• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I have discovered what year Ash was born in + what year the XY series was in! PROOF!

Jake2FS

Reaction score
EDIT: Hmm, I see that other people have different hypothesizes of his birth year.

Using some simple math, I have found the year in which Ash was born in! I don't know if this has been discovered, but I looked around and haven't seen much.

In the pokemon episode 72 of the X/Y series, there is a small date on the back of the photo of the old man. The date is 7/14/1758. They say that the date says 200 years ago! That means the current date of their journey is in 1958! Since Ash is 10 years old, just subtract 10 from that date. That's 1948!

RECAP:
They have some superior technology for people in 1958!
Ash was born in 1948!

Compare that to our time and Ash is pretty old!

Thanks for taking your time to read my thread.. spread the word about Jake's discovery!

Re: I have discovered what year Ash was born in + what year the XY series was in! PRO

I honestly wouldn't put too much stock into that date. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a random year for that photo. The exact year Ash was born doesn't really matter either when he's going to be ten regardless. Besides that, I thought that Ash said that the photo was from over two hundred years ago, not exactly two hundred years ago.

Re: I have discovered what year Ash was born in + what year the XY series was in! PRO

I honestly wouldn't put too much stock into that date. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a random year for that photo. The exact year Ash was born doesn't really matter either when he's going to be ten regardless. Besides that, I thought that Ash said that the photo was from over two hundred years ago, not exactly two hundred years ago.

lol i agree im probably just overthinking this

i see some people say that it was 1960's or something as well

My hypothesis for the date is that since Ash said over 200 years; if it's 2000 or later, I can guess Ash would've said nearly 250 years (200 years after the 1750s is the 1950s, I can guess you can get away with saying over 200 years if it's the 1990s but not the 2000s since that's around 250 years after the 1750s). This would put a time frame of 1958 to 1999.

wpid-its-a-conspiracy.jpeg

Though let's be honest, if it really IS in the fifties, the Pokemon universe has gotta be up there with Fallout in terms of technological advancement.

I would say around the late 80's early 90's, meaning ash was born in the 70's or 80's.

Is this the point where we play the theme from The X-Files and make up Illuminati triangles?

EDIT: Although, that was the original air date of XY027 so...?

That means the current date of their journey is in 1958!
Sure, if you ignore more direct evidence from XY027:
9vt6AHX.jpg

THIS.

The 200 years that mentioned earlier IIRC Ash was saying more than it.

They have some superior technology for people in 1958!

Though let's be honest, if it really IS in the fifties, the Pokemon universe has gotta be up there with Fallout in terms of technological advancement.

Given that Pokemon takes place in an alternate world with its own unique culture/history, I'm amazed that you guys are assuming that it would even use the same calendar system as us, let alone that the technological development of our history should have any bearing upon theirs.

What supposes you to think that this "1958" could be considered the direct equivalent of our own 1958? I find it unlikely that they would be using any kind of Dionysian-derived system.

Last edited:

Take Ash's time estimate with a grain of salt - he already proved in movie 10 that he's not the quickest thinker in Maths, having to count fingers to figure out what 100 divided by ten is. Saying "over 200 years ago" is simply the number he's mostly sure of.

And yeah, XY027 pretty much confirms that the XY-series is in a contemporary timeverse. Or, that episode at least was.

Didn't Ash say 'over 200 years ago'?

Even if it wasn't in the fifties, this still proves they had cameras back in 1758, so there's that...

garrison-san said:
I'm amazed that you guys are assuming that it would even use the same calendar system as us

There's also the hinamatsuri episode from Kanto where they repeat the March 3rd date several times.

actually, in a past interview with the previous chief writer, Takeshi Shudo, Ash's birthday is 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days prior to the day he started his journey. Since the Pokemon anime started on april 1, 1997, it means that Ash's birthday is May 22, 1986.

(I actually got this from a pokemon trivia video. It seems pretty interesting)

garrison-san said:
I'm amazed that you guys are assuming that it would even use the same calendar system as us

There's also the hinamatsuri episode from Kanto where they repeat the March 3rd date several times.

What I mean is the assumption that the Pokemon world would be using a Dionysian calendar system - ie: AD/CE. Since Christianity doesn't appear to be a thing there. I'm guessing that the Greek gods aren't either, so the implication that they use a Julian/Gregorian calendar is frankly weird enough. On that note, I'd keep in mind that Kanto was also a little more grounded in real-world culture than were later eras of the anime.

Point is that a year like "1958" in the Pokemon world would be pretty meaningless in terms of drawing connections with our own timeline/culture, because we have no idea what kind of calendar era they're even in.

Last edited:

It's pretty much a given that the Pokémon world runs in parallel (somewhat) to modern-day real-world life. The use of certain real-world technologies in any given anime episode show off this point.

Then again, though, I once thought Pokémon took place in some far, far away world long long ago (similar to Star Wars taking place "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away").

garrison-san said:
Since Christianity doesn't appear to be a thing there.

You must be mis-remembering things because Christianity is very much a thing in the TV series. There are more than a handful of instances where characters making references to Kami-sama (which is different from the generic "kami" used to refer to, say, the legendary pokemon), the Devil, angels, heaven, hell, crosses, Christmas, the story of Noah's ark, etc. And not all of these are from Kanto either.

Wow, Jake's "Discovery" sure is great!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom