• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I have too many games in my backlog, so let's clean out the Switch's in 2021.

Reaction score
Former most prolific blogger here! Quit forever after the blogs died twice over and they were never restored as promised. Blogging again here, but this time in a different way!

I buy a lot of games, probably more than I should. Like most of my disposable income goes to games. I buy more than I play, really, and it's a bad habit. So this year I decided to change that a bit. I'm going to try to get through my backlog, focusing mainly on the Switch because with all my Steam stuff that'd just be impossible.

I'm going to try to get through all of it - things along the way included - by the end of 2021. I'm going to try to play at least a little every day. I'm going to at least play each game to completion, dunno about 100% in everything because way too many RPGs. This topic will be used to keep track of my progress.

==========

But first, to cover what progress has already been made.

COMPLETED
- Cadence of Hyrule
- Crash N. Sane Trilogy
- Fire Emblem Warriors: Complete on 3DS, wondering why I even bought it here
- Kirby Star Allies: All that's left is Soul Melter EX, but meh
- Megaman 11
- Pokemon Shield: 100%. Expect some around events anyway
- Sonic Mania Plus
- Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Freeform. Expect some as DLC releases anyway.

NOT COMPLETED, PHYSICAL
- Astral Chain: Well I beat the first mission
- Bayonetta 2:
- Catherine Full Body
- Commander Toad
- Disgaea 5 Complete: Barely started
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
- Dragon Quest XI
- Final Fantasy X/X-2
- Final Fantasy XII
- Fire Emblem Three Houses: Barely started. Was waiting for guides that never happened.
- L.A. Noire
- Luigi's Mansion 3: Expect some 1 and 2 as a bonus.
- Mario + Rabbids:
- New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
- Octopath Traveler
- Pokemon Let's Go Eevee: Mt. Moonish? Grinding is annoying.
- Rayman Legends
- Shining Resonance Refrain
- Splatoon 2
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Still need to be Mr. Gay. Which is weird because Odyssey was what I was looking forward to the most.
- Super Mario Maker: Freeform, but I'll play.
- Super Robot Wars T: Completed, but not the DLC
- Super Robot Wars V: Just got to the Universal Century world
- Super Robot Wars X
- Tales of Vesperia Definitive
- The World Ends With You Final Remix:
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions
- Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded: Completed the main story which is short, probably should play some more
- Valkyria Chronicles 4
- Wonderful 101 Remastered:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 1: Mechonis.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Just started enough to get the bonus items in Xenoblade 1
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Ys VIII
- Zelda, Breath of the Wild: Technically completed. I never fought any divine beasts and eventually rushed down Hyrule Castle. I'll play properly-ish.
- Zelda, Link's Awakening: It'll be the first game I start!

NOT COMPLETED, DIGITAL
- Bayonetta 1
- Blaster Master Zero 2
- Collection of SaGa
- Dragon Quest 1
- Dragon Quest 2
- Dragon Quest 3
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: This is in limbo due to MP wants?
- Fire Emblem 1
- Gunbolt Chronicles Luminous Avenger: Expect me to do 2 on the 3DS too
- Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix: I'll at least Normal all songs
- Okami HD
- Romancing SaGa 2
- Romancing SaGa 3
- SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions
- Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
- Touhou Devil of Decline: As below, minus the progress
- Touhou Genius of Sappheiros: Japanese game!! Halfway through the main game
- Untitled Goose Game: The first area
- Valkyria Chronicles: Some ways in.
- World of Final Fantasy Maxima

Lot of gaming to do this year. Time to make a dent in it.

Ok so heads up: RS2 pretty much requires you to start your game over with NG+ once you get to the final dungeon. It's possible to do things in one playthrough, but you have to use certain characters and do things in a VERY specific way.

I do warn you, Octopath Traveler is VERY grindy if you don't know what you are doing.
Noted! I'll try not to go in totally blind, then.

Ok so heads up: RS2 pretty much requires you to start your game over with NG+ once you get to the final dungeon. It's possible to do things in one playthrough, but you have to use certain characters and do things in a VERY specific way.
Well the game was originally released without NG+. i.e. you had to do it and could well softlock on Super Famicom. We'll see if it comes to that. Though in a SaGa game, you better come prepared with other knowledge, since the game won't ever explain it. :p

=====

JANUARY 1st:
Started up Link's Awakening Switch. Classic from my childhood, first Zelda game I beat...over the course of like months or even over a year. But not the first I played: that was Zelda 1, before my parents sold the NES. I was surprisingly good at that one, just not enough to finish. My brother got me this for my birthday some months back. Didn't buy it myself since, that price is just way too high.

Ripped through the first three dungeons, no issues along the way. Farmed up the shovel from the beginning. I had enough for the Bow after dungeon 3. Made it through the Color Dungeon and got red mail. Makes fighting bulky mooks more annoying, but it's bosses that matter. Or well, I suspected something and it was confirmed later through checking since I was curious: not only does it not stack with Piece of Power in this version, but it also doesn't stack as it should with the seashell sword. Might swap later because of that.

Given I'm an old hat and it's really not that big a game, I'm blazing through without incident - new content aside.

Progress so far is 4/8 dungeons, 23 seashells, 10 and 2/4ths hearts. Stopped for the day after returning the ghost to the grave.

Last edited:
I feel that it was smart to not have the piece of power, the Seashell Sword, and the Red mail stack since most enemies die in one or two hits anyway.
The blue mail and Guardian Acorn I can see should still stack.

Also, I know Octopath Traveler can be grindy because I have played it.

Last edited:
When did we get Romancing SaGa?
They got digital releases in English a few years back. I think 2 came to IOS first then later made the jump to Steam and the various consoles, then 3 a year or two after that.

Well the game was originally released without NG+. i.e. you had to do it and could well softlock on Super Famicom. We'll see if it comes to that. Though in a SaGa game, you better come prepared with other knowledge, since the game won't ever explain it. :p
The in-game descriptions in RS2 for armor stats being 90% lies was annoying.
RS3 gave much more accurate and thorough information, thankfully.

I feel that it was smart to not have the piece of power, the Seashell Sword, and the Red mail stack since most enemies die in one or two hits.
The blue mail and Guardian Acorn I can see should still stack.
Unfortunately, they don't. Red Mail and seashell sword do stack to a point, they just don't stack as you might expect. You get more damage, you just don't get quadruple damage.

Octopath is super good! I personally didn't mind its grindiness at all. Plus, doing sidequests nets you EXP points.
Ah, so very sidequest dependent. Noted, an RPG that I may need to go all in on even if I don't want to. Though I may have to anyway, for the finale.

The in-game descriptions in RS2 for armor stats being 90% lies was annoying.
RS3 gave much more accurate and thorough information, thankfully.
Heh. Let's not even get into how arcane SaGa 1 and 2 could be in places too.

==========

JANUARY 2nd:
More Link's Awakening Switch. I started off the session by heading straight to Catfish's Maw. I went as far as getting the hookshot before heading out to collect all that I could in the meantime. I notably got the seashell sword (called the Koholint Sword here), and swapped to the Blue Mail. Might come in handy, did nearly die to Master Skull but I had a fairy. He's much more annoying, until I realized you can just jump over the sword. Shame you can't get multiple hits with bomb arrows in this version.

One good thing, the Rapids Ride is still good for making money. It's even better actually, since you can hook around. I crushed the Rapids Race so much that I didn't know there was a piece of heart (or a seashell) there until checking in a roundup after I'd gotten all I'd remembered from Gameboy.

I paused at the start of level 6 because I'd be getting dragged out to get dinner. After eating, I cleaned it out - already had the Face Key from yesterday. Man, I love the remix they did for this place. Sinister yet melancholy. And the boss wasn't a complete jobber anymore. Completed the annoying fishing minigame after this, somehow I caught the biggest fish before getting a blooper, even though I wasn't intending to.

From there I grabbed the Mirror Shield from level 7, went and beat level 8 because I love the magic rod...then reset before the boss because I wanted to check something. So I cleared level 7 up to the boss too, and that's where I stopped. Maybe not for the night, but midnight would be soon. i.e. it's January 3rd.

Should be able to finish the game off tomorrow.

JANUARY 3rd:
Continuing Link's Awakening Switch to completion. Instead of checking myself, I looked it up. Stuff does change depending on what order you do the dungeons in: if you do them out of order, you get a generic INSTRUMENTS on level 8/any that you go back to, and I think the EGG message pops on your last. After midnight I did beat both dungeons. After waking up, I blitzed through the chamber dungeons as best I could. These ask you to make a dungeon out of various rooms and go through it, sometimes fulfiling certain requirements. However, what is never required is for every room to have meaning. Like there's one where you have three hearts. I built the dungeon in a way so that I could complete it in all of four rooms: entrance, a room with the key, a room with the boss door, and the boss. Every other room was meaningless. It tries to mitigate this by making it so you have to open all chests, but you can easily design a dungeon with only one.

With this I collected my final seashell reward for what it's worth, because I don't feel like doing the additional chamber dungeons, let alone grinding out all the cash to afford all the pieces from the shop. So I went to the egg and beat the game. Had a "wtf is this change" moment when I tried to style on the Agahnim phase with the shovel only to find that doesn't work anymore. Ganon phase was a mess, hard to get attacks in. The other phases were variously simple, including Shadow Dethl. Went down to half HP, but with two fairies and secret medicine, I wasn't in any danger.

Game completed with zero deaths, so I got the secret ending.

---

So next, I'm going to be jumping into a bigger one. I'm in a robot mood due to the releases of fanslations, so I'm heading back to the wild worlds of Super Robot Wars V. This is a series of tactical strategy games that's a crossover of various giant mecha series, all uniting against their own and original threats. One of the games I started but never finished, time to rectify that. Especially with another on the docket, and potentially yet another if they ever decide to announce the next game.

The plot of this one revolves around three different parallel Earths, the dimension jumping between them, and the threat that could envelop all three.
- New Correct Century world: An almost-dead Earth, home to the Original Generation (the origin of that term), Crossbone Gundam, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199 series
- AD world: A fairly normal looking world. Its namesake is from 00 Gundam, and it's also home to Gundam SEED Destiny, Cross Ange, Martian Successor Nadesico movie, Great Express Mightgaine, Zambot 3, and Daitarn 3.
- UC world: Also known as the red Earth due to its oceans. The Universal Century Gundam series is its namesake, and it's also home to Full Metal Panic, the Mazinger series, Getter Robo Armageddon, and Rebuild of Evangelion (the reasn for the dead oceans)

The early part of the plot was more or less Yamato with a touch of Crossbone. We then ended up transported to the AD world; the Full Metal Panic cast had also ended up there: mostly Cross Ange/Nadesico/Mightgiane plot with the others as supporting cast. During a battle at the Martian Polar ruins, we ended up in the UC world. I was prompted to contact Londo Bell for assistance or not. I chose the route not to. We ended up running into them anyway when they were answering a distress call from the Titans from Zeta Gundam, who were being attacked by Neo Zeon from Unicorn Gundam. The stage after is where I'm picking up.

Now, SRW is notorious for its secret characters, doing certain things on stages or having a character or set of characters shoot down a certain number of enemies. I have 14 deployment slots, and 47 in the hangar.

Scenario 24: A Crossroads
Londo Bell discusses Amuro's survival of his canonical death in Char's Counterattack. But apparently Char has returned as well, or so Neo Zeon says. Meanwhile, the AD dimension people lament the horrid war-torn state of the UC one. They're approached by a Federation official who wants our aid in their war against Zeon. As the stage begins proper, they go further. They insist Londo Bell join their efforts in the war, and they assert their right to operate independently. So they say the "Irregulars" don't have that right and to surrender immediately.

However, Commander Okita, who had a bad feeling and is there instead of on his own ship, talks down the soldiers who came aboard the Nahel Argama to take it over. Realizing their hostile takeover's failed, they order the attack.

DEPLOYMENT:
-- Hathaway Noa, Amuro Ray, Judau Ashta, Banagher Links: All of these UC protagonists are characters involved with secrets in this stage. Only the first is mandatory.
- Soji Murakumo, Ange, Maito Senpuji, Kappei Jin: Some non-Gundam characters for added support, including the first who is my main character.
- Charlotte Hastings, Tieria Erde, Tetsuya Tsurugi, Hilda, Elle Viano: Characters who are behind on levels who I'd rather not. FIrst one is another OG character.
- Lunamaria Hawke: Useful support for being able to double experience gains

---

Well, I did the setup for the stage and started it. Then I was asked to play DKC3 on Switch online, and I was like of course~. Cheered up my mood since I was down due . My friend and I made it through the second half of world 3, then we beat world 4 too. Somehow 4-5 didn't take forever, stupid fish. Somehow, she ended up beating Squirt, while jumping over the water jets - completely accidentally using that strat.

JANUARY 4th:
I booted up Pokemon Shield briefly, because I remembered there's a Mystery Gift you can get right now, and I probably should get that...

---

So, starting the SRW stage proper. I'm up against some Federation Soldiers alongside Jerid, Yazan, and Buran. Objective is to defeat all enemies. Do it in five turns for the SR point. Secret objectives are to have any UC protagonist defeat Jerid and Yazan. Also, Hathaway needs to be deployed, and he needs to battle an enemy reinforcement.

Turn 1 is spent approaching. On turn 2, Jerid attempts to shoot down the Nahel Argama, but our last remainining UC protagonist, Kamille Bidan, appears alongside Fa from the north. From the east comes the Ra Cailum, with Captain Bright Noa himself - alongside Ple and Ple Two (aka Puru), because hey all the fkn Universal Century is here, canon deaths or not. The enemy side also gets a reinforcement in Lane Aime.

I rush down Jerid on turn 3, and defeat him with Judau. On turn 4, I defeat Buran (Otto), Yazan (Amuro), and Lane (Hathaway). The only enemy left is a battleship. I stayed out of its attack range, so it approached and I defeated it on the final turn.

We've made enemies of the Federation and Neo Zeon. So the only thing left is Mithril, so we're going to their secret base next. Also Kamille kinda peaces out after the stage. 13 units for the next stage. Judau, Banagher, Riddhe, and Sousuke are forced. Amuro and at least one of the Ples is mandatory for secrets

---

After this, more DKC3. Completed world 5 and up through burn your rope in world 6.

JANUARY 5th:
Unfortunately, a dead day due to a late start, distractions, and decision-making and not feeling it.. Nothing but setting up for the next SRW stage. Here's my deployment, however.

- Sousuke, Banagher, Judau: Force-deployed. Riddhe is too, but...
- Amuro, Ple, Ple Two: For secrets
- Mao, Kurz, Clouseau: May as well bring Full Metal Panic characters to a FMP stage.
- Ange, Tobia: The intro of the stage involved a chat with Audrey. Ange herself felt a kinship, probably sensing they're fellow princesses. Tobia's pretty much girlfriend was involved too so.
- Ersha: Cheer support.
- Athrun, Maito, Rosalie, Vivian: The rest. Rosalie in particular to give her some levels, as she's one of the Cross Ange cast that won't play hooky later.

We open up with some Unicorn plot beats. At the base, Bernadette and Momoka are speaking with Audrey. The latter says she reminds her of Ange, who shows up. She surprisingly jokes a bit at her probably being compared to a "violent woman" like her. This leads to Riddhe having a conversation with Audrey, only for Mithril's enemy, Amalgam, to show up looking to capture her. Fortunately, Mithril is not incompetent and fends them off. The base will have to be scrapped. Though even Gauron admits to not knowing how they got the base's location, besides possibly a traitor?

Playing through the stage after midnight. Mostly done, but that'll be next time. And the stage afterwards, it'll be Evangelion and Mazinger time.

JANUARY 6th
Okay, so this stage, woof. The objective is to defeat all enemies. For the SR point, I have to defeat both Xia Yu Fan and Xia Yu Lan, before defeating either Gates or Gauron, within three turns. All of them are equipped with Lambda Drivers, which in a gameplay sense, reduce all damage by 2000.

I probably should've brought more units who can get through those barriers. Athrun, the Ples, and Amuro were able to, but some of the others could only do triple digit damage when they had 13000 (the sisters) or over 20000 in the case of the other two. What follows is a chaotic rush as I try to beat down them and Gauron, despite less than ideal positioning. Sousuke has a combination attack with Mao and Kurz which I take advantage of several times. He too can get through barriers, though this came into play too late to really matter since the relevant attack needs him to build up morale to use.

After this, everything goes to hell. Full Frontal shows up, and although he is not Char Aznable, he is playing the role of the Red Comet. Marida Cruz (aka Ple Twelve) is also in tow. However, they bid a hasty retreat as the Unicorn Gundam goes into Destroy Mode and begins rampaging. Objectives now are to defeat Unicorn within three turns, or else I lose. And everyone has attacked, so it's more like two.

Gates is still hanging around, so I quickly eliminate him on the next turn. Thankfully I bring down Banagher without incident. Judau holds him off when he keeps rampaging (unlocking the Biosensor in the process) Some GN particle magic on Setsuna's behalf (surprised he wasn't force deployed) allows us to snap Banagher out of it. Amuro and Frontal have a bit of a talk in the shared consciousness in the process.

Finally, the final phase of the map is to defeat Full Frontal. For secret purposes, Amuro has to battle him. Furthermore, Judau, Banagher, and at least one of the Ples must battle Marida.

However, he's still out of control, and Frontal reappears. Setsuna, realizing that he is Gundam, uses GN particles to create a space where the Newtypes can share consciousness. They manage to get through to Banagher, and I gain control of the Unicorn again. 5-turn time limit on the NT-D mode, but it's plenty of time. The only thing left to do is to clean up: still Frontal and Marida, a bunch of Neo Zeon mooks, and a Gamilas imperial ship (they allied with Neo Zeon).

Vivian ends up killing three of the mooks. I use the Nadesico to transport Amuro and the Ples over to the other side of the stage where the bosses are. Ple Two takes Marida, Clouseau beats the ship, and Banagher beats Frontal - gaining 4 levels in the process.

After the battle, the team discusses Audrey and her mysterious desertion. Ange and Bernadette agree she seems a person of high standing. Banagher believes she may be from Zeon. Ple Two even thinks she seems familiar, but can't remember anything more. The game confirms this in a scene with her after.

---

So next stage. I have a 12 unit limit. 2 battleships, besides the Tuatha de Danaan. The only unit forced is Tetsuya Tsurugi and the Great Mazinger.

Marida is being taken into custody after that previous mission. Meanwhile, a conversation between Tessa, Kaname, and Sanada from the Yamato, in which it's revealed the Whispered from Full Metal Panic are the source of technological advancements that the AD and NCC worlds don't have. But an alarm sounds, Code: Angel has been issued. We're to head to Japan immediately, or it could spell the end of the world.

Meanwhile at Tokyo-3, Shinji Ikari has transfered there. The disaster alarm goes off, and as the stage - Scenario 26: Descent From the Heavesns - begins, we cut to Shinji in the fucking robot. The Fourth Angel walks up and one-shots him in a cutscene. Koji Kabuto and the rest of the Shin Mazinger team makes it just in time to see Eva-01 go berserk and overkill the angel. Then it turns on us, and a bunch of unmanned Neo Zeon weapons show up.

Koji and Sayaka manage to weaken it significantly. Boss can't get in range, however I bring it low enough to trigger the next event: my team appearing. And that's all I did today. What can I say? Another late start, and today was eventful in the news.

JANUARY 7th
I decide to try to end the battle against Eva-01 immediately. To this end:

Deployment:
- Akito, Athrun: The two who will be attacking it
- Lunamaria: She'll need to give them a morale boost, and good support anyway
- Ange, Salia, Vivian: Cross Ange characters because spoilers, stuff happens here. I would've taken Hilda too, but had to make room for Luna.
- Ryoma: Also because of possible relevant plot
- Amuro, Kappei, Graham, Shinn, Nigel: All of these characters except Amuro have Accel to get to the action quickly, just in case.

Akito's Black Sarana is one of the fastest-moving units in the game, and he has Accel. Athrun can also get there quickly between parts, Accel, and a second boosted bonus. Why do this? Because Eva-01 is a third party, and will attack the AI units and us equally, and losing kills/experience isn't good. I needed Luna to boost Athrun's morale enough so he could use his strongest attack. I also needed to bump Akito's upgrades a bit to get through Eva-01's AT-Field: in SRW, this translates to negating all damage below a certain threshold.

This worked, and after Koji stopped it in a cutscene, I was promptly greeted by dragons. As in, actual dragons; they're from Cross Ange (and not even FROM the UC world). Captain Bright Noah takes it surprisingly well, ordering the attack. And curiously, they are NOT a third party to the Neo Zeon AI units...

I send Ange over to support them while everyone else tangles with the enemies straight ahead. The next turn, the Fifth Angel shows up. It is a third party and it's mentioned the dragons are in fact targetting it to. Objective becomes to defeat the Fifth Angel. I get reinforcements in Eva-01 and Eva-00.

On turn 3, I eliminate most of the dragons near the Angel so it can't kill any of them. The only one left in range is a big green one (they are massive sacks of HP), who goes after Nigel. The Angel goes after Shinji. I'm able to clean up everything except a green one and a black one on Koji's side by the end of the turn, as well as weakening the Angel. I finish it off on turn 4.

After the battle, Tetsuya (who has been concerned about Mazinger) asks Ryoma to come with him for something important, alone. Apparently a big source of yaoi shippers. Ryoma refuses, since although he trusts Tetsuya, he also trusts his other allies. Tetsuya ups and leaves at this, declaring Great Mazinger as a Mazinger to surpass Z. In the aftermath, Gendo entrusts the Evas to Londo Bell; Misato comes along too. Of course since Gendo is shady, he talks about the "Winged Hermits" taking action, as well as the Getter Rays. If they want to carry out their plans, they have to take action.

Oh, and don't worry about Shinji. Super Robot Wars always makes sure that he gets the emotional support he needs from his teammates. :3

---

Next stage: 15 units. Ange, Koji, and Ryoma are forced, as is the Nadesico. Dr. Hell is planning on attacking our team. And a special surprise or two might show up.

JANUARY 8th:
Okay, so deployment time:

- Koji, Ryoma, Ange: Forced
- Sayaka, Boss: It's a Mazinger stage so
- Hilda, Vivian, Rosalie: Cross Ange stuff will also be happening this stage.
- Akito, Ryoka, Saburouta: Since the Nadesico is forced, I may as well use its characters.
- Shinji, Rei, Sousuke: Filling the roster out
- Tieria, Kappei: Couldn't decide so I asked @Juliko for two, she gave me them
- Kira, Athrun: And another friend gave me these two

As I start the stage, Ryoma is fired up. He blames the "untamed shrew," which Ange takes as a compliment. I also get an exchange between Misato and Shinji, explaining an important mechanic behind Eva-01: if it gets shot down, it berserks and becomes a fourth-party unit. Baron Ashura appears and talks some trash. Objective is to defeat all enemies. For the SR point, I need to defeat the Ghostfire V9 and Belgas V5 mechanical beasts accompanying him and Ashura, all within four turns.

Let's briefly talk killcounts. Several secrets require a character to have a certain amount of enemies shot down. One case that I've already achieved is Sousuke having 40, and FMP characters (including him) collectively having 100. Another soon is Ruri having ace status, achieved at 60 kills, or 50 with a special skill. I stall a bit so that she can shoot down a bunch with the Nadesico; she ultimately gets 7 kills the stage. I won't have access to her soon, so had to do that now. Later, I'll need to have Judau and possibly Shinji make ace status as well.

Nothing special about the stage up until that point. Ryoma and Akito get one one of the lesser ones, and Tieria gets Baron Ashura. They (probably the appropriate pronoun for someone whose left and right sides are a man and a woman) goad Koji into fighting alone, but Mazinger Z counters with unlocking a new weapon. But then Tetsuya shows up, covering Ashura's escape? A couple more enemies spawn in, and the objective becomes to defeat Great Mazinger.

Amusingly, he actually has a conversation and voiced line for facing Kappei in battle. Ange also has one, where she can't resist fighting an opponent like him. Hitting him with Zambot and Getter is enough to trigger the next event: he and Ryoma battle, the latter losing. But then Shin Getter Robo appears. Go entrusts it to him before peacing out, leaving him with Hayato and Benkei. The famous Stoner Sunshine theme starts playing as they duel. Koji comes over as well. However, Vivian senses something else is coming: more dragons, alongside a red Para-Mail. It's targetting Ange, and she gets her slasher smile on, happy about it. The pilot is shrouded in black, face unrevealed.

I bring start bringing down the dragons and Enryugo (the mech's name) next turn, as Koji, Ryoma, and Tessa who was over there start battling Tetsuya. Once the mystery Para-Mail is down, I get the Nadesico and Ptolemaios to transport several units over to help, because wow is Tetsuya ever bulky between high armor and high Prevail rating. Eva-01's strongest attack barely did 2000 damage, and some where only doing the minimum of 10! It was funny watching his attacks bounce off Eva-00's AT-Field. But I eventually beat him with a Getter Combination. He refuses to answer any questions and retreats.

Enryugo reappears, attempting to sing a mysterious song and attack Ange. Tetsuya internally speculates they're attracted to Getter Rays. Ange counters by warping suddenly and unleashing a new attack. She wants to pursue, but Ruri stops her. They found out something more important: the key to jumping between worlds.

Next time, things get a little comedic in a secret scenario, I do some bonus scenarios, and the route split!

Last edited:
JANUARY 9th:

I started up Smash Ultimate briefly. Spirit event going on now, first new spirits in a while. Beat up the Age of Calamity spirits with Chrom and Sephiroth and moved on.

---

Busy day. But I played some DKC3 with my friend near the end of it. We got through to the end of the game. Just the Lost World and cleanup left to do. She destroyed Floodlit Fish on her own, and also clutched out K. Rool's last phase, in contrary to her saying she's bad at platformers. :D

---

Well, at least wanted to do some SRW. So I got through the intro to the next stage. Now, try to keep up: first, the captains discuss the possibility of returning to their world. Some key points is that that dragons' energy signals when they warp into the AD world weren't detected here. However, it was also detected from the Vilkiss. If they combine that with Boson Jump technology, and Nine (OC)'s calculations, they might be able to open a gate back to the AD world.

Meanwhile, Ange has been training for this. It's been going poorly, and she's worn out. Ryoma's been giving hot-blooded advice, Amuro abstract, and Setsuna has been so mediocre that even his teammates dunk on him a bit for it. Well, the system is tied to her emotional state, so Sousuke comes into play. Meanwhile, Vivian has been preparing something to cheer Ange up! Down on the ground, our forces have some time off. They decide to visit Kaname's out school, which was evacuated when she was targetted by Amalgam. However, Sousuke is missing! As is Ange. Sousuke said something interesting was going to happen.

fightinganimals.png

A few scenes with various people, and the interesting scene turns out to be Likitee (a mascot from Cross Ange) being attacked by Bonta-kun (a bear/mouse from Full Metal Panic). Ange and Sousuke are in the costumes respectively. I just had to show this insanity. This scene gets interrupted by Amalgam showing up.

Gates is after Kaname, but Bonta-kun enters the fray. It keeps dodging Gates' shots, so he gets pissed and targets Likitee, who can't escape due to its short legs. As Gates is going for the kill, VIlkiss suddenly appears. Ange mastered the jump! She promptly fires some shots at Bonta-kun, before saying to it that they'll wipe out Amalgam together.

And that ended the day. Objective is to defeat Gates, and I can't lose any ally.

JANUARY 10th:
This secret stage is uninvolved. The enemies are extremely weak, so Sousuke and Ange get a lot of kills out of it. I get some ally reinforcements, which I used to give a couple underleveled characters some experience. There's lots of humorous bits here, as is usual when Bonta-kun is involved in SRW. The enemies are alternatingly disgraced or happy that Bonta-kun defeated them. The Cross Ange girls like it, even if some (Salia) are conflicted about admitting it. The Brave robots experience the feeling of wanting to protect cuteness. Allelujah and Hallelujah (i.e. a split personality) even argue if it's a mouse or a bear.

After the stage, Ange thanks Momoka and Vivian for helping her feel better, but tells them no more animal characters. Sousuke fervantly apologizes to Kaname, thinking the Likitee was an enemy AS, but she thanks him for the sentiment in trying to pick her up. He assures her that with some adjustments, Bonta-kun will be perfect, and rambles a bit until she says that as long as he sticks by her side, that's enough for her. Some of Kaname's classmates show up. Toji and Kensuke even appear to say hi to Shinji. Mission accomplished, say Kurz, Mao, Misato, and Soji.

Bonta-kun is stored away in the school. I'll just show what happens next.

whatisthis1.png

whatisthis2.png

Ange and Sousuke have an awkward conversation after that I'll just transcribe.

Ange: "..."
Sousuke: "..."
Ange: "There's so much I want to say."
Sousuke: "Me too."
Ange: "But I don't want to crush everyone's dreams, so just this once, I'll keep quiet."
Sousuke: "That would be a big help."
Ange: "Goodbye, Mister Fumo."
*leaves*
Sousuke: "I guess I owe you one."

Nine recovered Bonta-kun as well, so I can switch Sousuke into it whenever I want, as long as he isn't force deployed in his primary mech.

---

Two DLC stages follow this. These aren't actually DLC in the Switch version. They're little easy stages with fixed units that give a good chunk of money and parts.

In the first of these, Beecha is being talked down by Captain Otto, who suddenly falls ill. Then Neo Zeon attacks. Beecha takes it upon himself to name himself acting captain. I have him in the Nahel Argama and several Gundam characters against a small group of enemies led by Angelo. Showing how much love and care is put into this series, he in fact has voiced lines for this situation found only here. Everyone has a line before battle. He manages to get the Nahel Argama to safety through luck (read: retreating to a place so tactically unsound it takes the enemy off-guard and lets him wreck them). Amuro is impressed, and sticks up for Beecha after the battle when Captain Otto chews him out. Of course, even if he does have leadership, Beecha is still an immature teenager, as Otto finds out when he tries to invite the kid for some tea...

---

Meanwhile, on the Tuatha de Danaan, Athrun Zala finds himself being smothered by Rosalie and Chris (were into each other, until they met him), and is getting a bit of attention from Lunamaria (who wants him to help her on marksmanship). Meanwhile, Banjo Haran has his ladies fighting over him, and Elle is also finding herself charmed. Shinn and Beecha get jealous. Kurz encourages them to stand up, and Boss finds himself getting fired up too. Kira and Nine just watch.

Cut to a battle map, a scouting mission. Athrun and Banjo are captain and vice captain respectively, finding the others (except Iino and Mondo who have no context for what happened) having animosity towards them. They aren't afraid to let them know exactly why. Somehow the ZZ extras are the ones to mediate, telling them enemies are coming. The jealous guys charge forward to face some Amalgam mooks. This is naturally a trap, and we find ourselves surrounded by forces led by Gates. Athrun takes the chance to challenge him alone, protecting everyone else since he's captain (Gates is annoyed at his red mech because he thinks only two have the right to that color: him and the Red Comet). This and Banjo covering Athrun encourages the others to stop being petty. They all break towards Gates and fully charge morale.

Everyone has something to say again here, I reload to see them all because Gates has only 10000HP and I mean jeez Banjo could one-shot him. In the end, everything works out until they return, find the whole thing was livestreamed, and get pissed off and jealous again

---

Next, the route split! These are a trademark of SRW games, where your forces get split to deal with multiple looming issues at once. The AD world forces will be returning to their world. The UC natives will be remaining behind, and the NCC forces will stay too due to the Gamilas activity in the world. As for my OG character, I get my choice of where to go.

The painful thing is that they can come with mutually exclusive secrets. In this case however, it's a simple choice. The AD route gets me one secret that doesn't affect gameplay. The UC route gets me two characters, a secret part, the opportunity to get points towards several other secrets, and one of the steps for a UC mech I won't be getting because of being exclusive with another secret later.

However that said, the AD route has all the fun stuff: major Mightgaine and Cross Ange plot, as well as the Nadesico climax I believe, and major upgrades to the supporting AD cast. So I'll be going down both routes, although keeping the UC route as my main save.

Let's bring up something important, too: to unlock the secret ending route, 25 characters will need to hit ace status, and at least one will need to hit great ace (20 more over ace).

---

Both this and the AD route open with Al or Gaine respectively lamenting they didn't get a chance to say goodbye to the other. They just have a hunch. Ominous.

Hoo boy, this stage turned out to be a mess. It opens up with Kaname kind of freaking out over the war situation. The NCC and UC worlds were actually very similar, the biggest difference was the Whispered. This allowed military technology to advance far faster in the UC world, and caused all sorts of wars. She and Sousuke go to their old school to talk a bit. Kaname can't really relax, but declarations of protection and the L-word make her calm down a bit.

Enter a dapper man with white hair. Leonard Testarossa, Tessa's twin brother, infatuated with Kaname, and leader of Amalgam. He attempts to entice Kaname to his side, promising an end to the war (she had been considering it, so Zeon wouldn't take drastic action like a colony drop). Sousuke's reply is to shoot him, but his suit is bulletproof, and also he has a human-sized AS bodyguard. He amiably takes his leave, only saying that Sousuke's AS is "an eyesore". He rushes out to meet Amalgam, telling Kaname to stay put. This will end well.

It's just him against a bunch of mooks at first. After the first turn, in swoop the Gamilas and the Jupiter Empire forces. But also my team.

Deployment:
- Mao, Kurz, Clouseau: FMP stage. They also gained a new ability called "Fairy Eyes", allowing them to ignore barriers on all attacks at 130 morale or higher
- Tobia, Kincaid: Well since the Jupiter Empire forces showed up, may as well bring them.
- Koji, Banagher, Hathaway, Lottie: The Gundam characters have funnels to deal with Lambda Drivers. Koji and Lottie hit like trucks anyway.
- Shinji, Ryoma, Nigel, Boss, Soji: All have Accel to rush up towards the Gamilas.
- Sayaka: Cheer support

Appearing after six enemies go down are Leonard himself, and two named enemies: one a martial artist like Clouseau, and the other Kurz' mentor. Now here's the rough part: I have three turns from this point for the SR point to defeat everyone, and then defeat Leonard.

There's four complications with this. One, everyone is so spread out. Two, a lot of bulky enemies some of whom have Lambda Drivers. Three, for a secret character, I need to have the force-deployed Yamamoto defeat Melda for a secret. And fourth is Leonard himself, but, we'll get to him.

I sent the Accel users I mentioned as well as Yamamota straight forward, and everyone else in Sousuke's direction. I make a notable play by hurling Koji into the fray to take on the Jupiter Empire mostly on his own, which he's more than capable of doing. Zabine is here too. I need to use savescumming to get Melda down. Most of the team moves towards the Jupiter Empire to help Koji clean up after. On Sousuke's side, I'm able to whittle down the enemies so that only the named bosses remain by the final turn.

Now, I need to do some battleship shenanigans here, but I get both down. Now for the big problem. Leonard has 8000HP, but his special Lambda Driver ability reduces all damage to 10% of its original value. Which means he functionally has 80000. Which is uh, more than double any boss so far. He's also the second instance of a boss that moves twice in one turn, after Eva-01.

I need to refresh Ryoma's turn in particular to get him to chip in, as well as using more battleship shenanigans to get Shinji and Nigel over. In the end, with more save abuse, I'm only BARELY able to get him down, Sousuke delivering the final blow on the enemy phase.

Of course plot happens. A traitor is indeed in Mithril's midst, and he captured Kaname. Leonard's mech just regenerates. He strikes down Sousuke. Surprisingly touching moment here as Sousuke grants Al (his mech's sentient computer) a discharge right before they blow up. Sousuke miraculously survives and still resolves to fight. Kaname sees this happening and says she'll love Leonard if he just lets Sousuke go. He accepts this, and retreats with her in-tow.

All in all, Sousuke is in critical condition, and his AS is damaged beyond repair. The only bright spot is we did retrieve Melda, and can question her about the Gamillas. Furthermore, Amalgam - formerly run by a shadow council - now has one head. And if we were to cut off that head...

...meanwhile, at Leonard's hideout, he tranquilized Kaname to get her to settle down. Now, when I said Cross Ange plot is on the other route? That wasn't entirely true. Embryro from said series suddenly appears before Leonard and proposes an alliance.

JANUARY 11th:
Felt lethargic for most of the day. On the bright side, a game I ordered finally arrived. 3DS though, The Great Ace Attorney 2. Can't play yet, but stress off my back considered I ordered it on October 30th.

I did manage to get the stage mostly started, however. Melda is being interrogated, but she understands not all Terrons are like Neo Zeon. Apparently the Gamillas alliance with them is shaky too - they plan to bail as soon as they can get hold of the Yamato. Because the wave motion gun (THE original wave motion gun, or well, the remake's anyway) could potentially also be a way back to their home dimension. A bit of silliness as the more perverted characters come in to see her, amazed she looks just like them, except with blue skin. More seriously, Ryoma and company tell them there's way bigger weirdos on the planet, alluding to Baron Ashura and Count Brocken in particular. Speaking of, Brocken is being sent out to fight us. Baron Ashura is ordered to recover by Dr. Hell, because despite being a mad scientist bent on world domination, he does care for his subordinates. Though Ashura's lost memories are being triggered by something...

JANUARY 12th:
Busy with other stuff, but did start the stage. And completed it a little while ago, but today's the 13th so that'll be reported tomorrow.

DEPLOYMENT:
- Koji, Sayaka, Boss: A Mazinger stage. Boss is also needed for a secret, and Koji for the TacP bonus.
- Judau, Lottie (in the Huckebein): Two candidates to get the SR point.
- Mao, Kurz, Shinji, Rei, Melda, Banagher, Amuro, Ple, Tobia, Soji: Everyone else

Ryoma is fired up. Mao and Kurz internally tell Sousuke to rest and let them do the fighting. Count Brocken shows up and talks some trash, also saying he has a surprise. Objective is to defeat all enemies. I must defeat Count Brocken before the sixth turn begins or I miss out on the money/experience from doing so. SR point is to defeat three or more enemies with a MAP weapon. For the TacP bonus, Koji needs to battle Brocken.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom