• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I shipped a rarepair and found this amazing fanfic

Triskelia

Reaction score
A few months ago, I found myself in front of the computer screen with 20+ tabs staring right back at me. No, I was not researching for a thesis nor did it involve anything scholarly. Yours truly was simply in a fanfiction reader’s dilemma: When would there be another completed fic about my favorite ship? I am quite a picky reader and the rarity of this shipping within the general fandom does not help in my case. That is until my dearest sibling introduced Obsidian Heart by Felibunny in Archive of Our Own (AO3).

Of course, I should reveal that this particular ship of mine is called Darksteelshipping’— The romantic pairing between Steven Stone of Hoenn and Champion Cynthia of Sinnoh.
(Yes, I’ve heard of more popular ships for these two champions. I truly respect if this is not a pairing you agree with for reasons).

The recent Masters 8 Tournament in the anime saw a rise in the popularity of this pairing. This was evident in the mild influx of new & old Darksteelshipping fans in the corners of AO3 and FFN. The comment sections were also filled with readers joyfully sharing their newfound or rekindled love for this ship. Obsidian Heart happens to be one of the newly popular fics that fans may stumble upon in the darksteel section of AO3. It’s been on-going for months until the epilogue was published on October 24, 2022. However, it seems that the author (Felibunny) still has plans in store for this amazing fic! I recently discovered that he/she created a ‘Collections’ tab on her profile which, in AO3 context, means that we could expect more stories set in the Obsidian Heart universe!

In the meantime, I wish to share my thoughts on this particular fic and its creative portrayal of Darksteelshipping.

1. SUBTLETY OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
In true fanfic fashion, Obsidian Heart goes in-depth with its characterization of pre-existing characters. The author does not stray from the core of their original representation in media. In fact, he/she presents them as layered characters with fleshed out personalities that slowly unravel as the story progresses. Readers may have to be sharp in noticing this. From my experience, I had to pay attention to details of the characters’ dialogues, actions, and behaviors in order to appreciate their development. The subtlety of presenting such growth made the central characters relatable to readers. Just as we do not change overnight as persons, the characters in Obsidian Heart adjust and act accordingly to their experiences.

Of course, things eventually get complicated when aspects of the characters’ personalities become firmly rooted in their morals. From there it turns into a haywire of duty, chivalry, secrets, and resolve. Although one thing is guaranteed: Obsidian Heart would not hit you with that OOC whiplash!

2. INCORPORATES CANON MATERIAL INTO ITS OWN UNIVERSE
One of Obsidian Heart’s strongest points would be its creative use of canon material for world building. It is clever handiwork by the author to tailor an interplay between game lore and an original storyline. It elicits that distinct feeling of familiarity from the source material but maintains a sense of curiosity with the original narrative. Perhaps the greatest element I grew to appreciate in Obsidian Heart is its unpredictability. This story is far from straightforward. It is made up of subplots that may focus on certain instances of character development, worldbuilding, or even fanservice. Despite these divisions in the overall story, the author was able to seamlessly weave and transition between the arcs. You are not left confused as everything eventually coheres into one exciting climax!

3. IT HAS EXPLICIT SCENES, BUT EVEN THOSE ARE RELEVANT
Yes. It has those very detailed and mature moments in the story.
Why? Simply because Obsidian Heart is close to being the complete package for certain Darksteelshipping needs, of course.

Suggestiveness aside, the explicit moments in the story are in fact meaningful. It’s not just smut for the sake of fanservice. We actually see a buildup of sexual tension between the main pair which reflects their development and growth as a couple. The tension is a slow process with lots of hesitations and interruptions in between. The writing is so engaging that even I, as a reader, shared the frustrations and uncertainty of the characters.

4. WHIRLWIND ROMANCE IN THE WORKS AMIDST AN IMPENDING DOOM
(This may be borderline spoilers, but it’s nothing too big…)

How the pair caught each other’s eyes is relatively straightforward.
How they make a relationship work is the true question.

It’s not a smooth road for the lovebirds. Amidst all the villainous conflicts and encounters, they must attempt to strengthen their romantic relationship. In the context of the narrative, their chance encounter is crucial; pivotal to the impending doom threatening their home regions. The author displays his/her skillful hand in portraying the significance of this romance by incorporating elements from the USUM games.

It’s not about the ‘destined lovers’ trope, but how destiny was made in becoming lovers.

5. IT’S GOT FLUFF, ROMANCE, ACTION, SUSPENSE, AND HUMOR
Obsidian Heart endears readers to Steven and Cynthia’s characters, if not the pairing initially. It builds on that individual endearment until the romance starts to make sense. However, it does not revolve solely on the fluff and romantic side. In fact, this story might even pass as a general fiction! It constantly tries to add a dash of the other genres to spice up its narrative, leaving you with a rollercoaster of sentiments.

You’d be left with the aww’s, uh’s, oh’s, huh’s, heh’s, and ah’s!

Triskelia
11-12-2022

It’s funny; I vaguely recognize this name, almost as if I’ve run into this fic before. Possibly a very, very long time ago. That said, I’ve only begin exploring AO3 very recently and running searches for the name on Bulbagarden, Serebii, and FF.net turn up nothing for me. Must be my memories playing tricks on me, heh. Either that, or perhaps I got this mixed up with another Darksteelshipping fic that existed long ago.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to write this love letter to one of your favorite fics for us! I’m sure that you worked really hard on it, even if it may or may not have actually felt like it to you, haha! It may not convince everyone — I myself am honestly not too attached to this particular ship, even if what the writer apparently accomplished here on a literary level sounds really interesting — but I’m sure that it’ll interest many, and possibly indeed convince some! I just wanted to leave this little response here to let you know that all of your work wasn’t for nothing, in case no one stops by here with a comment of their own later.

Happy future readings!

It’s funny; I vaguely recognize this name, almost as if I’ve run into this fic before. Possibly a very, very long time ago. That said, I’ve only begin exploring AO3 very recently and running searches for the name on Bulbagarden, Serebii, and FF.net turn up nothing for me. Must be my memories playing tricks on me, heh. Either that, or perhaps I got this mixed up with another Darksteelshipping fic that existed long ago.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to write this love letter to one of your favorite fics for us! I’m sure that you worked really hard on it, even if it may or may not have actually felt like it to you, haha! It may not convince everyone — I myself am honestly not too attached to this particular ship, even if what the writer apparently accomplished here on a literary level sounds really interesting — but I’m sure that it’ll interest many, and possibly indeed convince some! I just wanted to leave this little response here to let you know that all of your work wasn’t for nothing, in case no one stops by here with a comment of their own later.

Happy future readings!
Thank you so much! Yes, it may not convince everyone but I'm glad that I got to express my joy in reading this certain fanfic. I'm sure there is someone out there who will stumble on this thread someday!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom