• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ045: To a Place Far, Far Away

An action-packed finale to the second arc of Horizons and the ending to the first season in the dub.

Friede and Amethio working together with their Terastalized partners was awesome. I am still hoping that Amethio will eventually end up joining the RVTs someday once he is free of Gibeon and the Explorers, though I can also him going off to do his own thing with Zirc and Onia.

Dot confidently declares that she is no longer satisfied watching from the sidelines and wants to learn more about the world that Liko & Roy are looking for. Hopefully, this is her graduation from supporting character to main character.

Sprigatito evolving into Floragato is not a surprise, but it is still hype to see it happen. The first Grass-type starter to evolve since Diamond & Pearl. I hope this is a sign to come that Fuecoco and Quaxly will be following suit and evolving as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more yo-yo action. It looks like Floragato might be a bit more physically affectionate than Sprigatito was.

Fuecoco learns Flame Charge, another new move to add to his arsenal. Even Friede was saying that Fuecoco has learned a lot of new moves. Like I said earlier, I hope you evolve soon little buddy.

Gibeon having a shiny Zygarde is totally unexpected. He also wants something called Rakurium. The fact that Gibeon is referencing Lucius directly and something about the "adventure" not being over yet makes me believe that Gibeon might have some way of not aging and he is a lot older than he is and was a direct friend to Lucius back in the day.

Liko, Roy, and Dot decide that they want to learn how to use Terastal, leading us into the next arc.

Also they included Hatenna in the flashbacks but not Wattrel. Do the writers just hate him or something?

Friede and Amethio working together with their Terastalized partners was awesome. I am still hoping that Amethio will eventually end up joining the RVTs someday once he is free of Gibeon and the Explorers, though I can also him going off to do his own thing with Zirc and Onia.
I honestly feel like the most likely thing is all of the explorers sorta... disbanding and redeeming themselves by the end of the series, the way they interact with Gibeon always feels a little brainwashy... And they don't even feel TOO evil, just following what Gibeon wants them to do.
Maybe other than Spinel, Spinel is probably just actually genuinely an evil dude. Edit: Gibeon falls in this category too, obviously.
Amethio could easily happen earlier in the series though.

I honestly feel like the most likely thing is all of the explorers sorta... disbanding and redeeming themselves by the end of the series, the way they interact with Gibeon always feels a little brainwashy... And they don't even feel TOO evil, just following what Gibeon wants them to do.
Maybe other than Spinel, Spinel is probably just actually genuinely an evil dude. Edit: Gibeon falls in this category too, obviously.
Amethio could easily happen earlier in the series though.

I don't remember exactly who said it, but I remember someone saying that the admins only exist to fulfill Gibeon's wishes. I wonder if or when we get the backstory behind them joining the Explorers. When did they join and who were they before joining? Considering it seems like they don't even know what Gibeon looks like, why do they follow his orders so dutifully?

Screenshot 2024-03-30 141931.png
Gotta love the hairstyle of messy Quaxly. It never get old.

I'm not totally on board with Gibeon having a Zygarde, of all things. Ever since Sun and Moon, it feels like the writers have been way too willing to give random characters Legendary/Mythical Pokemon for seemingly no reason.

I love the exchange Orla and Mollie have about shopping. It’s small moments of characterizations like that make me appreciate the RVTs. I hope all the crew will still make appearances in the next arc while the Brave Olivine is being repaired.

I'm not totally on board with Gibeon having a Zygarde, of all things. Ever since Sun and Moon, it feels like the writers have been way too willing to give random characters Legendary/Mythical Pokemon for seemingly no reason.
I mean... lucius had a Rayquaza, galarian moltres, terapagos, and Entei (which may actually be a paradox instead). Gibeon having a legendary also is fair game.

Last edited:
The last few minutes with Gibeon and the reveal of Zygarde were the best part of the episode in my opinion. However, I do wonder why the Explorers didn’t attempt to catch Rayquaza with more advanced machinery, rather than trying to catch it with a pokeball. Furthermore, if Gibeon knows how strong Rayquaza is, maybe he could lend a hand sending his Zygarde into battle. I wonder why he doesn’t get involved directly.

I think the Explorer's technology is only advanced when it comes to their super fancy AR zoom room, or when Coral needs a disguise (so basically plot convenient)

It's interesting that Gibeon seems old and in a bed and looks like he knows Lucius personally.

It's interesting that Gibeon seems old and in a bed and looks like he knows Lucius personally.

Yes, I definitely think those two know each other. Diana said the explorers used to be Lucius friends. So something must have happened between them. If Gibeon it’s alive then there’s the possibility that Lucius is alive somewhere as well. I also think that Lucius might have stopped Gibeon from obtaining “The Rakulium” in the past.

Plus its a rayquaza, it can probably break free of any wacky technology they could throw at it. (Granted it can ALSO break free of a pokeball but, idk that seems like uncommon knowledge in the pokemon world)

Plus its a rayquaza, it can probably break free of any wacky technology they could throw at it. (Granted it can ALSO break free of a pokeball but, idk that seems like uncommon knowledge in the pokemon world)
It may be able to, but some legendary pokemon have been subdued in the past by machines and since the Explorers aren’t there to be nice or play by the rules I was expecting them to be a bit more ruthless. If they wait until all the hero pokemon are together it may be more difficult to try and snatch anyone at all.

It may be able to, but some legendary pokemon have been subdued in the past by machines and since the Explorers aren’t there to be nice or play by the rules I was expecting them to be a bit more ruthless. If they wait until all the hero pokemon are together it may be more difficult to try and snatch anyone at all.
I'm assuming the idea is to like... snatch all the Hero pokemon while the are in their Ancient Pokeballs. Let the RVT do the work of actually getting them back INTO the pokeballs. IDK about Terapagos though.

I'm assuming the idea is to like... snatch all the Hero pokemon while the are in their Ancient Pokeballs. Let the RVT do the work of actually getting them back INTO the pokeballs. IDK about Terapagos though.
Could be… but the hero pokemon are known to get out of their pokeballs at will if they sense trouble, so they better have a plan to prevent that.

Really great conclusion to the Terapagos Shine arc. I like that Dot, Roy, and Liko were able to hold their own against Rayquaza and actually land some hits despite the clear disadvantage they were in. It's nice that Rayquaza respected them enough to take them seriously for a minute. I was happy to see Fuecoco get another new move, Flame Charge will be good for him to improve his speed since he's struggled with that. I'm glad that Sprigatito evovled, as Floragato is easily my favorite of the Sprigatito line. And Quaxly was the best as always. Sad that he got knocked out in the battle. But I'm excited to see how this is leading into the Terastal Debut arc, and I'm excited to see the training the kids get.

8.5/10 episode.

The Explorers retreat then Ametheo shows up saving Liko from one of Rayquaza's attacks (Not exactly a villainous action there). Fuecoco learns Flame Charge and Sprigatitio evolves but the RVT plus Ametheo still aren't strong enough to beat a legendary Pokémon. Liko, Roy, and Dot realize they need to get stronger and Fride recommends Terestal training (even though all you have to do is throw a Tera Orb at your Pokémon, What they really need is level grinding). Gibeon decides to let the RVT collect the Six Heros and then have the Explorers steal Terapagos (at the point when that is going to be the most difficult) and it is revealed that he has a shiny 10% Zygarde (PLZA promotion)

(even though all you have to do is throw a Tera Orb at your Pokémon, What they really need is level grinding).
I mean, even in the games Nemona says theres a whole class for it you normally have to sign up for. I assume it's no different from Pokemon Battle training. it's not "Teach you how to do it" its "Teach you how to make good use of it"

First Journeys now Horizons, seems like the Number 45 means an evo episode lol. Honestly I'm glad they decided to evolve Sprigatito, although it makes me think that they don't want Liko to stay around for a very long time. I still like the change though, since now we have stronger cat. Also Dot Liko and Roy can actually hold their own against the Black Ray? Sign me up. Also I think the writers hate Wattrel lol.

The ending is the absolute best part of the episode. Not only do we finally get a glimpse of Gibeon, but he also has A FUCKING SHINY ZYGARDE? Sign me up. I don't have a problem with Gibeon's concealment and I also don't have a problem with the Zygarde - it's like how Giovanni was portrayed when he first debuted, and even with a Legendary to boot. Also can we just talk about the power he has with it? As someone on TV Tropes pointed out, this means that Gibeon has a Zygarde Core under his control (since only the cores can create the 10% form)... which are also capable of making the 50% form (as Squishy demonstrated back in XY). And the last time someone with a Zygarde caused destruction, um...

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22-29-10 1712067945599.webp (WEBP Image 1280 × 738 pixels).png

... maybe there's a reason why the rest of the Explorers are scared of him.
Banger episode anyways, 9/10.

Back
Top Bottom