• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Including Pidgey and Zigzagoon are positive moves in general. We don't need a new version of them every few years, that just adds more punching bags into the game when nobody really cares if the first bird they encounter is Pidgey or Pidove.

Let's hope Zubat is in the game as well. We don't need another annoying cave bat, there is already a pokemon that was created solely for that reason. Was Woobat not MORE annoying simply for the sake that it was a new annoying cave bat besides the Zubat we expected and were thus acclimated to hating on a low level?

I have always said that these kind of pokemon should be reused every generation.

I would rather run into new annoying cave Pokemon every generation than having to run into Zubat every single Pokemon title. It would be a total nightmare, only running into Zubat in every single region, it wouldn't be any fun at all.

Last edited:
If you go to sites Youtube and Facebook, you'll notice a large amount people who ether hasn't played a Pokemon game after gen 3 or think the series have gone downhill with since Gen 4, with the poor sales of White 2 and Black 2, it seems Game Freak is trying to win back those "fans" with X and Y, i mean think about it Mewtwo was brought back for no reason, the Pidgey and Zigzagoon evolutionary lines are in the Kalos pokedex which is odd for a regional bird and rodent, and the rumored return of the Kanto starters.

Any thoughts?

Don't lump gen 3 with the gen 1-2 crowd, a lot of the gen 1-2 people disliked gen 3 a lto more then any other region.

Anyway no I don't think they are, its just people that see WOOOOOO iz tridi naw, wanz jump on bandwagon, a lot of people came back last region because of the change of continent, completelly new dex, etc people were making the same argument you are doing last region.

Its just the new features are a big advancement in the series in terms of technology and a lot of old people and probably new ones will swarm because of that, as far as I'm concerned thats good more games will be sold :D.

Don't lump gen 3 with the gen 1-2 crowd, a lot of the gen 1-2 people disliked gen 3 a lto more then any other region.

Most of those people are just people who fell out of Pokemon after the fad ended though. Really the complaints about Gen III were really mostly that you couldn't trade over your old Pokemon and the excessive water routes.

Most of those people are just people who fell out of Pokemon after the fad ended though. Really the complaints about Gen III were really mostly that you couldn't trade over your old Pokemon and the excessive water routes.

And the limited dex that could only be expanded when FR LG came out and you needing to have a gamecube if you wanted to finish the dex.

Again, there is a Gen 1-2 crowd and the people like me that have stood for all the generations, then there are always people that like you said fell out of pokemon but that happens every region.

The facts are all here, an evil team whose goal is to get money like team rocket, kanto starter pokemon being availible before the E4, and the fact that most of all the gameplay trailers feature gen 6 pokemon faceing gen 1-2 pokemon more than the ones form gen 3-5,

Theres no doubt anymore, Game Freak are certainly trying to win back their lost fans.

I still don't think that those elements are indicative of anything. We still don't know that much about Team Flare so they could have more differences from Team Rocket and the Pokemon being used in the trailers could have just been chosen at random.

Gamefreak has no reason to try to get back old fans when there are still old and new fans alike who will get the games.

The facts are all here, an evil team whose goal is to get money like team rocket, kanto starter pokemon being availible before the E4, and the fact that most of all the gameplay trailers feature gen 6 pokemon faceing gen 1-2 pokemon more than the ones form gen 3-5,

Theres no doubt anymore, Game Freak are certainly trying to win back their lost fans.

What lost fans do you speak of?

Gen IV has sold more than Gen III and sold almost as much as Gen II.* Gen V has already surpassed Gen III, albeit with an extra game, and is slowly creeping up on II and IV.

Sales numbers do not indicate a significant drop off in fan base.

*Numbers do not include FR, LG, HG, or SS.

I still don't think that those elements are indicative of anything. We still don't know that much about Team Flare so they could have more differences from Team Rocket and the Pokemon being used in the trailers could have just been chosen at random.

Gamefreak has no reason to try to get back old fans when there are still old and new fans alike who will get the games.

Even if Team Flair goal isn't about money. the evidence is still there while there is no reason for Game Freak to try and bring back the lost fans , the fact that Mewtwo has a new form, gen 1 pokemons are being heavily showcased as much as the gen 6 pokemons, and the kanto starters are being shoehorn into the game pre-E4 for absolutely no reason suggest that they are in fact trying to do so.

What lost fans do you speak of?

Gen IV has sold more than Gen III and sold almost as much as Gen II.* Gen V has already surpassed Gen III, albeit with an extra game, and is slowly creeping up on II and IV.

Sales numbers do not indicate a significant drop off in fan base.

*Numbers do not include FR, LG, HG, or SS.

a major of people who haven't played a single game since Yellow and even Gold and silver has regain interest in x and y and it's obvious based on how heavily gen 1-2 pokemon are being showcased in recent trailers that Game Freak are trying to bring them back

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Team Flair goal isn't about money. the evidence is still there while there is no reason for Game Freak to try and bring back the lost fans , the fact that Mewtwo has a new form, gen 1 pokemons are being heavily showcased as much as the gen 6 pokemons, and the kanto starters are being shoehorn into the game pre-E4 for absolutely no reason suggest that they are in fact trying to do so.

It really doesn't. I don't see how Mewtwo having a new form or simply showing gen 1 pokemon are ways of getting back old fans. Games from gens 4 and 5 also included pokemon from previous generations. The Kanto starters rumor hasn't been confirmed and there isn't much known about it, so there very well could be an important reason as for them being given out early in the games.

Besides there is no guarantee that older fans would even get the games just because they include older pokemon or have other elements similar to the older games.

a major of people who haven't played a single game since Yellow and even Gold and silver has regain interest in x and y and it's obvious based on how heavily gen 1-2 pokemon are being showcased in recent trailers that Game Freak are trying to bring them back

How do you know that? As far as I know, people who haven't played since Gold or Silver aren't looking at X or Y. And they've arguably shown more Gen 5 Pokemon than Gen 1-2 Pokemon in the trailers.

All of my childhood and teenage friends who played Pokémon with me during the Gen I-II days stopped playing when Gen III came. NONE of them are coming back for Pokémon XY, and even outside my social circle, I've seen no Genwunners who wish to come back to the franchise. It's just you seeing things when there is nothing, a.k.a. conspiracy theory.

Actually, it is the other way around: most old fans complain that Pokémon is "more of the same" and that the franchise doesn't evolve. Bringing the games back to the early iterations, instead of putting enphasis on new features to show that the franchsie has indeed evovled would further scare them off, so I don't see why some callbacks might be the games' big attempt at regaining old fans. It's just that: a nice callback and nothing more.

Last edited:
The funny thing is I remember someone making a thread just like this for Generation V. I didn't think they were trying to win back the crowd back then, and I don't think so now either. It's all about the target audience.

And they've arguably shown more Gen 5 Pokemon than Gen 1-2 Pokemon in the trailers.

Oh really?

Gen 5: Zoroark Haxorus, Hydreigon, Axew, Audino

Gen 1:Machamp, Snorlax, Tauros, Gyarados, Mewtwo, Charizard, Zubat, Golem, Dratini, Dragonite, Pikachu

The funny thing is I remember someone making a thread just like this for Generation V. I didn't think they were trying to win back the crowd back then, and I don't think so now either. It's all about the target audience.

This. And the target audience is the kids, not the older fans that have outgrown the franchise.

You guys can believe what you want but as i already said, the evidence is there in plain sight, gen 1 pokemon and themes are getting more exposure now than when FRLG and HGSS came out.

And they've arguably shown more Gen 5 Pokemon than Gen 1-2 Pokemon in the trailers.

Oh really?

Gen 5: Zoroark Haxorus, Hydreigon, Axew, Audino

Gen 1:Machamp, Snorlax, Tauros, Gyarados, Mewtwo, Charizard, Zubat, Golem, Dratini, Dragonite, Pikachu

Druddigon, Patrat, Krookodile, Meinfoo, Pansear, Genesect, Litwick and Palpitoad was in a statue.

Mewtwo's new form isn't technically from Gen 1.

black-guy-star-trek-facepalm-gif.gif

You know what? I give up. You people keep missing my point -___-

If they actually are (which is unlikely), then Game Freak is being idiotic.
Older fans don't even look at Pokemon anymore. Why would they keep up on the latest Pokemon news? I doubt that they would care.

black-guy-star-trek-facepalm-gif.gif

You know what? I give up. You people keep missing my point -___-

No we're not. We get your point... except you have no point, or at least no evidence (seeing you saying that it is "in plain sight" is just hilarious) to back up said point. The only thing in favor of your theory is the many old Pokémon used in advertising and old Pokémon getting new evolutions, but both have been done every freaking generation except Gen V.

If anything, the heavy use of older Pokémon is to distinguish the new games from Gen V whose gimmick was that they had no older Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom