• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I don't get the Masuda Method. (semi-rant)

King Robert

Son of Two Deities
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post the topic, but if it isn't, then can someone move this to the right board, please?

Anyway, I don't get how people have the patience to put eggs made from a Japanese Pokémon and their own country Pokémon from the daycare, then biking back and forth until their entire group hatches only to find normal-colored offspring.

I've heard people going through over 1,000 eggs until they got the shiny they wanted, but honestly? I gave up after 20. My finger's gotten tired of pressing left and right on my 3DS's D-Pad over and over every ten seconds, and the route music started to drone in my ears. I almost dropped my 3DS due to my about-to-fall-asleep from going back and forth...how do you people put up with not getting the resulting shiny you want?

I would say more, but I should, for the sake of appropriateness, stop right here before I got even more frustrated. I'll just wrap this up by saying that catching legendaries in my Nuzlocke runs are the real trophies, for me anyway. I think 3 captured shinies from the past 7 years is enough for me.

I think it would've been more approriate if you posted this as a blog post. On topic, I've not done any Masuda breeding myself, but maybe you could've searched for some tips beforehand from those who do it/who's been doing it for a long time. But as I imagine it, doing this method would be really tedious. However, apparently there are people who are willing to spend time to get shiny Pokemon using this process.

I've started my first MM breeding week ago. I have shiny Honedge and 510 newly hatched Honedge in my PC... Also, I has Oval and Shiny Charm which help to increase egg appearing and reduce odds of shiny occuring respectively.

Well, it was pretty bored but I was multi-tasking so I just do other stuff like watching Youtube while playing 3DS. Also, if you want to hatch first, then fly to Lumoise City (Prism Tower) and hold left or right to cycle round Prism Tower. Egg will hatch and replace it with another egg from Day Care. It's better having Pokémon with Flame Body or Magma Armour.

Also, forgot to mention... Shiny Pokémon is more common in XY than previous generations... I have 4 shiny Pokémon from pre-Gen 6 but I have 8 from my Y. 5 shiny Pokémon I caught before I have Shiny Charm. 2 were from Friend Safari, other 2 were from horde battles and other one was random encounter.

Last edited:
When I do breeding in XY I focus on the stats, not shininess. A few shinies here and there are OK for bragging rights, but you shouldn't overdo it, e.g. a team full of six shinies tends to start smelling like hax even when they were bred legitimately.

Of course, when I do do breeding runs I try to have a foreign parent just for the extra shiny chance, but ... so far I've only hatched one shiny ever. A Treecko with average stats, no great egg moves -- but female! I am not trading her off for anything.

I'm using the Masuda Method with my Shiny Charm and so far, I have hatched 3 shiny Pokemon :) If you carry a Pokemon in your party who has the ability Flame Body, the eggs with hatch in half their usual time. It can get boring but I make up fan fiction in my head while I'm cycling back and forth :)

I think it would've been more approriate if you posted this as a blog post. On topic, I've not done any Masuda breeding myself, but maybe you could've searched for some tips beforehand from those who do it/who's been doing it for a long time. But as I imagine it, doing this method would be really tedious. However, apparently there are people who are willing to spend time to get shiny Pokemon using this process.

Who would read my blog?

I'm using the Masuda Method with my Shiny Charm and so far, I have hatched 3 shiny Pokemon :) If you carry a Pokemon in your party who has the ability Flame Body, the eggs with hatch in half their usual time. It can get boring but I make up fan fiction in my head while I'm cycling back and forth :)

Too bad I'm never going to get that charm, as I need to fill out the entire National Dex. :'(

I used the masuda method to get a shiny larvitar back in soul silver, it took about 4 or 5 boxes worth of eggs, still have a ton of larvitar's spread across my gen 4 and 5 games actually. I usually just hatched while watching tv or a movie. The daycare routes are usually easy to hatch in without really needing to look at the screen that often. These days I really just breed for perfect IV's and natures and pretty much do the same thing. Think I hatched more eggs for my 6IV snorlax than I did for my shiny larvitar actually.

It is easier to fill the National Dex in X and Y. You can trade with the GTS and Wonder Trade to get rare Pokemon. I thought it would be impossible but then I found out, you don't need the Event Legendaries to complete it. My Pokedex is at 711 (cos I don't have some Pokemon, Darkrai, Mew ect) and Prof Sycamore said it's complete and gave me the Shiny Charm.

It's an obsession thing.
If you're obsessed, you'll do it.

I think it's fun to try and hatch shinnies.
The more difficult to obtain something is, the more people will want it and the more time and effort they are willing to spend in trying to obtain it.
It's just another thing that prolongs the game's viability.

I intend to try and hatch a shiny Trubbish.

edit:

omg, poggey names link automatically, what is this madness! XD

I tried to do one for a shiny Fennekin, after 3 boxes of them I gave up and then found two shiny Charmeleons so just traded one for a shiny Delphox.

I'm not sure if I'll ever try and get a competitive shiny Pokemon because it is very hard to get its EVs and nature right. But weirdly enough I usually prefer the normal coloured Pokemon to its shiny. Some shinies are very good though like Metagross (I want a competitive one of these... damn it)

You really have to be dedicated to do it, but like most people have said, it's best to do it when also doing something else like watching TV or Livestreams or what have you. It's usually a tedious process, but it's always possible to get it in only a few eggs, though you have to be prepared for the worst. Not to mention how hard it is to MM for a shiny with good IVs, let alone the ones you need (if you battle competitively). It took me a week of almost non-stop breeding to get my shiny Bagon with the stats I needed, granted it was the first shiny I got in the whole process. Better yet, I went through 3 shiny Magikarp before getting the one with the right IVs. However, when you do finally get that shiny you've been waiting for, its such a relieving feeling. Plus the bragging rights are always nice.

I will say this: At least in my experience, after doing so much MM-ing you realize it isn't worth the effort when non-shiny pokemon are just as good, especially in competitive battling. Of course, that doesn't mean they still aren't cool to have.

You gotta really want it to do the Masuda Method, but it's usually better than taking your chances at that god-forsaken GTS.

I used the Masuda Method to get three shinies.

One a shiny Carvanha in Y version. It didn't take too long, after four or five boxes full of regular Carvanha, I got the shiny. The bad part? It didn't have Speed Boost.

Another was a shiny Phione in Black2. I got extremely lucky since I got it before hatching thirty eggs.

The most memorable was a shiny Cranidos. It took over 1000 eggs, and two generations to get that guy. I had a Cranidos couple in Black2 and I started breeding from then. When XY came out, I transferred the couple over to Y version and continued the breeding. It took literally months.

I'm trying to get a shiny Beldum by MM, but no shiny yet...and Beldum take a really long time to hatch... aurgh.

You just have to have patience. I usually use the MM when doing other stuff so I don't get bored too easily. I also have the Internet on and accept occasional battle requests whenever I feel like it.

It depends a lot on luck. It doesnt always take over 1,000 eggs but it can. The good thing I see about Masuda Method is:
1. With an Everstone, you can control the nature of the shiny
2. Egg moves
3.Its easier to get good IVs(if you want that)

Ive only hatched one shiny this way and it was almost 800 eggs, but I'd still like to try again.

Oh, and I don't understand IVs, btw. I just raise my team with love and care.

My Pokedex is at 711 (cos I don't have some Pokemon, Darkrai, Mew ect) and Prof Sycamore said it's complete and gave me the Shiny Charm.
They seriously need to do something about the National Pokedex -- how you can get the award for completeness when it is OBVIOUSLY still missing numbers is just ... wrong. I respect the reasoning (since not everyone can get events), but it's still just wrong.

I started Masuda breeding in Y and have gotten a Shiny Swirlix in an evening, and Shiny Dedenne and Shiny Skiddo, both took quite a while (a few weeks, not playing every day), and I'm currently breeding for a Shiny Oddish, which has also taken a few weeks.

So, I mean, like they say, you have to really want to do it, especially if you get bored so easily. I don't mind it. If you're getting bored with the music enough to stop, just turn it down or listen to something else. And if simply going left and right on the D-Pad is actually too much, well...not much I can tell you. Other games make you do much more than that.

My Pokedex is at 711 (cos I don't have some Pokemon, Darkrai, Mew ect) and Prof Sycamore said it's complete and gave me the Shiny Charm.
They seriously need to do something about the National Pokedex -- how you can get the award for completeness when it is OBVIOUSLY still missing numbers is just ... wrong. I respect the reasoning (since not everyone can get events), but it's still just wrong.
Rename it Semi-National Dex?

I dunno. I doubt it will ever change (it's grandfathered in pretty strongly), but I think event Pokemon should have been given a separate numbering scheme from the rest of the National Dex. E.g. #151 should have been Chikorita, not Mew.

You gotta really want it to do the Masuda Method, but it's usually better than taking your chances at that god-forsaken GTS.
This.

If it's a Pokemon you don't really care about or don't really want, do not even attempt a Masuda run. All you'll get is a lot of frustration. You have to want it and want it bad to do one.

That said, it took me four months and 2,800 eggs to get my shiny Golett. I had to break it up so I wouldn't get bored or lose interest: one day I'd hatch 20 eggs, the next it might only be ten. If I did it at home, I'd make sure to only hatch for about an hour, then do something else with the game. If all you're doing is sitting and hatching eggs for two or more hours straight, you will lose your taste for this fast. Break it up: hit the Battle Maison or a Friend Safari after an hour or so.

With that in mind, I'm gearing up for a MM for a shiny Tyrunt. I'm trying for a Naughty male with Poison Fang and I already have a Japanese female Tyrantrum in Daycare with a Seviper. I've got a name picked and everything: Grimlock. Why? Because when he hatches, him will be KING! (And who didn't see that one coming from a mile away?)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom