• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ041: Enter the Intense Mom!

I've been enjoying Horizons a lot.... but I'm not mincing my words when I say that honestly with these episodes I think Dot has surprisingly surpassed Liko and Roy as my favourite of the mains especially for the incredible amount of development she's been getting with these episodes.

This is another great one to add to the list and Quaxly even learns a new move as well. Not bad for someone who mostly stays in one room acting as a popular streamer.

It's always fun to watch Dot be in the action. Quaxly was great and the friendship with Tinkatink is adorable. Fun episode overall.

We now know how Ludlow, Orla and Dot have been recruited, so I guess we'll see Murdock and Mollie (nurse joy drama resolve?) soon.

I've been enjoying Horizons a lot.... but I'm not mincing my words when I say that honestly with these episodes I think Dot has surprisingly surpassed Liko and Roy as my favourite of the mains especially for the incredible amount of development she's been getting with these episodes.

This is another great one to add to the list and Quaxly even learns a new move as well. Not bad for someone who mostly stays in one room acting as a popular streamer.
Dot has definitely been getting so much better quality development compared to Liko and Roy. She’s really come into herself and shows some real skill with Pokémon. Hell, they even let her have an actual complete battle with her mother rather than these objective battles they do with Liko and Roy. It really is quality over quantity when it comes to Dot’s episodes.

What a great character development episode for Dot after a one week break. Especially against her mom when she come to visit with a little bit of flashback of how she joined with the crew. Which also earned a new move set of Low Kick and beat her mom, Lycanroc. Her Tinkatink needs to be babysit and control. Otherwise, she is going to turn every metal of the airship into hammer and that is no good.

Overall rating: B+

With Quaxly having learned Low Kick, it’s pretty interesting how each of the starters now have a move that leans into their evolutionary theme. We’ve got Disarming Voice for the singer, Magical Leaf for the magician and Low Kick for the capoeira dancer. Hopefully this points to that all 3 starters will fully evolve this time around.

Dang, that Lycanroc really lost to two low kicks from a quaxly huh?

Side note, I still cant figure out how the animators decide when to randomly throw Hattena in Liko's hood, starting to think it really is just "when they remember to"

Great episode. First things first, I must say that I think Dot has surpassed Roy as my favorite character of the show now. It's not just because she has two of my favorite Paldean Pokémon, but she's just such a joy to watch. Being able to watch some clips of the dub recently has certainly helped, because I love how she always sounds irritated. Anyway, this episode was really enjoyable. Tinkatink remains one of the most adorable Pokémon on the planet and I love her personality and interactions with Quaxly. Quaxly finally getting a real battle, winning it, and learning a new move were just a perfect combination. We even got to see the cutiepie Maushold again. I can't think of anything I particularly disliked about this episode or what I think could have been made better so......10/10 from me :bulbaLove:

With Quaxly having learned Low Kick, it’s pretty interesting how each of the starters now have a move that leans into their evolutionary theme. We’ve got Disarming Voice for the singer, Magical Leaf for the magician and Low Kick for the capoeira dancer. Hopefully this points to that all 3 starters will fully evolve this time around.
Unless, the writer troll at us for not making that to occur.

Great episode for Dot once again! Loved her backstory with Blanca and Murdock, Quaxly learning Low Kick unexpectedly, Lumiose City getting acknowledged and how this episode felt in comparison to 18
with Friede's backstory as well. Dot really is going to if not has become to be my favorite character in this series! Good on her! 9.5 out of 10.

More great development for Dot! Her character is really relatable and I'm hoping she will continue to stay in the spotlight as she (hopefully) spends more and more time outside of her room and with the gang. Quaxly really is the perfect partner for her, pushing her to open up more. Quaxly learning Low Kick was nice, and as mentioned previously, correlates to its final evolution. At the beginning of the series, I thought Quaxly would probably be the unevolved starter for the whole show, but with Dot's recent development and focus, it might not be so farfetched (or should I say... Farfetch'd) that it could evolve.

Blanca being a very outspoken and boisterous character in comparison to Dot being very anxious and withdrawn was interesting. I really didn't expect Dot to win their battle (Blanca must not be training her Lycanroc all that well if it can get one-shot by an unevolved Quaxly using Low Kick for the first time, lol).

OK, Friede? A word of advice: please don’t show up at a young girl’s house completely unannounced like that.

That’s how you get put on a list.

Blanca being a very outspoken and boisterous character in comparison to Dot being very anxious and withdrawn was interesting. I really didn't expect Dot to win their battle (Blanca must not be training her Lycanroc all that well if it can get one-shot by an unevolved Quaxly using Low Kick for the first time, lol).

Two-shot.

Also, it had to have taken damage from Pound in order to use Counter. Chip damage is still damage after all.

OK, Friede? A word of advice: please don’t show up at a young girl’s house completely unannounced like that.

Two-shot.

Also, it had to have taken damage from Pound in order to use Counter. Chip damage is still damage after all.

True, I didn’t account for the two Counters.

Also I don’t know how I totally forgot to mention Friede just showing up at Dot’s house. Was Blanca even home? I feel like she would have been there if she was. Nah, Friede was just chilling in the living room, by himself, for who knows how long, just waiting for Dot to come out so she could fix his phone.

Super glad I was not the only one uncomfortable with that; especially with Friede taking the opportunity to ask Dot to come with him. They couldn't have added Murdock or Blanca in that scene? Or even clarified they were in the house, yet in another room? I know there was absolutely no negative intent whatsoever, but they could have constructed a more tasteful way for that interaction to occur in my opinion.

That aside, I liked this episode (Does anyone else's mother occasionally barrage your phone with texts or calls if you don't answer? Just Dot & I? Okay...). We finally have a full on-screen battle (that has no interruptions, special conditions, 2 on 1s, etc.) with a decisive victor from one of the kids - Quaxly and Lycanroc looked fantastic. Quaxly learning Low Kick was a surreal moment for me as it brought back memories of me teaching mine that early into my Violet playthrough. Hopefully this means we see Dot out and about more often too.

Honestly I haven’t watched it yet but when Dot is in the spotlight it really makes me shine. If all the Rising Volt Tacklers were colourful birds, Dot is the grey one who doesn’t fit in. Meeting a tiny bit more of Dot’s family was LONG overdue, and I like how these past couple eps have Dot in them. Overall a 7/10!
IMG_0266.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We finally have a full on-screen battle (that has no interruptions, special conditions, 2 on 1s, etc.) with a decisive victor from one of the kids - Quaxly and Lycanroc looked fantastic.
About time! Now they just need to do this a lot more often, hopefully with Liko or Roy next time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom