• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

This guy makes some good points, game freak needs to try harder to make x and y appeal to genwunners in order to save the series because after that train that is black and white sales are going down fast.

[video=youtube;q7LOdCVSdV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LOdCVSdV8[/video]

It seems you missed the video's whole point. The video is not about appealing to Genwunners and bring back lost fans, but about appealing to anyone in order not to lose fans. Furthermore, the series doen't need to be 'saved' at all, it's not like Pokémon games don't sell anymore, they sttill have solid sales. Finally, that video's whole point is that the series is going stale (and indeed, many points the video makes are true), when your own point is exactly the opposite (GF is bringing back old features to lure back old fans), so your evidence contradicts your thesis and therefore, your post don't make sense.

After reading the first few posts of this thread, I'm pretty content in saying that GF is kind of more concerned about the money...but then again, they do give the fans what they want, right? Like...I've always had the perspective that GF kind of bends over backwards in a sense for their fans, but as far as the old Gen 1-3 crowds go, I'm sure "winning them over" isn't so much a priority at this point, though if they do happen to be re-attached to the games because of the old Gen Pokemon being in it, then I suppose that's a plus more than anything.

Hope this makes sense. @_@

Lol, nope~

I have indeed heard that people seem to think the new designs are more like the old pokémon and... I disagree, they all look like pokémon to me, I NEVER understood the complaint that GenIII-GenV designs looked like ''robots'' or ''digimon'', pretty much all of the newer designs are actually more creative than the old ones, IMHO, but that aside, giving Mewtwo a new form would, and is, angering its old fans, and I don't think people who have quit the series, mostly for stupid shit, but that's beside the point, would go back for X and Y any more than they did for B/W.

That fact that only two gen 4 pokemon are getting mega forms and no pokemon from gen 5 are getting any is another sign that nintendo is trying to bring back fans they lost when DP came out.

We by no means have a complete list of which pokemon will and won't be getting mega forms, so you have absolutely no evidence upon which to base that assumption. And if we do end up seeing more pokemon from older generations getting mega forms, there's a completely reasonable explanation for it. We've had those pokemon for years. A lot of them have become forgotten particularly due to the power creep of recent generations. Mega forms rejuvenate our ideas of those pokemon. Newer generation pokemon are still fresher in our minds and don't need to be reinvented or tweaked as much.

And new forms are hardly a way to get estranged fans into the game. Tarnishing the image of some of their favorite original pokemon isn't going to win anyone over.

Stop regurgitating the same fatuous argument in every thread. It's gotten very old. It's not pandering, it's never been pandering, and it never will be pandering.

That fact that only two gen 4 pokemon are getting mega forms and no pokemon from gen 5 are getting any is another sign that nintendo is trying to bring back fans they lost when DP came out.

Pokémon getting Mega Evolutions so far:

Gen I: Kanghaskhan, Mewtwo. Total: 2.
Gen II: Ampharos. Total: 1.
Gen III: Blaziken, Absol, Mawile. Total: 3.
Gen IV: Lucario: Total: 1.

Overall, All Generations have 1 to 3 Mega Pokémon shown, there is no big difference. Not to mention, being how conservative Genwunners are, old Pokémon receiving new, gimmicky evolution methods is even worse for them. If GF realy wanted to cater to old fans, they would have given those Pokémon proper evolutions instead of just forms that ressemble Digimon (Genwunner's bane) in concept and design, so no, you're just distorting EVERYTHING into a "OMGZ they did it for old fanz!!!1" argument that has no logic anymore.

Plus, what GreatLiver said.

Did BW2 have poor sales? i didnt know that. Does anybody have the numbers? Also, i just see genwnners complaining about new mega evos, so game freak is really silly if theyre trying to win back genwnners.

So what I want to know is....when did Gen III start being lumped in with I and II? It's not as if there was any big divide in the previous generations.

Ok so the kanto starters are available early inngame and they get mega evolutions and mewtwo gets two mega evolutions and is most likely available ingame. You guys can blindly denied it and call me troll all you want but these pokemon are being more overglorified now than went FRLG and HGSS came out, Gamefreak is in fact trying to bring back lost fans.

So what I want to know is....when did Gen III start being lumped in with I and II? It's not as if there was any big divide in the previous generations.
Gen 4 turned off alot of people from the series, people are saying pokemon has gone downhill since dp, its depressing that Gamefreak are actually trying to appeal to these douchebags.

Gen 4 turned off alot of people from the series, people are saying pokemon has gone downhill since dp, its depressing that Gamefreak are actually trying to appeal to these douchebags.

No, see, I remember Gen IV. People were also saying that it brought back fans that had left the series. I've met people who had come back to Pokemon in Gen IV, which makes this post all the more accurate.

I'm wondering, how long have you actually been active in the online fandom? And judging from talk from even more senior members on these forums, the forums became busier again after Gen IV began.

No, see, I remember Gen IV. People were also saying that it brought back fans that had left the series. I've met people who had come back to Pokemon in Gen IV, which makes this post all the more accurate.

I'm wondering, how long have you actually been active in the online fandom? And judging from talk from even more senior members on these forums, the forums became busier again after Gen IV began.

I'll admit I was out of the Pokémon loop for awhile after Gen III came to an end. I did eventually jump back on in Gen IV not too long before Platinum released with Pearl. Fans going Gen I > Gen II > Gen III >break> Gen IV is accurate from my point of view. I think generally everyone has a Gen that they skip be it on purpose or not. My gf for example completely missed Gen IV and jumped back on in Gen V, but did play Gen III.

I personally don't see Gens I/II being grouped with III, but I can understand it if some people do. I think a lot of people got Gen III expecting a return to Kanto in-game and being able to trade Pokémon forward like Gen I to II. I feel like when people found out that wasn't the case they probably started to jump off the Pokémon map for a bit, until nostalgia and the excitement of a whole new batch of Pokémon brought them back in.

Ok so the kanto starters are available early inngame and they get mega evolutions and mewtwo gets two mega evolutions and is most likely available ingame. You guys can blindly denied it and call me troll all you want but these pokemon are being more overglorified now than went FRLG and HGSS came out, Gamefreak is in fact trying to bring back lost fans.

We're not blindly denying anything, you're just making assumptions, which are inaccurate, considering Gamefreak's main target audience is and always will be the younger audience that newly join the series. If anything, all the older Pokemon is a way to give the newer fans a taste of the past, not attempt to bring back new fans.

Speculate all you want, however don't claim it as fact until you have evidence. Until Gamefreak says they are, you've no proof, only speculations.

If wasn't trying to bring back lost fans they would've stick the Kanto starters and Mewtwo post game but their not, of all the Pokemon seen from all the x and y trailers most of them were from gen 1, gave my evidence over a dozen times in this thread, but all of you refusing to believe it.

I fail to see how very minor appearances in trailers and Mewtwo being heavily featured recently is evidence.

Mewtwo is heavily promoted at the moment because of its recent appearance in the 16th Movie.

Besides, even if they were appealing to fans who haven't played the games in a while, there's nothing really wrong with that.

Besides, even if they were appealing to fans who haven't played the games in a while, there's nothing really wrong with that.

So your saying there nothing wrong with Gamefreak catering to people who rip on gen 4 and 5? These are the same people who are saying x and y is the best pokemon games since RSE, gamefreak is succeeding in bringing back these old fans which pisses me off because these aren't really fans of Pokemon

im starting to lose more and more intrest for gen 6 due to gamefreak try to win back an undedicated fan base, im still going to buy the game though.

So your saying there nothing wrong with Gamefreak catering to people who rip on gen 4 and 5? These are the same people who are saying x and y is the best pokemon games since RSE, gamefreak is succeeding in bringing back these old fans which pisses me off because these aren't really fans of Pokemon

there's nothing wrong about that, they're trying to make a product that appeals to older fans and also gaining new fans. Besides, what is it to you if people didnt play of like gen IV and V? that doesn't necessarily make them any less of a fan than you. and it shouldn't piss you off that people who "aren't really fans" (according to you) will play the game, you know? i dont see why that could even matter to you or anyone-

They're a business. They cater to whoever it is that'll buy their game. And who the fuck are you to say who is or isn't a fan. You don't have to wank over every game in the franchise to be considered some bullshit true fan.

Give it a rest, and just let this thread die. If you want to bitch, take it to vp where people'll eat this bait up.

dave_shaking_head_no.gif

Why am i even bothering to argue with you guys? you just going to ignore the facts i gave you and reply with some witty comeback in an attempt to shoot me and gain post likes in the process.

I've read the entire thread, and here's the conclusion:

1. GameFreak's main target audience AND consumers are CHILDREN. The new generation of kids. Anyone who is not an idiot should know this.

2. GameFreak is aware of the older players still buying their products. YES they are aware - but like I said, the older players are NOT the target audience. How would they be aware? Just chalk up some consumers reports or sales charts and go to some competitive battling tournaments - they'll know the older players are sticking with them.

*note: I said older players - NOT people who moved on from pokemon.

3. The re-introduction of older pokemons and/or older characters have two objectives to serve in marketing
- introducing the new kids that there are pokemon that existed even before they were born, and filling in gaps of stories whenever a mention on another region/some old plot comes up.
- a nice, nostalgic shout out to the older players who still buy GameFreak's products. This is simply a bonus - a side dish; nothing less, nothing more.

4. IF by some nostalgic factor some older fans who left the franchise DOES come back, then it's extra money. HOWEVER, this is not their main objective.

5. Sum up: GameFreak's number one reason to advertise the older pokemons and give them new forms and/or features are to introduce them to the new kids who may or may not be familiar with them, and fill in the missing gaps they have not experienced. Simultaneously, this becomes a nice shout out to the older consumers who have been faithfully buying GameFreak's products (whether it is intentional or not I do not know, but given they are aware of older consumers, there may be a portion of intentional reasons). It is only after THEN they may hopefully gain some consumers from the past - but this is a very small number even compared to those who are stuck with GameFreak's products since forever. The comeback of old players are not of their concern - if they buy their products, great. If not, fine.

6. Final conclusion: GameFreak is NOT trying to win back the older fans who left the franchise a long time ago. This is for certain.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom