• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think Game Freak is trying to win back the Gen 1-3 crowd?

Mewtwo in M16 is an entirely different entity to the one that appears in M1. The female voice actress was chosen to help create this difference, not the other way around. If Mewtwo is male in the M16 dub then that's a different matter altogether. That's a case of bad choice on TPCi's behalf, not the franchise in general.

Mega evolutions don't ruin anything. They are entirely optional. The original Pokemon you seem to love so much are still in the game. Just don't use their mega evolutions. It isn't hard. No-one is forcing you to use them. Want to battle competitively without using them? Then stick in tiers where mega evolutions don't present a huge issue.

Nintendo don't care about old fans, one of them even laughed at a guy when he asked about a potential Majoras Mask remake.

Oh my god. Seriously? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're kidding. Please.

When Eiji Aonuma is tossed as simply "one of them" as if he were a random employee, then this guy is either a troll or... something I cannot say for I'd be punished by the mods and admins.

Sigh... Yes, they totally did megaevolutions because they hate 'genwunners' and want to wreck the games for you. Sure.

I'mma just go over here now.

No they did Mega Evolutions as they've grown lazy and complacent, they wrecked the designs of favourites such as Mewtwo, to anger Genwunners.
They took the most awesome Pokemon from Gen 1 and took out its cool and made it a girly looking alien. They even made it a woman in the film, which also you know completely ignored the real Mewtwo and tried to retcon him from existence. It's about mocking us, and our memories, remember we were supposed to forget about the GS Ball and Porygon.
I can already see them at Gamefreak:
Junichi Masuda : You know what we should in Gen 6? Create Mega Evolutions to piss off Genwunners, that'll teach them.
Ken Sugimori: That's a great idea! Let's make them cry and we should feed on their tears as we destroy the designs of Gen 1 pokemons.
Everybody in the room: Muahahahahahahaha! We are evil!

Are you for real???

First of all,I find it very amusing watching you complain about all the terrible things Gamefreak is doing, and yet here you still are.

Second of all, your opinion is highly subjective. I for one find mega evolutions a great idea. It gives us yet another way of battling, and forming strategies, which is wildly appreciated by many Pokemon fans.
Was your post directed at me or at Genwunner? Because i really like mega evolution and i think it's a good adition to the series.

Sigh... Yes, they totally did megaevolutions because they hate 'genwunners' and want to wreck the games for you. Sure.

No they did Mega Evolutions as they've grown lazy and complacent, they wrecked the designs of favourites such as Mewtwo, to anger Genwunners.
They took the most awesome Pokemon from Gen 1 and took out its cool and made it a girly looking alien. They even made it a woman in the film, which also you know completely ignored the real Mewtwo and tried to retcon him from existence. It's about mocking us, and our memories, remember we were supposed to forget about the GS Ball and Porygon.
Junichi Masuda : You know what we should in Gen 6? Create Mega Evolutions to piss off Genwunners, that'll teach them.
Ken Sugimori: That's a great idea! Let's make them cry and we should feed on their tears as we destroy the designs of Gen 1 pokemons.

Are you for real???

First of all,I find it very amusing watching you complain about all the terrible things Gamefreak is doing, and yet here you still are.

Second of all, your opinion is highly subjective. I for one find mega evolutions a great idea. It gives us yet another way of battling, and forming strategies, which is wildly appreciated by many Pokemon fans.
Was your post directed at me or at Genwunner? Because i really like mega evolution and i think it's a good adition to the series.

It was directed at Genwunner.

The whole thing Pokémon's primary target is children is some idea that has really stuck on the West side of the fandom.
I think whole Game Freak has promoted several times, how they want pokémon games to appeal to as wide audience as possible. It doesn't matter to them how old the person is, they just want that everyone plays their games, newcomers, old fans, children and adults alike.

I know it's a bit of a taboo to like cute fighting monsters as adult especially in the West, but one of the main ideas behind pokémon is that it appeals to everyone, no matter what.
Way back in 2004, Junichi Masuda posted a great blog post about this idea:

Our goal is to create children’s songs that have universal appeal

How can you use that quote o prove that Pokémon games are not for children when even in that same quote he admitted that the games are indeed made with children in mind. "children's songs that have univeral appeal", which translates to "children's games that also happen to be enjoyed by adults". In the end, they make games for kids. If if is also popular among adults as a side effect, that's fine and dandy, but they are clearly targeted at kids.

You are missing the point of that blog post compeletely.
Look at the previous sentence:
If you ask what kind of music is popular to people of all ages,
the answer may be children’s songs.
I think Pokemon is like that when people call it a game for kids.

He is making an example here. Children songs are something we remember even as adults. He's trying to make a point how things that people think are only for children or are childish, aren't actually so. That's the point of the whole post. Also, in interviews they have never talked about how they made something with children in mind. They only talk about different kind of players in their various interviews. New players, old players, players that like battles, players that like to explore things etc.

Game Freak itself has never encouraged older players to stop playing Pokémon. They want everyone to play the games. The only thing they want to keep in balance is to get newcomers easily in, and get things exciting for veteran players alike. This has been said like..almost all the interviews they have given. They have never said something like "Since this a game for kids, we want to make it appealing to them". Pokémon has age limit only in our minds.
But I guess the western society don't encourage to like cute and "innocent" looking things so there's also a cultural difference in action.

I don't deny that kids don't like Pokémon. Of course they like Pokémon. But Game Freak itself has never promoted a view how they are only making it for kids. That's the exact point that Masuda was trying to make in that blog post, but you completely missed it.

How can you use that quote o prove that Pokémon games are not for children when even in that same quote he admitted that the games are indeed made with children in mind. "children's songs that have univeral appeal", which translates to "children's games that also happen to be enjoyed by adults". In the end, they make games for kids. If if is also popular among adults as a side effect, that's fine and dandy, but they are clearly targeted at kids.

He is making an example here. Children songs are something we remember even as adults. He's trying to make a point how things that people think are only for children or are childish, aren't actually so. That's the point of the whole post. Also, in interviews they have never talked about how they made something with children in mind. They only talk about different kind of players in their various interviews. New players, old players, players that like battles, players that like to explore things etc.

Game Freak itself has never encouraged older players to stop playing Pokémon. They want everyone to play the games. The only thing they want to keep in balance is to get newcomers easily in, and get things exciting for veteran players alike. This has been said like..almost all the interviews they have given. They have never said something like "Since this a game for kids, we want to make it appealing to them". Pokémon has age limit only in our minds.
But I guess the western society don't encourage to like cute and "innocent" looking things so there's also a cultural difference in action.

I don't deny that kids don't like Pokémon. Of course they like Pokémon. But Game Freak itself has never promoted a view how they are only making it for kids. That's the exact point that Masuda was trying to make in that blog post, but you completely missed it.

It's not just the western society. I'm from the eastern society, and adults here also view pokemon something young kids play. Parents are often surprised to see other adults at certain pokemon distribution events getting a legendary right next to their 5-year-old child, and more than often I've heard them whisper behind my back, "did you just see that woman? Doesn't she have better things to do than play pokemon? I'm worried my child would grow up to be like her..."

Are those adults who see me as a weird person shallow-minded? No, because what they're saying is true - I'm an adult who has not been able to grow out of pokemon when everyone else my age left pokemon long ago. In everyone else's eyes, I am someone who has failed to grow up, irresponsible, and someone gaming all day long as an otaku when I should be working. That is what the society views adult gamers - even if they don't speak it out loud. This isn't a matter on whether I choose to be not ashamed or stay proud - as long as I'm part of the society, I am what the society defines me and that is the truth, whether I like it or not.

GameFreak will not promote things with the intention of bringing back the minority who still game - the oddballs of the society. Unless someone who has enough authority and influence over the world announces they play pokemon as adults as well, adults who play pokemon will always be the minority.

It's not just the western society. I'm from the eastern society, and adults here also view pokemon something young kids play. Parents are often surprised to see other adults at certain pokemon distribution events getting a legendary right next to their 5-year-old child, and more than often I've heard them whisper behind my back, "did you just see that woman? Doesn't she have better things to do than play pokemon? I'm worried my child would grow up to be like her..."

Are those adults who see me as a weird person shallow-minded? No, because what they're saying is true - I'm an adult who has not been able to grow out of pokemon when everyone else my age left pokemon long ago. In everyone else's eyes, I am someone who has failed to grow up, irresponsible, and someone gaming all day long as an otaku when I should be working. That is what the society views adult gamers - even if they don't speak it out loud. This isn't a matter on whether I choose to be not ashamed or stay proud - as long as I'm part of the society, I am what the society defines me and that is the truth, whether I like it or not.

GameFreak will not promote things with the intention of bringing back the minority who still game - the oddballs of the society. Unless someone who has enough authority and influence over the world announces they play pokemon as adults as well, adults who play pokemon will always be the minority.

Yeah, that's unfortunately how most of the society thinks out of things like this - I mean, even the fact that I like anime and I'm still watching it as a young adult makes some of my relatives go "Oh, does she still like those children cartoons?" And yeah, I can see why they think of it like that, because cartoons, especially in the West, are viewed as something that are made for kids.

But I don't really care what society thinks of me - I'm not going to like so called "nomal" things just because society thinks I should like things that about 90% of adults usually like. How do you even define normal? I hate how society just tries to make everyone the same. Each people is different, I've never gotten it why people get angry or confused when someone likes something they happen not to be liking.

Anyway, I've always hated the idea that there is certain things that only certain part of society is acceptable of doing - I think that is ridicilous. In my eyes, society is shallow-minded. Of course, we need to grow up in certain way - be responsible, go to work - but I would never give up the things I love just because some anynomous group of people think I shouldn't. They are important to me. And if they bring me joy, I'm not doing anything harmful, am I?

Older people still think that games are something bad. The whole gaming industry is still viewed as something that makes people lazy, irresponsible. And it takes a long time to change that view, I'm afraid.

Are you for real???

Mewtwo in M16 is an entirely different entity to the one that appears in M1. The female voice actress was chosen to help create this difference, not the other way around. If Mewtwo is male in the M16 dub then that's a different matter altogether. That's a case of bad choice on TPCi's behalf, not the franchise in general.

Mega evolutions don't ruin anything. They are entirely optional. The original Pokemon you seem to love so much are still in the game. Just don't use their mega evolutions. It isn't hard. No-one is forcing you to use them. Want to battle competitively without using them? Then stick in tiers where mega evolutions don't present a huge issue.

Nintendo don't care about old fans, one of them even laughed at a guy when he asked about a potential Majoras Mask remake.

Oh my god. Seriously? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're kidding. Please.

When Eiji Aonuma is tossed as simply "one of them" as if he were a random employee, then this guy is either a troll or... something I cannot say for I'd be punished by the mods and admins.

I don't know the names of Nintendos staff, I know he was someone high up but no I don't know who Eiji is Aonuma, he works for Nintendo and is very high up, a Director maybe, but I could pass him in the street and not notice.

Those changes were introduced because the anime is adapted from the games, and said mechanics (contests and ditching out old characters) appeared first in the games, so it was only natural to adapt those elements into the anime as well, it doesn't have anything to do with ratings

Veggie, i'm basing my post in the anime because the anime is what sells the most and it also is what the 60% of the staff is concentrated on. This has a clear impact on the game (after all, we are specifically discussing that in the topic) Also, of course those changes were introduced in the anime because they were introduced on the games first, but why do you think that happened in first place? The whole anime and its characters, and its dinamycs little resemble the storyline of the games. The goal of the anime is not to resemble the game Veggie, it's almost a complete different thing. We can see the gyms, the gym leaders that will later on appear in the anime (as well as the pokemon of course) and some other tiny concordances, but that's sadly about it. I assure you that the anime has started to pull the threads of some of the things we see in the games, otherwise it would be nonsensical to introduce a new concept of battleing in the anime that never appeared in the games, that wouldn't sell.

The elements you are referring to (contests and odifying the cast) were first introduced in Ruby/Sapphire. The games before those were Gold/Silver, which even to this day are the pinnacle of the series, both critically and sales-wise; therefore, there wasn't any need to change the formula, at least in terms of popularity.

Worry not about the examples Veggie, pokemon doesn't base on them and i was just pointing out the most obvios ones. The scrypt and some other aspects have also become tacky but i didn't want to get there. Well, see? That's my point, there wasn't any need to "change the formula" and alter (due to human-greed for more money- or whatever you want to call it) both the games structure -and therefore its quiality (not in terms of graphics)- and the anime's
And now we encounter the lack of stability even in the games, that end up confusing the buyers; since GF has decided to put pokemons in regions that in a way "shouldn't" be there (or is jsut odd that they are there, as well as weird.) We are talking about pokemons that had practically disapeared from the show; the younger audience won't be able to relate to them as easly as some old-followeres, so in my opinion all that's left to think is that this is part of some publicity. It bothers me that they are alttering the structure of the games to do so (if im correct)

VeggiePopper, if you find my comment pointless, please feel free to contact a moderator to erase it.

Veggie, i'm basing my post in the anime because the anime is what sells the most and it also is what the 60% of the staff is concentrated on.

The people who make the anime are not the same people who make the game.

lol do you think thay are like team aqua and team magma? Then well, you are right, they don't talk to eachother at all, they practically ignore eachother's existance. That's why the ones that make the anime have to buy the game to know what to draw, otherwise they wouldn't know. I'm sorry, i don't want to be sarcastic, but do you seriously believe that they hold no contact whatsoever to eachother?

lol do you think thay are like team aqua and team magma? Then well, you are right, they don't talk to eachother at all, they practically ignore eachother's existance. That's why the ones that make the anime have to buy the game to know what to draw, otherwise they wouldn't know. I'm sorry, i don't want to be sarcastic, but do you seriously believe that they hold no contact whatsoever to eachother?

He didn't say that. He just made the point that the games are the primary feature of the franchise and the entire point of the anime is to promote the franchise, and in particular, the games. There is no anime without the games, and discussion of the anime in a game forum is kinda dumb. There's an anime board for a reason.

He didn't say that. He just made the point that the games are the primary feature of the franchise and the entire point of the anime is to promote the franchise, and in particular, the games. There is no anime without the games, and discussion of the anime in a game forum is kinda dumb. There's an anime board for a reason.

Well, second stranger who bumped into a conversation to defend someone that to me doens't need at all to be defended, if we read his words more carefully you'll see that he says that
and that's it ^^. If this person was expecting me to answer to something else than what was written, i assure you he would say it clear and firm, no need to worry.
I understand what you say though, and i said the opposite thing. Now my friend, which are your fundaments? All you say is that "there is no anime withouth games" if you could be so kind as to quote when i said the opposite thing i'll be glad to answer that.
I don't know how you see things here. To my perspective, the game and the anime are so attatched that if we talk about certain thing (as sudden, odd changes in the games) it doesn't hurt at all to see if something just as odd has happened in the anime. (since, as we all know they are linked)
Again, my point of view is that maybe that change in the game has to do with the publicity; being the anime born as a form of publicity for the game and having gone trough odd changes as well- i see the relation, i don't know about you.

Then again, what you consider "kinda dumb" is not really something i'll ask you about, but if you think my comment is unappropiate, then once again i'll tell you just as i told the well fundamented user that quoted me first (and to whom i was actually talking, i don't really know why do you answer for him. If you are in a romantic relationship then congratulations but im not attacking anyone, in fact if you take an objective look you might see that we are both arguing peacefully, just kind of "passionately" but simply as users) please feel free to ask a moderator to ban me or to delete my message, or whatever you think is fair to do.

I would like to tell you though, that i don't think you should answer for someone else. That will make that "someone else" look rather bad to the others (if he cares about that), as if he couldn't defend himself. I don't doubt that he and i could chat peacefully, i realise that i was kind of rude but then again so was he, and if he tells me he felt offended i will gladly apologyse. So then, your intrusion might be a little bit rude, please keep it in mynd and have a good day.

Staff of the Pokémon anime - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Just throwing that out there.

I'm sorry for asking such a silly question, but i don't understand your expression (english is not my native language)
throwing that out
"trhowing that out"?

Well, second stranger who bumped into a conversation to defend someone that to me doens't need at all to be defended, if we read his words more carefully you'll see that he says that
and that's it ^^. If this person was expecting me to answer to something else than what was written, i assure you he would say it clear and firm, no need to worry.
I understand what you say though, and i said the opposite thing. Now my friend, which are your fundaments? All you say is that "there is no anime withouth games" if you could be so kind as to quote when i said the opposite thing i'll be glad to answer that.
I don't know how you see things here. To my perspective, the game and the anime are so attatched that if we talk about certain thing (as sudden, odd changes in the games) it doesn't hurt at all to see if something just as odd has happened in the anime. (since, as we all know they are linked)
Again, my point of view is that maybe that change in the game has to do with the publicity; being the anime born as a form of publicity for the game and having gone trough odd changes as well- i see the relation, i don't know about you.

Then again, what you consider "kinda dumb" is not really something i'll ask you about, but if you think my comment is unappropiate, then once again i'll tell you just as i told the well fundamented user that quoted me first (and to whom i was actually talking, i don't really know why do you answer for him. If you are in a romantic relationship then congratulations but im not attacking anyone, in fact if you take an objective look you might see that we are both arguing peacefully, just kind of "passionately" but simply as users) please feel free to ask a moderator to ban me or to delete my message, or whatever you think is fair to do.

I would like to tell you though, that i don't think you should answer for someone else. That will make that "someone else" look rather bad to the others (if he cares about that), as if he couldn't defend himself. I don't doubt that he and i could chat peacefully, i realise that i was kind of rude but then again so was he, and if he tells me he felt offended i will gladly apologyse. So then, your intrusion might be a little bit rude, please keep it in mynd and have a good day.

See, this place is called a "discussion forum" where people can "discuss". Just because you are engaging one particular person in discussion doesn't prevent others from doing so. If you feel that someone *gasp* responding to your post is an "intrusion", then you should take your conversation to PM so that the conversation isn't public.

See, this place is called a "discussion forum" where people can "discuss". Just because you are engaging one particular person in discussion doesn't prevent others from doing so. If you feel that someone *gasp* responding to your post is an "intrusion", then you should take your conversation to PM so that the conversation isn't public.

Well thank you, i think i alredy know where i am and what to do. I said what i said because you didn't seem to add to the discussion but to try and defend someone as if this someone was being attacked- that not only distracts you from the topic but is also a little bothersome when you try to discuss somehting. I don't think we should talk about this here, it doesn't seem appropiate to me. Please keep in mynd that i shall respond to any questions you have but i will not continue to talk about moral points of view with you here just because, well i don't think is the place to do so. Feel free to send me a message though ^^

Well thank you, i think i alredy know where i am and what to do. I said what i said because you didn't seem to add to the discussion but to try and defend someone as if this someone was being attacked- that not only distracts you from the topic but is also a little bothersome when you try to discuss somehting. I don't think we should talk about this here, it doesn't seem appropiate to me. Please keep in mynd that i shall respond to any questions you have but i will not continue to talk about moral points of view with you here just because, well i don't think is the place to do so. Feel free to send me a message though ^^

And I said what I said explaining why people are coming down on you rambling on about the anime, this is a game discussion and people here are talking about the games. To be frank, there is no anime without the games and you've even made several factually false statements such as the anime being what "sells the most". The anime's DVD releases are spotty at best, but no single anime collection of the ongoing series has EVER come close to what the games sell. But that isn't the purpose of the anime, its purpose is to promote the franchise and in particular, the games. That's why the vast majority of important anime characters are characters from the games, whereas the vast majority of anime exclusive characters are COTDs or fill otherwise forgettable roles.

With all the references Kanto has been getting in X&Y, i think Game Freak are trying to win back at least the Gen I fans.

They aren't gonna win back people by including little throw backs throughout the play through because those people won't be playing the games to begin with.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom