• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I still hate Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3D

Reaction score
Now, every Generation has its haters, but I still don't get Generation III.

For one, the graphics were okay, but there were so many things wrong with it:

I think that the loss of backwards compatibility (and I was not aware of this until I got it) was number one for me. Secondly, was the total non-mentioning of Kanto and Johto. It should have started with 47.

Thirdly, was the complete uselessness of the berries, with the odd Berry glitch and all.

Fourthly, I really despised most of the designs of Pokémon in Generation IV.

The mechanics were all wrong (2-on-2 battles?), and characters looked stupid.

The music was mostly forgettable, too.

Finally, the entire thing was tied in with the e-Reader, which really irritated me, it was like DLC for Pokémon. No thanks.:sweat:

There's probably a thread for this, but did anyone else think that Generation III wasn't so great?

Now, every Generation has its haters, but I still don't get Generation III.

Whats to get?

For one, the graphics were okay, but there were so many things wrong with it:

So do all other games.

I think that the loss of backwards compatibility (and I was not aware of this until I got it) was number one for me. Secondly, was the total non-mentioning of Kanto and Johto. It should have started with 47.

???

Thirdly, was the complete uselessness of the berries, with the odd Berry glitch and all.

Gen I had a glitch that made Psychics immune to Ghost type moves instead of weak to it. That was followed by several more instances of major fuck ups in a single generation.

Fourthly, I really despised most of the designs of Pokémon in Generation IV.

I though we were talking about Gen III.

The mechanics were all wrong (2-on-2 battles?), and characters looked stupid.

Same can be said about any other mechanic added in any generation or about any character.

The music was mostly forgettable, too.

So was Gen I's music.

Finally, the entire thing was tied in with the e-Reader, which really irritated me, it was like DLC for Pokémon. No thanks.:sweat:

Hows that any different from needing a Link Cable to trade anytime.

There's probably a thread for this, but did anyone else think that Generation III wasn't so great?

They do. But other people, including me, also think it was Pokemon's greatest achievement.

Anway, this is more suited for the blogs.

and characters looked stupid.

Could you specify? It is because that in your context makes it appear that it is about the humans, but I do not see anything different about them.

I'd argue, too, but Ranger Jack already pointed everything out. I agree, Gen III was the best thing that could happen to Pokemon. It was about time to give fucking Kanto a break, for serious.

._. But of course, how dare a region have Pokemon from THEIR region in it! We all know that's why the Johto region rocks, because it has NO Johto Pokemon in it! /sarcasm.

And yo, Double Battles are insanely easy to figure out. Two Pokemon fight at a time! @A@ What a complicated process!!1!

And Gen I had WAY more glitches than all the other generations combined. The programming was that fucked up.

I love the region and the music, and the monster designs are nice as well. The only things I hate about Gen III were the Berry Glitch and the terrible rematch system.

To be fair, I didn't play FRLG, so I focused on RS. And not Emerald either. So, more accurately, it's like I didn't like RS.

By Route 47, I realize that Johto did add in a Route 47 later, but I would've liked to see the numbering pick from Johto where it left off, or at least I did in 2003.

And yes, I did mean to write Generation III Pokémon, not IV.

e-Reader wasn't like the link cable, you needed a link cable, e-Reader, and e-Cards.

I never liked Brendan/Ruby/Landon whatever you name him as a character. Admittedly, that is pretty subjective.

However, I did kind of like the fact that your rival isn't a jerk like the other games.

Johto and Kanto are directly linked to each other. Makes sense that the routes are continued.

However, Hoenn is an isolated island. Why would they continue to the numbering of routes from Johto?

Ahh, well, some people have their views, and I have mine.

R/S
It introduced 135 more Pokémon, most of them being awesome (Blaziken, Salamence, Gardevoir, Aggron, Flygon etc.). You could also say some of the Pokémon were rip-offs (who cares) , but remember every generation probably has done just that. The whole Feebas and Milotic being a counterpart to Magikarp and Gyarados , was actually quite different and were well received by some fans , and the fact that Milotic evolved via beauty and not training up. Metagross and Salamence, two Pokémon introduced, but they were pseudo legendaries (other regions usually have 1 pseudo legendaries). The gym leaders were actually carefully designed and I personally thought they were the best set of gym leaders created (some could say, well if you had an open-mind, that Skyla in Unova is a combination Winona and Flannery) . There being a gym leader pair (never done before) , Tate & Liza. The Ice at the water gym, loved the idea of that, but some people hated it. The sea routes. Some dreaded them and some well, urm, dreaded them. The Elite 4 were actually ok and the Champion (Steven) was probably the best in appearance, design-wise and team. The Post E4 story was very short, but you got to get the Regis, and Lati@s. They also had some pretty neat starters, Like Torchic ->Combusken->Blaziken (fire-fighting and Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut.etc). There was also a very fast frame rate. But was later halved in the Gen 4.

Ahh. I have my views. :)

we do have a thread for discussion of the dislike of Gen III in the main forum. check there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom