• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

^ That seems accurate to me, even the region resembles Hoenn in some of its features. If there is a Generation that is 'Kanto-like', I would say this Generation is IV, besides the starters and legendaries, the Pokémon have a certain "Kanto/Johtoness" in their designs.

I also always thought that Gen V, as opposed to Gen VI, was meant to bring older fans back. (myself included, for the most part) I met someone else who played BW when he hadn't played a game since Blue.

That doesn't mean that some people who bought a 3DS wouldn't want to try a "killer app" or a popular franchise they never played before or hadn't played in a long time.

In regards to the rumours of receiving Kanto starter Pokemon in game, I would be surprised if they were available to us anytime before post game. i can not possibly see why GameFreak would want to introduce starter Pokemon of different generations soon after receiving our very own Generation VI starter. It doesn't really make much sense to me, even if others justifyy it as an attempt to bring back older fans, which I believe wouldn't be very successful.

I don't mind either way if we receive starter Pokemon from different regions or not, just as long as they are obtainable post game only.

Actually the leaks Pokebeach has been giving out never really says when you get the kanto starters, just that a professor named Sycamore gives them to you.

If you go to sites Youtube and Facebook, you'll notice a large amount people who ether hasn't played a Pokemon game after gen 3 or think the series have gone downhill with since Gen 4, with the poor sales of White 2 and Black 2, it seems Game Freak is trying to win back those "fans" with X and Y, i mean think about it Mewtwo was brought back for no reason, the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent, and the rumored return of the Kanto starters.

Any thoughts?

Black and White 2 didn't have poor sales.

Yeah, this "B2W2 poor sales" thing made me lol. The sales were pretty good, though B2W2 still sold less than most of the other games in the franchise, if my memory serves me right. I just don't think that is the games' fault, it is more because they were released when the DS was already obsolete and a lot of people were expecting a 3DS Pokémon game.

Anyway, I don't mind this Kanto starter thing, it is just... a bit unfair to those who like starters of other generations. I want a Treecko or a Chimchar in my team, not a Squirtle or Bulbasaur :p

Actually the leaks Pokebeach has been giving out never really says when you get the kanto starters, just that a professor named Sycamore gives them to you.
WPM's source for the so-called leak is MageLeif, who wrote back in February that the starters would be obtainable "pretty early" into the game.

The gen 1 starter rumor came from Pokebeach if there wasn't a good chance of the rumors being true Pokebeach would have never posted them and quite frankly to me bringing back gen 1 starters in a game that isn't a remake seems like an attempt to please genwunners.

I don't think Genwunners would even buy X or Y. Putting starters in the game with the intent to please them would be useless. Putting the starters in there is just a way to help complete the Pokedex. Isn't that why they were in Johto and Hoenn?

In regards to "genwunners", since this thread is likely going to cause more use of it, I'm just going to remind everyone about this: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/bashing-genwunners-145645/ before people get carried away with the topic and forget it exists.

Mewtwo was brought back to tie in with the whole genetics theme that will apparently be the focus of X/Y.

It is ridiculous for me even to think that GF would bother to satisfy those silly close-minded people; Pokémon is as popular as ever, with or without those people.

I don't think that. Since Game Freak hasn't confirmed nor cancelled RSEmakes yet, I don't mind the X and Y will bring back Gen III crowd. For Gen 1/2 crowd, the FRLG/HGSS remake is a no-no, so I doubt Game Freak will bring back some old Pokémon like Pidgey and Jynx (a big controversial issue!). However, I'm still hoping Game Freak won't bring back too many Gen III Pokémon into Kalos Dex (Roselia, Tropius, Absol, Altaria are acceptable, but Lunatone or Sableye? No.).

Actually giving a classic Pokémon a new form (Mewtwo) will get more hate from the old fans than anything else.

Actually giving a classic Pokémon a new form (Mewtwo) will get more hate from the old fans than anything else.

Hence my reaction to it so far. lol.

It's honestly my least favorite of all the Gen VI Pokemon we've got a peek at so far. Hopefully, it'll grow on me, but right now I don't think it has.

With BW2, I think people were just very confused by it, since before we've always had a 'special version', rather than a sequel, and then this happens? I gather quite a few people deigned not to get it because they had weird ideas that a sequel was somehow inferior to a special version, when actually the sequel was kind of better. I mean the special versions are almost literally a replay of the other versions, while the sequel actually had quite a lot of new things in it and a different story altogether. In the future, I wouldn't mind sequels rather than a special version.

I completely agree, B2W2 was (in my opinion) better than BW, and only after finishing the second game (White was first, then I played Black) did I start "liking" (more like tolerating) that generation. B2W2 was actually good, I found it to be better written in terms of storyline, and I appreciated being able to get some of the older pokémon (and I dont care what rationale they used to say it was ok now to have suspiciously rare pokémon from other regions now abundant in this one).

As for the earlier points made, I stopped playing after Gen III came out and only came back 3 years into Gen IV (2010). I loved Gen IV and it's by far one of my favourite generations, with Gen III. And I doubt I'm alone in liking Gen IV, I just think people get too demanding over time and nostalgic of "older" stuff (i.e. Gen I, II). I've been playing since the First Generation came out in Europe and I'm still a fan :) Im sure all of us here are going to keep playing the games for some time despite the changes from Gen to Gen. I doubt it really bothers anyone that much, I played BW in the end.

They already satisfied the older fans with HGSS. If they really really cared about the older fans, RSE remakes should've come first.

They don't care about older fans in that way. But they do seem to be keeping an eye on how the consumers like thir products

I personally hate the New Mewtwo form Gen VI has introduced (my least favorite Pokemon by far of all the Gen VI Pokemon we've got a sneak peek at, most of which I actually like now), personally, and I started from Gen I with the games and anime. My least favorite Gen was IV as well, but I don't think they're trying to win me back. That's just me, though. You may be on to something here. lol. :sweatlol:
Gen 4 was good imo.

It never really clicked with me as much as the others gens have. Though it could be moreso because of my disappointment with the Gen 4 anime that transferred over to the games, IMO. I know Gen 5 has been the worst received yet, though, but I've enjoyed it more than Gen 4 myself so far.

I must agree. Gen 4 was definitely my least favorite (at least DP. HGSS was good). I've enjoyed Gen 5 pretty well.

I personally hate the New Mewtwo form Gen VI has introduced (my least favorite Pokemon by far of all the Gen VI Pokemon we've got a sneak peek at, most of which I actually like now), personally, and I started from Gen I with the games and anime. My least favorite Gen was IV as well, but I don't think they're trying to win me back. That's just me, though. You may be on to something here. lol. :sweatlol:
Gen 4 was good imo.

It never really clicked with me as much as the others gens have. Though it could be moreso because of my disappointment with the Gen 4 anime that transferred over to the games, IMO. I know Gen 5 has been the worst received yet, though, but I've enjoyed it more than Gen 4 myself so far.

I must agree. Gen 4 was definitely my least favorite (at least DP. HGSS was good). I've enjoyed Gen 5 pretty well.

Same here. I also enjoyed HGSS, but something about DP just didn't click with me like the other generations have. I've also enjoyed Gen 5 a lot as well.

Of course, it's all a matter of preference, though. :)

Generation 2 was actually my least favorite, therefore enjoying HGSS was a bit hard for me, specially because a lot of the problems in GSC weren't fixed in HGSS. I enjoyed Diamond a lot more than the aforementioned games. Nonetheless, Gen 5 is without a doubt superior to Gen 4, at least as far as my opinion goes.

If they are, then it's a terrible attempt. A few older pokémon aren't going to bring back people who have already outgrown the franchise or are completely dissatisfied with the direction the series took. Their best bets in this regard are remakes.

Am I the only one here who kind of agrees with Macromaster?
To me, it doesn't seem like they are trying to win back the Gen I fans that have already left the franchise, but they do seem like they are definitely trying to please the Gen I-III fans that are still part of the fandom.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom