• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I need help with my Scizor!

Anser

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I created this thread because I'm about to start training a Scizor and I can't decide its EV distribution... Its moveset is going to be:

-X-Scissor
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Swords Dance

I already decided it's going to have 252 Attack. The thing is that I want it to have both high Defense and Speed (yes, I know Scizor's Speed stat is just 65, but I don't want him to be that slow). What do you think I should do? I'll appreciate your help. Thanks.

I think the question you best ask yourself is this: Do you want something that can take hits during set-up, or do you want something fierce and fast? You've already decided on max Attack. I'm not sure if investing a whole lot in Speed will let you outpace anything notable besides maybe max Speed Tyranitar. However, it means you'll be left with only a handful of EVs to go into any of its defenses.

Remember that with Scizor's typing also comes a great many resistances; with base 100 Defense, I'm sure it could shrug off most physical neutral hits anyways. A bulkier spread with something like 252 HP/252 Atk may allow you an easier time setting up. While this means you won't be able to outspeed max Speed Tyranitar and puts Scizor at risk of getting singed with Fire Blast, a STAB super-effective Bullet Punch should take care of it--and that's assuming T-tar doesn't switch out in fear of that Bullet Punch.

As a side note, does this Scizor have Technician? If so, you should use Bug Bite over X-Scissor because Bug Bite is stronger after the boost.

I want to have a balanced team. Two special attackers (Alakazam and Togekiss), two physical attackers (Scizor and Machamp) one physical tank (I'm still not sure of who to use) and one special tank (Blissey or Jellicent).

I want to have a balanced team. Two special attackers (Alakazam and Togekiss), two physical attackers (Scizor and Machamp) one physical tank (I'm still not sure of who to use) and one special tank (Blissey or Jellicent).
You may want to run the Bulky Set,

@Anser;

Well I used a 252 attack/ 252 speed scizor with jolly. Adamant is also cool. Item should be life orb and teach it bug bite and super power instead of x-scissor and brick break. You can also try roost over bug bite if you want recovery.

You can go for the bulky set Angad is suggesting. It would have 252 hp / 252 spdef or attack with sd/ bug bite/ bullet punch /roost. It is generally used to counter Reuniclus and other psychic types. The one is suggested is an all out offensive set while Angad's set is a bulky(or balanced as they say) set.

You can't just teach Scizor Bug Bite or Superpower, both are from move tutors in the 4th generation, nice try though. The moves there seem to be the best alternatives to them though, although it's usefulness isn't going to be as high. Roost is also from the 4th generation TM, you'd have to wait until BW2 to teach that from a tutor. Now please, do go on with the impossibilities.

You can't just teach Scizor Bug Bite or Superpower, both are from move tutors in the 4th generation, nice try though. The moves there seem to be the best alternatives to them though, although it's usefulness isn't going to be as high. Roost is also from the 4th generation TM, you'd have to wait until BW2 to teach that from a tutor. Now please, do go on with the impossibilities.

Logistics are the least of a competitive battler's problems. Nice try though.

Why Machamp? Why not Conkeldurr? Just wondering.

It could also be Conkeldurr. Now you got me thinking.

Ok, I'll take all your suggestions into account, guys. Thank you. I was also thinking about training a Scyther, given he has the same Base Stat Total as Scizor... Is Scyther good? Is it worth it at all?

Ok, I'll take all your suggestions into account, guys. Thank you. I was also thinking about training a Scyther, given he has the same Base Stat Total as Scizor... Is Scyther good? Is it worth it at all?

No, it can't take a hit and SR makes it cry.

Go with Guts Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Stone Edge, Bulk Up. Or Payback instead of Stone Edge your choice.

Sure he may not be able to take some Hits but he is great with bulk up and able to stay in and dish out a mean hit.

Scyther aren't really all that bad. They do have great attack and speed. It could be useful if you get lucky and run into a team that doesn't run Stealth Rock. But then again, most teams do have a few Rock/Fire/Electric/Ice type moves... so Scizor is generally considered a safer option.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I'm interested in that Conkeldurr. I think I'll keep Stone Edge to deal with the Flying-types that could damage me greatly.

Hey, everyone! I created this thread because I'm about to start training a Scizor and I can't decide its EV distribution... Its moveset is going to be:

-X-Scissor
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Swords Dance

I already decided it's going to have 252 Attack. The thing is that I want it to have both high Defense and Speed (yes, I know Scizor's Speed stat is just 65, but I don't want him to be that slow). What do you think I should do? I'll appreciate your help. Thanks.

252 Attack / 152 Speed / 100 Defense

-X-Scissor
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Swords Dance

I was thinking of something similar to this. Those are the exact same EVs I put to my Pinsir and he turned out to be an excellent sweeper!

-X-Scissor
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Swords Dance

I was thinking of something similar to this. Those are the exact same EVs I put to my Pinsir and he turned out to be an excellent sweeper!

Framcally you do not need all that super high speed EVS. Make scizor fast but not that fast. If you dealing with something like a tyranitar, Metagriss , ect. Those will be wasted EVs that could be put to great use in some other department.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom