a bit interesting here, because while it very accurately depicts her situation in this episode after having her memory wiped and her pendant stolen, the episode also goes out of its way to showcase Liko defending herself quite effectively during the hide-and-seek sequence (granted, it was against random civilians who were simply partaking in a fun little game). So it's kind of a... two steps backward, one step forward situation? I dunno, it's a bit weird. I agree that Liko getting herself into big trouble again is a bit annoying, but I think the episode is fun enough to make up for it.

I agree.

I agree. I also feel that such a introspective episode about Liko's character was done far too early as I feel that she has barely accomplished anything of particular note. This is also the second time she's basically been a damsel in distress (the first when Sprigatito was kidnapped, now her pendant stolen) regarding something on her person, that she's inevitably going to have to mostly rely on Friede to fix, which doesn't rub me the right way given that she's supposed to be a main character.

Iono was really cool, if not a bit overly self-centered.
But Friede didn't fix either of those situations. She was the one who found and rescued Sprigatito. He just kept Amethio busy. And in this ep, his only real contribution was serving as a taxi for Dot. Liko's memory issue was fixed all by herself.

But Friede didn't fix either of those situations. She was the one who found and rescued Sprigatito. He just kept Amethio busy. And in this ep, his only real contribution was serving as a taxi for Dot. Liko's memory issue was fixed all by herself.
Liko was only able to find and rescue Sprigatito with Friede’s assistance. Downplaying the first incident by saying he kept Amethio busy doesn’t negate that she would have been unable to confront or distract him by herself, Pokemon-less, let alone reach them in first place. As far as I’m concerned, that’s him fixing the situation.

Secondly, I wasn’t just talking about this episode as I originally mentioned in my comment - he’s going to help her get her pendant back, in which case she’ll be having to rely on his assistance once more, in addition to the key contribution he made in this episode.

Liko not only gets her memories back but also gets to participate in a collab between Guruimin and Nanjamo and see what Dot looks like. Overall not that bad a day although she still has to retrieve her pendant. Meanwhile, Roy had to chase his bird a long distance and figure out where Liko went.

Friede really needs to keep better track of what he's told people and what he hasn't.
You know, the sad thing is that they had the perfect way to explain why Friede didn’t tell anyone via Beheeyem messing with their memories but instead they only posited it in Friede’s quiz section at the end of the episode rather than in the episode itself.

Roy won the game so that might indicate he will have the gym battle with Iono in the future. Loved the episode and Iono's energy

Roy won the game so that might indicate he will have the gym battle with Iono in the future. Loved the episode and Iono's energy
Not necessarily. Back in the episode with Brassius it was Liko who contributed the most to finding the Sunflora thus “winning” the challenge yet it was Roy who ended up battling him. So the person completing a challenge doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the one who will battle the gym leader.

I have never been a fan of the "memory lost" trope, as it's always solved predictably with The Power of Love™/Friendship™, and this wasn't the exception, and there wasn't anything interesting done with it save for some episode 1&3 callbacks. Fortunately the story around it was very cool, a night chase through a big city being framed as a literal social media challenge is genius. Dot had an interesting development and it was fun seeing her overcome many challenges and doing very smart deductions. I wish the mini-battles Liko faced had been longer but what we got was decent enough.

I'm mixed on Iono, she was a big grating but at the same time I want to know more of her and how she influenced Dot's life since there's clearly a story there waiting to be told. Hopefully they don't pull a Nemona and Brassius and make her disappear the next episode. Also, we deserved to see more of Bellibolt!

I’m glad that we got see Iono in the anime and Levincia city was beautifully represented in this episode. I think the whole challenge of finding Liko was a great way to incorporate something that came straight from the games. It was nice to see Liko battling the people who were chasing after her, even if it was brief. As for Dot, she got a couple of shining moments in this episode which was good character development for her, even if I’m not particularly interested in her character.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom