• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ020: Kabu-san's Battle Training

Yeah, I realized that after I had already typed out the message LOL. :slowpoke: But still, you have to remember there were a lot fewer Fire type moves back in the day; in fact, Charmander for instance could only learn Ember, Fire Spin, and Flamethrower for Fire type moves (and Ash's happened to know all of them.) I wonder if Charmander and Cyndaquil knew Flamethrower first though because it was the easiest to animate? :unsure:
It most likely was, but Cyndaquil's case is especially interesting because Flame Wheel was readily available, yet we only saw it use it in late DPP.

I think this episode sents up Liko taking on a less battle oriented path. Kabu telling her that there are ways to be a trainer without battles seems important. Adding the next episode is her helping a Hatenna, maybe Liko will take a rescuer/breeder trainer path?

I think this episode sents up Liko taking on a less battle oriented path. Kabu telling her that there are ways to be a trainer without battles seems important. Adding the next episode is her helping a Hatenna, maybe Liko will take a rescuer/breeder trainer path?

I saw someone suggest that if she does end up catching Hatenna, maybe she'll end up being a sort of Pokemon Magician/Entertainer and will have a team that reflects that since Meowscarada is the Magician Pokemon and Hatterene is very witch-like. She also idolizes Gurumin as a streamer and it could symbolize her overcoming her social anxiety.

I feel like theres a decent chance she wont decide on exactly what she wants to be untill towards the end of the series when the pendant is solved and all. Just probably come to the conclusion of "I want to do something where I help Pokemon" or whatever it ends up being. And obviously become less of a... not sure what to call her pushover feels too mean for what she is but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
But nothing could be as cool as Roy and Fuecoco singing together while that cool remix(?) version of their theme played in the background. That was super hype imo.
Yeah, up till now, I haven't really thought much about the singing beyond it just being a cute little thing that bonded Roy and Fuecoco together. But when the background theme started kicking in while they were singing in this episode, I genuinely got chills. Even if I wasn't entirely sure why Roy thought singing harder would've helped in that situation, the background theme kicking in really helped to make that moment feel really hype. I guess Roy simply thought that all he could do in that moment was to give Fuecoco as much motivation as possible, and considering the payoff with Fuecoco unleashing Flamethrower, it definitely worked.

Anyway, putting Roy aside, Liko got a lot of development as well. Battle-wise, we can see her strategic thinking starting to develop when she figured out that Sprigatito's Leafage can be utilized in different ways, such as focusing the attack or spreading it out over a larger area. I'm not entirely sure if this is supposed to be a homage to Legends: Arceus's battle system or not, but I do see the similarities. Aside from that, it was nice to see Liko developing her interpersonal skills as well. Previous episodes have shown how kind and considerate of a person Liko is, but this episode showed that being too kind can be detrimental to both her friends and her own Pokemon, especially when it comes to Pokemon battles. I'm really interested to see how her development as Pokemon Trainer continues from here on out, especially with Kabu's comment at the end that battling isn't the only path that trainers can take.

If it was without realizing it, then she didn't let him win. Letting someone win something is an intentional decision, not someone else has to tell you.
Not necessarily. When something like that is something ingrained into you, it can be something you do even without realizing it. It was enough that Kabu was able to see it.

It most likely was, but Cyndaquil's case is especially interesting because Flame Wheel was readily available, yet we only saw it use it in late DPP.
Cyndaquil's whole case in general was interesting. Seriously, the more I rewatch Johto the more I can't wrap my head around how bad the writers messed up with Cyndaquil. I mean, Flame Wheel would've been a cool new move to show off too, but nope, all it got for over 10 years was Flamethrower for Fire attacks. :tentacruel: As you said, it did finally get the move in (very) late DPP, but it was almost too little, too late.
I saw someone suggest that if she does end up catching Hatenna, maybe she'll end up being a sort of Pokemon Magician/Entertainer and will have a team that reflects that since Meowscarada is the Magician Pokemon and Hatterene is very witch-like. She also idolizes Gurumin as a streamer and it could symbolize her overcoming her social anxiety.
I could be wrong, but I think that was my post you were thinking of! :bulbaWave:

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom