• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I think I've figured out TPCi's music replacement practices.

technickal

Reaction score
Basically, if it's not a cover of a song from the games, it's got to go. This is demonstrated with the most commonly kept songs: the title card theme (Obtained a Gym Badge!), the movie title card theme (Opening Movie), Battle! (Wild Pokémon), Battle! (Trainer Battle), Clemont's invention theme (Route 4), and the To Be Continued theme (Congratulations on Entering the Hall of Fame!). I'm guessing they're allowed to keep these because the rights of the original music belong to Junichi Masuda and Shota Kageyama, not Shinji Miyazaki, and the songs were obviously kept in the international versions of X and Y, so they already have the rights. The only other song that's always kept is the TRio motto theme, and it's probably because it's a classic and has been kept in the dub since EP002.

The only exception I've found was the AZ/Snowbelle City medley in XY060. Who knows why that wasn't kept. Anyway, while I'm quite fond of Ed Goldfarb's dub score, I'm glad they're keeping music that was actually in the games. However, I'm kind of disappointed that some original series music that returned in Japanese M18 got replaced once again just because it wasn't in the games.

Last edited:
Well as far as I'm concerned, any replacement music they give us should be treated with booing and disapproval. Ed Goldfart sucks as a composer, and TPCi should fire him and just use Shinji's score exclusively. But since I know they won't, I'll go get my pitch fork ready.

Well as far as I'm concerned, any replacement music they give us should be treated with booing and disapproval. Ed Goldfart sucks as a composer, and TPCi should fire him and just use Shinji's score exclusively. But since I know they won't, I'll go get my pitch fork ready.

You know, there are some people that would actually like the dub music over the Japanese music. Frankly, I actually found some of the replacement score for M18 quite suiting for it, even though I'd rather prefer the original Japanese score for it, like most of us.

Saying that the dub music is automatically bad, and thus, should be rejected by everyone, and wishing for the one to compose the music to be fired when at least some of his score is tolerable, makes you an example of a self-centered fan who complains about everything regardless of other people's opinions, and will do whatever it takes to force your opinions on everything through death threats. Now, I'm not saying that I like the dub music; I find it inferior to the Japanese score. But the terms "inferior" and "bad" are not always the same.

Putting aside the fact that uncutpokemon didn't even say half of what you're accusing him of, I don't think calling someone a "self-centered fan" for expressing his opinions about the replacement music in a kids' show is the most mature thing you could be doing right now.

Back to technickal's observation...yeah, that seems to be pretty much it. But I think the lack of non-game music has more to do with TPCI's musical tastes (or lack thereof) than any rights issues.

My very greatest apologies for feeling something other than disapproval for dub music.

...would be what I'd be saying if I was a fan of the original version. And as these boards know by now, I'm not. Miyazaki's BGM was good up until the XY season (which I still contest is because of the subpar quality of the game music most of it remixes), where it just became bland. So, even though he's no John Loeffler nor Ralph Shuckett, Ed Goldfarb all the way. Sorry, not sorry.

Putting aside the fact that uncutpokemon didn't even say half of what you're accusing him of, I don't think calling someone a "self-centered fan" for expressing his opinions about the replacement music in a kids' show is the most mature thing you could be doing right now.

It is okay for us to express our thoughts, yes. But when said expression contains phrasing that basically says fans must hate any Pokemon anime music not composed by Shinji Miyazaki ("Well as far as I'm concerned, any replacement music they give us should be treated with booing and disapproval"), there's where the problem is. I mean, as much as I hate the original version, I'd never order people to abandon it and watch only, and only, the dub.

Oh, and uncutpokemon's "I'll go get my pitchfork ready" comment is an implicit death threat.

That said, I think my favorite piece of dub music by Goldfarb is the theme he came up with for Serena's Eevee. I'd love to get a full version of that.

Last edited:
It is okay for us to express our thoughts, yes. But when said expression contains phrasing that basically says fans must hate any Pokemon anime music not composed by Shinji Miyazaki ("Well as far as I'm concerned, any replacement music they give us should be treated with booing and disapproval"), there's where the problem is. I mean, as much as I hate the original version, I'd never order people to abandon it and watch only, and only, the dub.

This.

I've never been so overly attached to anime music anyway. I don't think there's ever been one moment where a track of music being replaced in the dub has rubbed me the wrong way.
It's just music to me. Not a big enough reason to get worked up over.

Besides which, I've never made music the absolute criterion for how much I like anything. Sonic 06 would be one of the greatest games in the world by that logic.

Besides which, I've never made music the absolute criterion for how much I like anything. Sonic 06 would be one of the greatest games in the world by that logic.

Music definitely sweetens the pot though.
And I definitely find Ed Goldfarb's score to enhance my experience of watching dubbed Pokémon.

I've watched both the original version and the dubbed version and I find the original version is much better than the dubbed mostly because of the placement of the music from the games in the right scene. For example, using the Laverre City music in the original for the Serena flashback made it more magical than whatever music the dub replaced it with. Also the dubs replacement of some of the battle music from the games during the gym battles made it less exciting than the original. For example, the dubs replacement of some of the original battle music in the Ash vs Clement gym battle, the replacement of Friend Battle music at the beginning and Team Flare Battle when Luxray uses electric terrain, ruined the epicness of the match. My conclusion is that TPCI should stop replacing BGM from the original that relates to the games especially if it makes a scene in an episode much more interesting/exciting. That's my two cents.

Before XY I wouldn't have said there's really any rhyme or reason to what gets kept and what doesn't.

Now though it seems like there's only a handful of tracks that get kept consistently and the rest almost never are. Let's see - the Pokemon Red/Green title theme, the Red/Green Hall of Fame music (usually closes out an episode), XY Wild Battle/Trainer Battle/Rival Battle themes, Team Rocket's motto, Kalos Route 4 (Clemont's invention), the episode title music... And that's about it.

Seems like they only keep a couple tracks per episode just to say they still are... I don't hate the Goldfarb music but come on guys, even 4Kids was better about this.

You see something like the Yo-Kai Watch dub and it's like, why can't Pokemon be dubbed like this?

I feel like the only person alive who doesn't give a hoot that the music is replaced. I really just don't care. It doesn't sound bad to me and I've never heard the original so I have no reason to care and I plan to keep it that way.
I'm with this guy. Maybe it's because I don't watch the anime regularly, but I just don't care at all. Nor do I think it's worth "getting pitchforks ready."

I'm with this guy. Maybe it's because I don't watch the anime regularly, but I just don't care at all. Nor do I think it's worth "getting pitchforks ready."
Anime fans SNAP any time anything is edited, removed, altered, whatever in their precious shows. Off topic but the most annoying thing in the world to me is people who sit there and nitpick every little thing regarding video quality of DVD/Blu-ray discs. People have way too much time on their hands.

Anime fans SNAP any time anything is edited, removed, altered, whatever in their precious shows. Off topic but the most annoying thing in the world to me is people who sit there and nitpick every little thing regarding video quality of DVD/Blu-ray discs. People have way too much time on their hands.
Let's not get into that discussion in here please. Focus on the BGM if you have something to say on that.

I feel like the only person alive who doesn't give a hoot that the music is replaced. I really just don't care. It doesn't sound bad to me and I've never heard the original so I have no reason to care and I plan to keep it that way.

And I make three. For the record, I've heard the original OST, and I think its quality depends on the quality of the game soundtrack it's remixing. I feel the XY games had a bland soundtrack for the most part, and so the show's OST has the same problem. Not to mention the sound editing department sometimes makes some really odd choices (the Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde encounter theme ought not go over Pierre and Aria dancing). This is a big part of why I've been so accepting of the dub's music replacement.

What in the world compels people who don't "give a hoot that the music is replaced" or "just don't care at all" to click on a link with the word "Music Replacement" right there in the thread title?

What in the world compels people who don't "give a hoot that the music is replaced" or "just don't care at all" to click on a link with the word "Music Replacement" right there in the thread title?
To see others opinions on it and then state your own? Seems obvious to me.

For me as I've said many times changing the original music alters the mood and emotions of certain scenes. A more recent example is the scene where Serena cuts her hair. In the Japanese version they play AZ's theme (? Correct me if wrong) and it fits the emotion of what's going onscreen while the dub uses a generic piece that is forgettable and doesn't carry the same emotion. A classic 4Kids example would be Misty's Goodbye. In the original they played the music from the Lugia movie where Misty is pulling Ash out of the water near the end of the movie. This piece was never played in the dub. The dub used a new song and I don't think it really fit the emotion that the flashback was supposed to have nevermind the fact that 4Kids changed the entire flashback, but story for another time. The scene following where the trio depart was very sad in the original because of the use of Tears After the Cloudy Weather. 4kids destroyed the scene by using generic stock music. It makes mad as we've heard Tears After the Cloudy Weather several times before in the dub and a few times since TPCi took over. the general reason that TPCi changes the music is that they think kids won't care and unfortunately that's the demographic for the show, not us hardcore fans who have been around since 1998-99.

That's great that you don't care. Do you want a ribbon or something?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom