• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

...I seriously hope that bolding there was a typo because leaving out many Gen 3 pokemon isn't going to win back any Gen 3 fans.

Speaking of which...

I grew up with pokemon ever since Gen 1, and I'm part of the 'Gen 3 crowd' because when my peers started leaving pokemon, I fell in love with the Hoenn region all over and stayed with Gen 3 for a long time. It breaks my heart to hear that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are getting the worst treatment ever in the Pokemon franchise with no direct connections to the other games, no remakes, much less a mention, only the Golems, the Eon siblings, and the double Champions appearing once in a while to remind us that Hoenn exists somewhere and even when people talk about Gen 3, all they seem to remember is FRLG - everyone's favorite friggin KANTO.

I don't know why Hoenn is getting the cold shoulder. Hoenn was where abilities first appeared. Hoenn was where berry-farming first started. Hoenn was where double battles and tag battles started. Contests? Diving? The Battle Frontier? The friggin EV berries everyone loves? They all originated from HOENN. And people only think that FRLG is the only Gen 3 game out there. Hoenn EXISTS. RSE EXISTS, and it's more than thanks to HOENN that competitive playing exists, for god's sake!!

Sorry for the rant, but Hoenn is just being "conveniently" left out from everywhere, even when people talk about Gen 3 and nostslgia, Hoenn is almost never touched upon. GF isn't doing anything much to win back the HOENN fans.

Well, you have to remember that originally the reason gen 1 and 2 got remakes was because they weren't compatible with gen 3 onwards. They had to be remade so people could trade. Technically, R/S/E do not need remakes as they don't have compatibility issues. If they were to be remade, it would solely be for the aesthetic changes. And with the graphic overhaul they are doing with gen 6, basically all previous generations need remade if aesthetics is the only reason to remake them which I doubt GameFreak would be willing to do (would be pretty snazzy if they did). Now don't get me wrong, I love gen 3 (either my favorite or a very chose second after G/S/C) so I'm sure as hell rooting for some Hoenn love this gen.

For issues, when I say Gen 3, note that I am referring to RSE the HOENN games, not FRLG. I don't feel the need to talk about Kanto here when they were already featured in HGSS not too long ago.

Technically, yes, they can still connect to the DS for migrating, but eventually, there will be a time when Hoenn will be the last region left out. Also, Gen 3 is already the last region that can't use any of the features that were included in the game since Gen 4.

Like I said before, most of what we take for granted while playing the game nowadays have been introduced in Hoenn - a region that's already under-appreciated like hell. Hoenn was the first to enable us to play competitively by allowing us to change EVs using berries and introducing abilities and nature. I'm not saying the region should be worshipped like Arceus. It needs recognition in some way, and they fact GF is just leaving Hoenn to fade away from people's memories, it's heartbreaking. As a personal Gen 3 - read, Hoenn - fan, this is plain disappointing. Yes, I like how the Ralts family is confirmed to be in the Kalos region (Kirlia appeared in the demo battle clip), but of course I'd love more Hoenn promoting features.

Please note that I neither disagree with you nor did I ever mention FR/LG. I was just stating how the remakes came to be, and why R/S/E has yet to receive said treatment.

People; the reason they made FR/LG and HG/SS was to make money!

If they feel that R/S/E remakes will be profitable, they will make them. (I am by no means saying it's a 100% certainty--but still, those are not going to be valid reasons.)

If they feel that R/S/E remakes will be profitable, they will make them. (I am by no means saying it's a 100% certainty--but still, those are not going to be valid reasons.)

There was more to it than just profit. They had to remake Kanto and Johto. Since Pokemon Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald all could not connect with past games, GameFreak needed to remake Red and Green, Gold and Silver, so that we all had the opportunity to obtain all the POkemon and complete the Pokedex once more.

Considering we don't NEED another remake in order to obtain what we were once missing, there are no guarantees if there will be remakes of the Hoenn region or not. It is possible, and if it does happen, it will be solely for the purpose of pleasing the fans and making a good profit.

There was more to it than just profit. They had to remake Kanto and Johto. Since Pokemon Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald all could not connect with past games, GameFreak needed to remake Red and Green, Gold and Silver, so that we all had the opportunity to obtain all the POkemon and complete the Pokedex once more.

Considering we don't NEED another remake in order to obtain what we were once missing, there are no guarantees if there will be remakes of the Hoenn region or not. It is possible, and if it does happen, it will be solely for the purpose of pleasing the fans and making a good profit.

Hoenn forever forgotten.... D:

Gamefreak dont give a dam about us older fans you think bringing back mewtwo was a good thing ? find me 1 gen1 fan who actually likes the form ill be in shock. All gamefreak care about is gathering more 10 year olds to their depleting fan base.

Gamefreak dont give a dam about us older fans you think bringing back mewtwo was a good thing ? find me 1 gen1 fan who actually likes the form ill be in shock. All gamefreak care about is gathering more 10 year olds to their depleting fan base.

I like Mewtwo's new forme and I've been a fan since the beginning. I always liked it's design, although I was hoping it was a new Pokemon rather than a new forme, before it was officially announced.

Me. I've watched the anime since Gen 1 and played the videogames since 2003. I'll admit the new Mewtwo form was quite odd at first, but it grew on me. I would have preferred Mewthree, but I don't hate what we got. I think it's fine and I kinda like it.

As for Ruby n Sapphire remakes, I really want them. Sapphire was my first Pokemon game ever. I'd love to play them, especially with Hoenn being remade in 3D visuals a la XY. I think we'll get the RS remakes in 2015, if I had to guess. It may be coincidence, but LGFR were 8 years after the originals, HGSS were 10 years, and R?S? may be 12 years after (2015).

Also, I've seen many people say that the remake pattern was broken. They say since Gen 5 didn't see the remakes of Gen 3, that the pattern of remaking games after 2 Pokemon generations is moot. This I can agree with. However, the pattern of making remakes after 2 CONSOLE generations is still alive and well which could suggest RS remakes on the 3DS which is 2 console gens after the GBA.

Last edited:
It may be coincidence, but LGFR were 8 years after the originals, HGSS were 10 years, and R?S? may be 12 years after (2015).
Also, I've seen many people say that the remake pattern was broken. They say since Gen 5 didn't see the remakes of Gen 3, that the pattern of remaking games after 2 Pokemon generations is moot. This I can agree with. However, the pattern of making remakes after 2 CONSOLE generations is still alive and well which could suggest RS remakes on the 3DS which is 2 console gens after the GBA.

I've discovered both patterns you mentioned myself, and they are what give me hope that RS remakes can still happen!

making pokemon into a 3d game is a huge step that fans from red and blue have wanted. I still feel its going to be cheaply done with pokemon animations from pokemon stadium re used again like they did in coliseum i think the reason they did not make a pokemon stadium game for gen 5 was because they already knew they were making this game.

I also think they finally realized that the amount of pokemon in the game is too many and to waist time making 3d models for another rodent starter and bird starter is just a un needed waist of time considering people don't use them. I still think the best game was gold / silver and that added the least pokemon and you met so many old favorites just randomly rather than only finding new ones people don't like.

Just want to add new mewtwo form sucks hard Mewtwo lost his genetic freak look that made him kick ass the thing on his head is stupid looking. The old pipe to his neck made sense to give him more blood vessels to his brain to enhance his psychic power. Now they made a bad ass looking super pokemon into one of the lame looking pansy pokemon of today. He looks like something from gen 3/4 and imo gen 3/4 had the worst looking Pokemon in the games history. But i don't care i wont be using it.

After my rant it wouldn't look too bad without its head thing

Last edited:
making pokemon into a 3d game is a huge step that fans from red and blue have wanted. I still feel its going to be cheaply done with pokemon animations from pokemon stadium re used again like they did in coliseum i think the reason they did not make a pokemon stadium game for gen 5 was because they already knew they were making this game.

I also think they finally realized that the amount of pokemon in the game is too many and to waist time making 3d models for another rodent starter and bird starter is just a un needed waist of time considering people don't use them. I still think the best game was gold / silver and that added the least pokemon and you met so many old favorites just randomly rather than only finding new ones people don't like.

Not everyone dislikes the newer Pokemon. And I believe GameFreak needed to upgrade to 3D models. Keeping their games as sprites forever would begin to have GameFreak lose sales, especially when they've reached technology advanced enough to have 3D capabilities. It doesn't look cheaply done in the trailers, it looks quite good. I'm very happy with how it has turned out and cannot wait to experience Pokemon X and Y.

Not everyone dislikes the newer Pokemon. And I believe GameFreak needed to upgrade to 3D models. Keeping their games as sprites forever would begin to have GameFreak lose sales, especially when they've reached technology advanced enough to have 3D capabilities. It doesn't look cheaply done in the trailers, it looks quite good. I'm very happy with how it has turned out and cannot wait to experience Pokemon X and Y.

I'd agree with you. Many Pokémon fans, especially hardcore/true Pokémon fans like all Pokémon, including the new ones. I'd also like them all, whatever design or anything else. I believe every Pokémon fans like newer Pokémon.

I'd agree with you. Many Pokémon fans, especially hardcore/true Pokémon fans like all Pokémon, including the new ones. I'd also like them all, whatever design or anything else. I believe every Pokémon fans like newer Pokémon.

Not that everyone has to like EVERY new Pokemon, however like you, I'm sure many older fans enjoy new Pokemon. I don't enjoy every Pokemon I admit, but I don't hate any Pokemon, and there are plenty of new Pokemon that I love. And I'd definitely rather encounter more new Pokemon in new regions than older Pokemon in new regions, otherwise what would be the point?? Why should GameFreak create new regions and just have all the older Pokemon running around?? They might as well just create sequels and new games set in old regions instead of making new regions if that were the case. I'm in a new region, I want to se the new Pokemon.

i don't hate new pokemon i hate how they took a classic icon from the red and blue era that everyone from the red / blue /gold /silver days loved and changed it into something that looks daft. Its like taking Donkey Kong and changing him from a gorilla to a baboon. Personally after pikachu i think Mewtwo was the biggest icon of pokemon if not at least for red blue gold and silver players it was. And i am not saying all new pokemon are bad gen 5 had some good artwork. ludicolo and Aggron are some of my personal favorites. but every gen the art for pokemon seems to change and i don't like some of them mainly from gen 3 and 4.

Many Pokémon fans, especially hardcore/true Pokémon fans like all Pokémon, including the new ones

That has to be some of the biggest load of tripe i have ever read.

but every gen the art for pokemon seems to change and i don't like some of them mainly from gen 3 and 4.

Change always happens, for the better or the worst. It's inevitable. Look at anything else that's lasted for over FIFTEEN years, the final product is a lot different from the original, some argue that it's better, some that it's worst.

However, no matter what, if they don't change at all, it will be even worse, because there would be no more interest. GameFreak can't just use Future Sight, they don't know for sure if all the fans will or won't like a Pokemon they design, but the point is not to make everyone like it, it's to make it like-able. I dislike a lot of Pokemon designs too, but there are other people for whom those Pokemon are their favourite. I'm sure that is the case with the Pokemon you dislike too.

The point is, change always happens. You just have to learn how to accept it.

Edit: Also:
Many Pokémon fans, especially hardcore/true Pokémon fans like all Pokémon, including the new ones

That has to be some of the biggest load of tripe i have ever read.

Think about it logically, if you're a "hardcore" fan of any franchise, you would have to like everything about said franchise. And, being a hardcore fan doesn't mean you have to love every Pokemon, but at least except them and appreciate the efforts that were put into them.

That is all.

Last edited:
When I first heard that we were getting X and Y and not a RSE remake, I was caught off guard, but not so much because these two games were going to be in 3D. My immediate response was, "Oh, their next games are Ruby and Sapphire- in 3D."

So for all you gen-3 fans, have hope. I'm not a game designer, but I think it is safe to say making X and Y and adding more pokemon is time consuming considering the new 3D graphics and battles, which in my opinion is why it was announced X and Y are going to have a smaller number of original pokemon then the previous gens. That, combined with approaching around 1000 mons, is probably going to encourage Game Freak to slow down and make a few games after X and Y to refine their graphics and gameplay before continuing to introduce new gens. Unless the new gen games are estimated bring in much more money.

A 3D RSE remake will give players the option to return to a nostalgic region and game with advanced and new features, while saving Game Freak the task of starting completely anew.

Also, I think it's fairly clear that Nintendo aims to market pokemon continuously towards children, and not adults, which the original 10 year oldish fans now are. I.e. the pokemon merchandise and anime. Or, at least they draw on distinctly Japanese interests, which tend to be more infantile and cute then America.

And @ the Original Poster- No offense but, Just what exactly is that GIF?

Last edited:

Here, Gen I fan. Watched the anime via bootlegs since late 1997 and bought Red Version upon release back in 1998, and I freaking love Mewtwo's new forme :)

Although yeah, I agree with the last part, Game Freak's priority are the kids, which is logical given that the games are meant to be for kids, they're the intended demographic. GF couldn't care less about the older fans, as we are the minority.

And that's precisely why they're not trying to win 'back' anyone. They simply don't need it.

I've been a fan since Yellow and I love Mewtwo's new forme I also think it's a good way to introduce an old pokemon to a new generation of kids
Also, their fanbase isn't depleting by ANY means the fanbase is healthy and strong and will stay that way for a while =)

I'd wager Mewtwo's new form is, as said, simply reintroducing an old Pokemon in a new way, or at most a small bone thrown at longtime fans. Fact of the matter is that GameFreak doesn't need to cater to old fans - old fans don't make up the majority of the consumer base, young children do.

Well honestly RSE games are getting hard to find and I doubt many people have an old DSphat/lite so Gen III p,us only FR/LG was made to get Pokemon available HG/SS were done only for profit you could get every Gen II Pokemon already (except Celibi maybe) between FR/LG, Collo/XD, and D/P/Pt

Including Pidgey and Zigzagoon are positive moves in general. We don't need a new version of them every few years, that just adds more punching bags into the game when nobody really cares if the first bird they encounter is Pidgey or Pidove.

Let's hope Zubat is in the game as well. We don't need another annoying cave bat, there is already a pokemon that was created solely for that reason. Was Woobat not MORE annoying simply for the sake that it was a new annoying cave bat besides the Zubat we expected and were thus acclimated to hating on a low level?

I have always said that these kind of pokemon should be reused every generation.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom