• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ020: Kabu-san's Battle Training

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
This week Kabu finally gets the anime spotlight and both Liko and Roy do some training and even has a battle with him. Discuss this week's episode.

On my side it was a pretty great episode. It was nice to see them both get some training done and Kabu's a very enjoyable character. Wouldn't mind him popping up again in the future.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HZ020

EP20 was very important to Liko's character development. She is too kind and gentle, she let Roy win and gave up in the battle because of Kabu's feelings. Liko learns that to be a trainer she can't be soft all the time. It's beautiful!

A little bit disappointment for this episode especially Liko. That needed to be no mercy in upcoming episode against Explorer. Kabu advice to her hope she and her partner can awake the potential. Too soft make the antagonist having the advantages. That is not good.

Overall rating: B-

Pretty decent episode. I was really concerned in the first half of Liko and Roy's gym test that once again it would be a case of Roy losing and Liko effortlessly doing far better than him, since that's how it was going at first. But I was pleasantly surprised that Roy ended up winning once he and Fuecoco started their song (and ate some food). I may not like Fuecoco, but Roy remains the cutest of beans and I adore their singing together. Regardless, I would like to see more situations like this were Roy ends up be better than Liko. She doesn't need to always slay in training while Roy gets destroyed.

As for the battle against Kabu, it went about as I expected with Kabu overpowering the kids. I did NOT expect Flamethrower for Fuecoco. That was really great. Once again, great progress for Roy in that aspect. Also the electric guitar during his song was really nice. Now I didn't appreciate the fact that after learning Flamethrower, he just fainted immediately after. Like seriously, Sprigatito who is weak to fire can take a Flamethrower to the face and stay standing, but Fuecoco faints after 2, even though he resists it? Why does Fuecoco need to always faint after making some kind of progress? Can't it and Sprigatito both remain standing by the end? Furthermore, IF Fuecoco must lose, why couldn't Roy just send out Wattrel? He does have two Pokémon now. It doesn't have to always just be Fuecoco.

Also, Liko just giving up on the battle was pretty odd, but I guess it was for her to have a learning moment. But I mean, I feel like she could have had a learning moment without straight up ignoring Sprigatito who clearly wanted to keep battling... Idk, that was odd to me. But I was surprised how much I enjoyed the gym trainer and her passion for battling, not to mention just her personality in general. Her fangirling over Kabu's Centiscorch was cute.

Overall, despite me having a few issues with the episode, I did enjoy it and thought it was good. I like that both Liko and Roy got something out of the training, and I hope they'll do better with giving both of the protagonists focus and attention in a single episode. And once again, I REALLY hope we get to see more of Galar's gym leaders and aspects that were ignored in Journeys. 7/10 for me.

Pretty decent episode. I was really concerned in the first half of Liko and Roy's gym test that once again it would be a case of Roy losing and Liko effortlessly doing far better than him, since that's how it was going at first. But I was pleasantly surprised that Roy ended up winning once he and Fuecoco started their song (and ate some food). I may not like Fuecoco, but Roy remains the cutest of beans and I adore their singing together. Regardless, I would like to see more situations like this were Roy ends up be better than Liko. She doesn't need to always slay in training while Roy gets destroyed.

As for the battle against Kabu, it went about as I expected with Kabu overpowering the kids. I did NOT expect Flamethrower for Fuecoco. That was really great. Once again, great progress for Roy in that aspect. Also the electric guitar during his song was really nice. Now I didn't appreciate the fact that after learning Flamethrower, he just fainted immediately after. Like seriously, Sprigatito who is weak to fire can take a Flamethrower to the face and stay standing, but Fuecoco faints after 2, even though he resists it? Why does Fuecoco need to always faint after making some kind of progress? Can't it and Sprigatito both remain standing by the end? Furthermore, IF Fuecoco must lose, why couldn't Roy just send out Wattrel? He does have two Pokémon now. It doesn't have to always just be Fuecoco.

Also, Liko just giving up on the battle was pretty odd, but I guess it was for her to have a learning moment. But I mean, I feel like she could have had a learning moment without straight up ignoring Sprigatito who clearly wanted to keep battling... Idk, that was odd to me. But I was surprised how much I enjoyed the gym trainer and her passion for battling, not to mention just her personality in general. Her fangirling over Kabu's Centiscorch was cute.

Overall, despite me having a few issues with the episode, I did enjoy it and thought it was good. I like that both Liko and Roy got something out of the training, and I hope they'll do better with giving both of the protagonists focus and attention in a single episode. And once again, I REALLY hope we get to see more of Galar's gym leaders and aspects that were ignored in Journeys. 7/10 for me.
It's all part of Liko's character development, her connection with Sprigatito is also not complete yet, she knew they were going to win, because she is kind and the cutest, she gave them up.

Technically she let him win for the same reason she quits the tag battle. There were a bunch of Litwicks in Sprigatito's range that would've kept the challenge going.

Well, turns out I was right after all, there was a new move learned here by one of the protagonists' Pokémon! Didn't expect it to be Flamethrower of all things for Fuecoco, that was a bit of a surprise. Seems a bit early for such a powerful STAB move, no?

Didn't expect it to be Flamethrower of all things for Fuecoco, that was a bit of a surprise. Seems a bit early for such a powerful STAB move, no?
Yeah I thought he would get something like Flame Charge instead. Although, it is not unheard of in the anime. May’s Squirtle got ice beam right of the bat, while her Eevee had Shadow Ball. Dawn’s buneary had Ice Beam upon capture and that was her second pokemon. I’m not trying to justify it, but yeah they have done this before lol

Poor Liko, realizing that she has all the trappings of a typical pokegirl who stands around doing nothing while the guys do all the work

Here's hoping she overcomes that hurdle
It's not true, her character is interesting and she does do things, she doesn't stand aside.

Liko and Roy meet not only Kabu but also a (quite cute) aspiring gym trainer named Wakaba. Liko learns a lesson about being too nice (and seemingly agile and strong style Leafage) and Fuecoco learns Flamethrower. Kabu being from Hoenn doesn't give him any particular insight into the black Rayquaza but he did happen to see it heading west.

It isn't mentioned whether Liko, Roy, and Murdock forgot Dot's cotton candy or obtained it off-screen.

Really, really good episode. Liko and Roy got some great development.

I really liked how Liko took Leafage and came up with different variations of it. I didn't make the connection of the Strong/Agile style moves from PLA, but it does seem to add up. Big Leafage took a little longer to charge, while sharp Leafage took less. Either way, it was really smart of her to come up with those on the spot like that.

Liko is really smart but she tends to hesitate or get distracted, which often causes her and Sprigatito to fall out of sync. She is very perceptive of what other people are feeling and wants to help them to the best of her abilities.

Seeing Roy and Wakaba have such determination for reaching their goals makes Liko finally realize that she doesn't really have a dream or goal of her own. She has been coasting on the fact that her pendant has given her all these new connections and wants to find out all the mysteries surrounding it, but that isn't enough to propel her growth as a trainer and she knows it. Now she just has to find out what she herself wants to do.

But nothing could be as cool as Roy and Fuecoco singing together while that cool remix(?) version of their theme played in the background. That was super hype imo. Tons of fire starters in the anime have started off with Flamethrower or learned it soon after their debuts, so this is nothing new in that regard. Him also having Stomping Tantrum from so early is a little strong, but I suppose it fits his personality.

Whereas Liko tends to hesitate and try to think things through, Roy tends to charge straight ahead without thinking. However, he and Fuecoco are pretty much perfectly in sync. I like how Liko and Roy have sort of reverse problem.

Kabu was a great teacher in this episode and it was nice to see him offer them advice he has learned over his life. Failure is a better teacher than success.

Excited to see how Liko continues to develop in the next episode with her meeting with Hatenna. I'm guessing this is all building up to her talking with her grandma, who we know is a big explorer/adventurer and she will offer Liko her own advice.

While it is nice that the writers have acknowledged that Liko is kind hearted to a fault with putting others before herself, I am a bit disappointed that rather than the writers using this opportunity to be payoff for Liko’s moment of introspection from the end of the Paldea arc that they used it as a point of again saying that she needs character development. I do hope that we begin to see some of the fruits of her development before the end of year 1 of the series so we can take the next steps towards her becoming a strong trainer because at this point, it’s like cooking a 4 course meal with the flame on low.

Well, turns out I was right after all, there was a new move learned here by one of the protagonists' Pokémon! Didn't expect it to be Flamethrower of all things for Fuecoco, that was a bit of a surprise. Seems a bit early for such a powerful STAB move, no?
Yeah I thought he would get something like Flame Charge instead. Although, it is not unheard of in the anime. May’s Squirtle got ice beam right of the bat, while her Eevee had Shadow Ball. Dawn’s buneary had Ice Beam upon capture and that was her second pokemon. I’m not trying to justify it, but yeah they have done this before lol
Don't forget Ash's own OS Fire-types, both of whom had Flamethrower from the very start and even used it before they learned any weaker Fire-type attacks.

Don't forget Ash's own OS Fire-types, both of whom had Flamethrower from the very start and even used it before they learned any weaker Fire-type attacks.
Yeah, I realized that after I had already typed out the message LOL. :slowpoke: But still, you have to remember there were a lot fewer Fire type moves back in the day; in fact, Charmander for instance could only learn Ember, Fire Spin, and Flamethrower for Fire type moves (and Ash's happened to know all of them.) I wonder if Charmander and Cyndaquil knew Flamethrower first though because it was the easiest to animate? :unsure:

The two kids clearly arent strong enough to defeat a gym leader that has advantage against them. It would be forced if they won. They should defeat other kids before winning against any gym leader.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom