• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I need help with finding a good pokemon for shiny hunting.

Dreamlogic

Reaction score
(The shiny pokemon I'm going for is Eevee, as I want a shiny Umbreon)

For the pokemon that kills the SOS teammates, I have a Mimikyu with Double Team, Hone Claws, and Thief. The other pokemon don't really matter, as it's just an Intimidate pokemon and a False Swipe pokemon.

My Mimikyu keeps getting hit status moves (Tail Whip, Sand Attack, and Baby Doll Eyes). I haven't had trouble with Tail Whip, even though it bumps my defense down by 6 notches because the Eevee can't hit me (Its only attack move is Quick Attack). Sand Attack is kept in check by Hone Claws (Whenever it doesn't call an ally), but Baby Doll Eyes is the really annoying part, as it lowers my defense enough that I can't one-tap the Eevee (I'm using a pretty low-level Mimikyu, as I didn't feel like running it through the elite four for exp.

I'm planning to exit my 30 kill+ SOS chain soon just to address this problem, I might try leveling it up through the elite four, but if there is a pokemon that can disable me from being hit by such moves, that would be great. I'm not sure if there is a move that does that or an ability, or if I should just level it up to like 60+. Could someone answer that?

If there is a different pokemon I should be using for this that isn't too hard to obtain, please tell me!

Thanks!

What game are you playing and how far are you in it? That will make it easier for me to recommend specific advice.

That aside, if Mimikyu is too difficult to use, then I'd consider...
  • Teaching it Swords Dance.
  • Just leveling it up some more. Honestly, you're probably going to encounter the same issue with almost any Pokémon with a more physical moveset if it is similarly low level. Plus, time spent attempting to boost Mimikyu's attack stat is time wasted on continuing the chain. If you're playing Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, then you could SOS chain Chansey at Poni Plains rather than fight the Elite Four.
  • You're best bet, however, is probably to use a Pokémon with the ability Keen Eye that is high enough in level that any physical or special move will OHKO regardless of how low either stat is. As mentioned before, spending a turn boosting your attack or accuracy wastes a turn that could be used to extend the chain, making things much more efficient (I've chained for several days for a shiny Fomantis so any way to speed the process along is nice). With Keen Eye, you don't need to waste time increasing accuracy to counter Sand Attack, and with a high enough level practically any move will be an OHKO. This also means you don't waste valuable moveslots on status moves, reducing the risk of running out of PP on offense moves (granted this isn't an issue if you have a ton of Lecha berries).
    • Recommendations:
      • Skarmory, Pelipper, Toucannon, and Braviary can all have Keen Eye and can be found at decently high levels so you can do little if any grinding--Skarmory can be found in the low to mid 40s and the rest at mid to high 50s. Skarmory can be found at Vast Poni Canyon; Pelipper can be found at Poni Plains; Toucannon is an SOS ally of Trumbeak at Poni Plains (you can also just evolve a high-level Trumbeak); Braviary is Sun/Ultra Sun exclusive and can be found at Poni Plains as a dark shadow. Toucannon and Braviary can both learn Fighting type moves, which is helpful because, if I remember correctly, defeating an ally with a super-effective move increases the ally call rate for the next turn. Pelipper has a usable Special Attack stat, meaning that the Attack Drops from Baby-Doll Eyes aren't as threatening because it can effectively use Special moves instead.

Last edited:
What game are you playing and how far are you in it? That will make it easier for me to recommend specific advice.

That aside, if Mimikyu is too difficult to use, then I'd consider...
  • Teaching it Swords Dance.
  • Just leveling it up some more. Honestly, you're probably going to encounter the same issue with almost any Pokémon with a more physical moveset if it is similarly low level. Plus, time spent attempting to boost Mimikyu's attack stat is time wasted on continuing the chain. If you're playing Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, then you could SOS chain Chansey at Poni Plains rather than fight the Elite Four.
  • You're best bet, however, is probably to use a Pokémon with the ability Keen Eyethat is high enough in level that any physical or special move will OHKO regardless of how low either stat is. As mentioned before, spending a turn boosting your attack or accuracy wastes a turn that could be used to extend the chain, making things much more efficient (I've chained for several days for a shiny Fomantis so any way to speed the process along is nice). With Keen Eye, you don't need to waste time increasing accuracy to counter Sand Attack, and with a high enough level practically any move will be an OHKO. This also means you don't waste valuable moveslots on status moves, reducing the risk of running out of PP on offense moves (granted this isn't an issue if you have a ton of Lecha berries).
    • Recommendations:
      • Skarmory, Pelipper, Toucannon, and Braviary can all have Keen Eye and can be found at decently high levels so you can do little if any grinding--Skarmory can be found in the low to mid 40s and the rest at mid to high 50s. Skarmory can be found at Vast Poni Canyon; Pelipper can be found at Poni Plains; Toucannon is an SOS ally of Trumbeak at Poni Plains (you can also just evolve a high-level Trumbeak); Braviary is Sun/Ultra Sun exclusive and can be found at Poni Plains as a dark shadow. Toucannon and Braviary can both learn Fighting type moves, which is helpful because, if I remember correctly, defeating an ally with a super-effective move increases the ally call rate for the next turn. Pelipper has a usable Special Attack stat, meaning that the Attack Drops from Baby-Doll Eyes aren't as threatening because it can effectively use Special moves instead.
thanks so much! I'll try that out!

yeah I did some research, defeating allies with super affective moves increases the call rate.

thanks for helping, I think I'll pick a high level Braviary and put some fighting move on it, it should be able to always one-hit due to its high level!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom