• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ035: A Duo in the Wilderness: Friede and Cap

I do find it weird how both evolutions we have seen this series have been semi-off screen. Like we see the glow but not the actual transforming part. Here for example, Bramblin glows, the screen cuts to Liko and Roy reacting, and when it shows back they are Brambleghast now as the glow fades.
I'm guessing because both cases were more minor pokemon (Bramblin and Murdocks alcremie) and wont remain the case for like, Liko or Roys pokemon but who knows.

The Rising Volt Tacklers go broke - the episode!

The harsh reality of the world hits the RVTs and they all have to get jobs to keep their airship afloat. Dot is already raking in that streamer money, though. Liko getting an assignment was also a nice additional premise to highlight the relationship between Friede and Cap (and we get to see Anne again). Friede reminds me a lot of Gojo from Jujutsu Kaisen. They both are ridiculously overpowered, have mostly charming overconfidence that borderlines on arrogance because of that power, and are mentors to students who look up to them.

I'm glad Liko and Roy actually got to battle in this episode and that it wasn't just Friede (even though it is an episode about him). They need to do more battling and it looks like we'll get at least a little more of that next episode as well. Cap being allergic to being called cute is definitely in-character for him, considering how cool he acts.

I didn't think I would ever consider Bramblin or Brambleghast cute, but here we are. It had a really cute voice. I also thought the reveal of the girl who was obsessed with cute Pokemon to use an Avalugg as her partner was funny. I also thought the hunters used a pretty unique combination of Pokemon. Definitely wasn't expecting Toxtricity or especially Omastar, I feel like fossil Pokemon only ever really belong to scientists or high-importance trainers like Gym Leaders and Champions in the anime. By the end of the episode, I was sort of hoping the Brambleghast would join Friede, even though I knew it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense given that they were trying to return it to its owner, but I thought they had a good thing going.

Last edited:
Here we've got absolutely no indication that Cap is anything special when compared to your average Pikachu, but we're still meant to take his ridiculous strength at face value and the only loss he's gotten was when he fought against a literal god.
The entire premise of HZ017 revolved around Friede being asked to investigate an unusual wild Pikachu who was obsessed with trying to fly using Volt Tackle. And this Pikachu was what reignited Friede's passion in investigating the mysteries of the world.

Yes, Cap may be unrealistically powerful at this point in the story, but I wouldn't say that there's "absolutely no indication that Cap is anything special".

The entire premise of HZ017 revolved around Friede being asked to investigate an unusual wild Pikachu who was obsessed with trying to fly using Volt Tackle. And this Pikachu was what reignited Friede's passion in investigating the mysteries of the world.

Yes, Cap may be unrealistically powerful at this point in the story, but I wouldn't say that there's "absolutely no indication that Cap is anything special".
I’d say that that’s less that Cap is anything special as far as Pikachu go and more that it had more aspirations compared the average Pikachu.

Wanting to learn to fly isn't the same as being super strong, though. I mean, I'll admit that I'm probably being a bit too harsh on Cap, but I historically have not been a fan of one single Pokemon getting excessive glory at the expense of all the others, and Cap so far has been doing nothing but that this whole time.

Quite engaging even though I’m confined to not watching these episodes. Captain Pikachu sneezing when he hears cute is the funny, Bramblin desert episode is ideal and most importantly……OMASTAR IS HERE! Love it when ma boy gets the spotlight! 8/10 for this!
IMG_0269.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom