• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ032: Laplace's Memories Of Its Companions

Loved how Ludlow managed to steer the ship (something even Friede respects) while Quagsire was using using that enormous surf to protect the Brave Asagi. Definitely my favorite part of the episode. Makes me wonder if we will be getting an episode focused on his adventures at sea (if he had any). Maybe show him battling giant sea monsters? That would be top notch.

They should’ve included the RTV pokemon that roam around the ship to fight against the wild pokemon. I wasn’t expecting Lapras to attack the ship, but it was great and that shot in which he is approaching the ship at full speed was kinda terrifying. It seems Lapras anger and surrow was completely related to the ancient hero. I thought the scars on his body meant that he had some previous unpleasant encounters with villains of some sort, but so far it seems it was only done to give him and Wailord the pirate look.

Diana’s moral of the story was odd. She justified the actions of the pirate pokemon under the pretext of “survival”, but pokemon are capable of understanding the difference between good and bad. There have been some encounters in the anime in which wild pokemon have been reprimanded for stealing from others, somehow it is considered okay in this situation?

Overall I enjoyed this episode very much!

Yea, the whole thing with Diana feels like a broken Aesop. It’s not like the pirate crew are morally grey and taking from people because they have young or sick in need of it as we’ve seen in this kind of thing in the past. Instead they’re luring people in and robbing them while in the guise of Lapras guiding them out of the mist. They’re in the wrong, perspective or no.

Also, really not a fan of this narrative we’ve gotten of Lucius’ Pokémon doing bad things because they miss him. It just doesn’t feel compelling because it comes across as them having a tantrum and making it everyone else’s problem. If there was something external that was corrupting their feelings this leading to them acting in the way they have and the RVT have to figure how to free them from it, that’d at least feel a bit less cheesy than what we’ve gotten.

That’s a very black and white way of looking at it. Especially since the show goes out of its way to not portray the pirates as complete monsters.

They only steal food. They don’t attack unless it’s to defend themselves/incapacitate a target. They clearly avoid any lasting consequences. Last ep even showed the ship they stole from was able to restock without any real trouble.

Even though Lapras was clearly strong enough to do some serious damage to the ship, the worst it did was freeze them in place.

The show isn’t defending their actions or saying they’re fully in the right, merely saying that different creatures live differently.. Animals steal from each other in nature all the time.

Also, really not a fan of this narrative we’ve gotten of Lucius’ Pokémon doing bad things because they miss him. It just doesn’t feel compelling because it comes across as them having a tantrum and making it everyone else’s problem. If there was something external that was corrupting their feelings this leading to them acting in the way they have and the RVT have to figure how to free them from it, that’d at least feel a bit less cheesy than what we’ve gotten.
It was only two of them to be fair, Rayquaza has sorta just been floating around and Arboliva was being protective of a forest which was struggling.

It was only two of them to be fair, Rayquaza has sorta just been floating around and Arboliva was being protective of a forest which was struggling.
Only 2 sure, but the fact that it’s been 2 back to back is my problem. This whole thing has been pretty paint by the numbers enough without things ending up thematically copy and pasted. Doesn’t help that this has been how the encounters changed since they established Liko’s goal of understanding Pokemon’s feelings as if to be tailor fit to that and that alone. I’m just hoping that the last 2 give some variety.

I’m confused as to why this particular group of pokemon need to steal from others when they are living in the vast ocean where plenty of pokemon feed themselves without resorting to thievery, not to mention that they could swim to any inhabited land and search for food. If they are smart enough to fool people on wandering ships, they could also search for food in other ways.

Not this series doing "Interesting premise is resolved by 10 painful and boring minutes of exposition and seeing Terapagos shine" again :bulbaFacepalm:

I gave ep 24 a negative review but at least that one had something to say about Liko's empathy and goals. This one was such a nothing episode...It could maybe have worked as a one-parter instead of two and even then it wouldn't be anything amazing.

2/10

Not this series doing "Interesting premise is resolved by 10 painful and boring minutes of exposition and seeing Terapagos shine" again :bulbaFacepalm:

I gave ep 24 a negative review but at least that one had something to say about Liko's empathy and goals. This one was such a nothing episode...It could maybe have worked as a one-parter instead of two and even then it wouldn't be anything amazing.

2/10
Honestly these kinds of scenarios make me kinda wish that the writers at some point give Liko an opponent who even understanding isn’t enough to get through to. It would be a nice subversion to what is becoming pretty formulaic and give the lesson that sometimes even if you understand another that doesn’t mean that your differences can be reconciled through understanding alone.

Honestly these kinds of scenarios make me kinda wish that the writers at some point give Liko an opponent who even understanding isn’t enough to get through to. It would be a nice subversion to what is becoming pretty formulaic and give the lesson that sometimes even if you understand another that doesn’t mean that your differences can be reconciled through understanding alone.
Right. There are those who simply can't be reasoned with through words or "understanding" alone.

Back
Top Bottom