• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I dislike the new(er) shiny encounter rates.

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score
I much preferred things when shiny pokemon were ACTUALLY hard to come by. Of course people still hacked them in, but it wasn't super common.
Nowadays it feels like they're a dime a dozen.

Of course, that's just my opinion. What do you think?

I'm personally strongly against something being locked behind luck in games. I know Pokemon's always going to have some elements of chance in it-even if IVs and Natures get more ways to manipulate them, there's still encounter rates and effect chances-but restricting an alternate coloration based purely on whether or not you get lucky with a number just seems boring to me. If people want to enjoy the alternate coloration, why not let them?

I like being able to get shinies more easily, but that's mostly because I desperately crave variety in creature designs. It's too bad unique elements on pokemon was wasted on Spinda. I'm pretty sure each pokemon having 3 of 4 different elements that could be randomized and mix-and-matched would still be a lower number than the RNG pasted spots on Spinda. I like Spinda and all but... dang what a wasted opportunity.

I like being able to get shinies easier... I mean when I first played Pokemon Gold I was lucky enough that one of my first catches was a shiny... a Shiny Dunsparce to be precise, but I didn't get another one in the game until the Red Gyarados. And I like shinies.

I much preferred things when shiny pokemon were ACTUALLY hard to come by. Of course people still hacked them in, but it wasn't super common.
Nowadays it feels like they're a dime a dozen.

Of course, that's just my opinion. What do you think?
Who says it wasn't super common? Pokémon Encyclopedia, Gameshark, Action Replay and Pokésav were pretty common then.

I also prefer the newer system, since I always found 1 in 8192 to be an extremely low chance.

I think there are two factors to this:

1 - Actual techniques to improve the chance of encountering a shiny (Poke Radar, etc.). Even just soft-resetting an encounter to hope it rolls shiny is still a technique!
2 - Global trading means it's easier to find people who have (or who acquired) a shiny

Man, I remember when my friend was resetting for a legendary to be shiny. He was at it for weeks. He also shiny grinded for weeks to get me a shiny hoppip for my birthday. He found a random shiny psyduck before he got my Hoppip xD

Then one day he wanted to do a nuzlocke and a while after he'd started he was like "...I forgot I had a shiny."

Gamefreak saw that shinies were becoming more popular than ever, so in order to prevent people from using illegal means they had to increase the chances, and also make the feature even more popular. Their inclusion in Go and Let's Go suggest that they're not going anywhere.

The improved chances have worked iffy for me. I haven't found any shiny in neither AS or XY, but I found a shiny Poliwag in Sun that evolved into a beautiful Politoed.

I like the improved odds a lot more too. The chances always seemed way too low. I know someone who has played every generation of Pokemon multiple times, and has only ever found one shiny with the original odds. They've been playing for years and have had very little luck. The chances, while still very slim, seem a lot more friendly in the newer games. Yes, they are still incredibly rare, but there is also that possibility. It just no longer feels as daunting.

And heck, it still is all just chance. I have gone over 1000 eggs using Masuda Method for a Shiny Popplio (so we're talking 1/512 for chances of a shiny). I have basically gone double the odds, and have not seen a shiny Popplio. Then, I Masuda Method for a Shinx and get it in 72 eggs. It's still all just chance. It's still all luck. So no matter if the odds are higher, it can't guarantee you a shiny quicker than if you were playing on the original odds. Yes, there is a higher probability, but you still can't guarantee.

^This, pretty much. I like that it's gone from "I have only heard of shiny pokemon through legends on the internet" to "If I spend some time doing the same thing over and over I have at least SOME chance of getting more than one in my lifetime!"

And there's still the random chance shinies when you don't expect them. Like in Alpha Sapphire the first Jigglypuff I ever came across in the game happened to be shiny and I lost my mind.

I agree. It's not as satisfying when I find a shiny in the newer gens.

^This, pretty much. I like that it's gone from "I have only heard of shiny pokemon through legends on the internet because I caught the shiny Gyarados at the Lake of Rage" to "If I spend some time doing the same thing over and over I have at least SOME chance of getting more than one in my lifetime!"

And there's still the random chance shinies when you don't expect them. Like in Alpha Sapphire the first Jigglypuff I ever came across in the game happened to be shiny and I lost my mind.

Fixed your post slightly, mostly because that shiny Gyarados is the only shiny Pokémon most people are going to get naturally. And even then, there's also the people that could miss shiny Pokémon because some shinies look only slightly darker/lighter than the normal Pokémon.

I quite like the methods of manipulating one's odds (i.e chaining in LG or Masuda breeding method) as it increases equal opportunity and requires effort which adds stimulation and interest vs. when shiny spawns were entirely dependent on a chance random encounter.
The random chance rates DO still exist. In AS, I did a handful of shiny hunts, still working on an Anticipation Eevee Masuda but also encountered a shiny Tentacool and Roselia WITHOUT trying.

I actually like the newer methods, as it increases the chances of me actually getting something of interest. After all, the only shiny that is a virtual guarantee for me is Zubat. Seriously, I've caught at least one shiny Zubat in at least one game in every generation since introduction. I have enough to fill half a bank box at this point. And, besides, unlike most, 85% of the time I don't actively hunt for shinies, so whenever I actually get one, it still feels special. I only try to hunt them down when the method is easy and/or it's one I want, but even then I just prefer to let it happen on its own. They only feel cheap when they're outright handed to you, usually via events, especially if they're not legends (which tend to be shiny locked in certain cases). To be honest, however, Gen VII's methods are much more frustrating than Gens V and VI, especially since it reworks things like Masuda Method (and the less said about SOS battles, the better), which makes finding shinies even harder, even IF you have all the elements needed in play.

So, I have to disagree, as the newer methods are fine (except Gen VII), and there is still a chance factor in play. Things like the Shiny Charm and Masuda Method just make things a tad easier to manipulate it into your favor. But, regardless, there is still a chance factor involved, so it's still a rarity overall. So, I'm fine with most of the newer methods, as the original chances were just plain dismal and unfair.

At first I disliked the new method but I used consecutive fishing to get some but in the end I still praise more my lucky encounters in which I have an actual history than just grinding for the new ones. So, in the end, I dislike the new democratic approach and to just held player's hand in getting a shiny.

I love the new encounter rates, as it makes things a bit easier. However, it's still based on luck and if the RNG doesn't like you... :oops:

(Case in point: I'm still breeding for a shiny Chimchar and shiny Litten on Moon and Ultra Sun. Still no luck on either one. However, I ran into a random shiny Araquanid in Malie Garden. Did I catch him? Oh yeah, you better believe it.)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom