• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I Hate the Lighting

Blob

Reaction score
Pawmi blends into the background in the latest trailer and a lot of Pokémon are just harder make out than other games. Literally any green Pokémon is going to be hard to spot in grassy fields, because they changed the lighting system for some reason. This game honestly looks like it could do with outlines on Pokémon. The only part that DIDN'T look badly lit was when we saw the box legendaries and that was only because that footage won't even be used in the game.

y8DuD01.png
dlYEb51.png

I've also noticed the game seems to have a lot of low res textures and a floating Quaxly.
0NxmvdM.png
Low Res 1.png
Low Res 2.png

The game doesn't look good with a 20x zoom, literally unplayable.
The game looks like it's 720p instead of 1080. The only part that looks good are the details on the trainers.

The lighting and shaders are usually some of the last things to be fixed.

I mean look at the early trailers for Legends and the blue Ryhorn or the horrible lighting for the early BDSP trailers that wasn't fixed until like the third trailer.

Yeah the lighting feels kind of bleh to me. ANd the pokemon really could use a thin outline in order for them to stand out better if its gonna continue looking like this. More shadows would help a lot to define the different shapes. Maybe. I might like arts but I am not a professional.

Also resolution, fps, I don't get a puck. Do I have fun with it, and will I spend at least an hour for every dollar I spent on it having that fun? That's what matters to me.

Also I am the person who giggles at errors like floating rocks and characters, spots where you can see into the void because someone didn't cover it up with a rock or something, and other things like that. Don't make a bad game. I found the void in the desert town in Dragon Quest XI and I know y'all aint gonna try and convince me that game is not freaking beautiful. As long as the floating isn't like every object I'll be fine. Like I find a random floating bush somewhere and basically it is the holy bush and is too good for this sinful earth so it floats in place.

Also on at least two occasions I found Breath of the Wild NPCs glitching into the ground in weird ways. Character models warping and twisting in Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning... I'm sure I've found issues in the Witcher 3 as well but I haven't played it enough to remember any of them well. Probably floating bushes.

And I still love every moment of those games. My brother and I are weird and love bugs like this. His favorite is that Assassin's Creed one with the boat. The Ascension of the Jackdaw. It's freaking beautiful. Art.

They'll probably fix the lighting like they did with BDSP. And they don't need outlines because the game uses more realistic textures, and outlines would look weird on that.

They'll probably fix the lighting like they did with BDSP. And they don't need outlines because the game uses more realistic textures, and outlines would look weird on that.
I feel like the outlines have always just been an artistic choice. Do they ever NEED them? No. Look at SM. Those had the outlines, but every modded/rom version of the game I've seen removed them because it looks crappy on the tiny 3ds screen. Which makes it funny that some people actually want the lines back now.

I know this means nothing given the game is not going to change much, but I personally would think it nice to omit the lines when the Pokemon are out in the wild, to help with their camouflage and not stick out of the world, but then have Pokemon in battle take on the lines as a way to define what you're seeing and where. Of course, that might be weird, having two styles like that, but that would be my choice if I could (again, not that it'll happen).

The Pokemon blending with the background is likely a deliberate decision, based on the games' philosophy of exploration and coexistence between Pokemon, people and their world.

However I agree that everything looks too bright, instead of feeling like a fun summer day it feels like one of those days when the sun is scorching where you are. Nightime and caves don't look much better. SWSH felt more balanced.

I hate the human skin textures no matter what the complexion the character has something off. They look like they are from a cheap spinoff game or a shovel ware game based on a reality show or something.

Last edited:
Remember: gameplay footage is not final. I mean, the same thing happened with the gen 4 remakes.
Sure...but they released trailers of the game and we are within our right to criticise what has been shown to us so far. Game Freak aren't owed our dollar, they have to impress us to convince us to buy their very expensive video games.

TL;DR - I really don't care for the "fix it in post" mentality, whether it comes to movie trailers or video game ones.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom