• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I Wish There Was a PBR Update/Sequel

Nevando

The Weirdest Tower Tycoon
Reaction score
Am I the only one disappointed that we only recieved one 3D battling simulator this generation? It's not that I am complaining for the chance to not be Nintendo's tool when it comes to purchasing new games, but I just feel the original PBR came out...

...prematurely.

It just feels almost imcompatible with our current Pokémon games. For instance;

-There are essentially 7 new Pokémon that are completely unusable in PBR; Origin Forme Giratina, Sky Forme Shaymin, and Rotoms 5 forms. There's also Spiky-eared Pichu, but I'm honestly not so concerned about that. As for the other examples, their forms change their stats, abilities, and essentially their usability, which makes them, as far as I'm concerned, completely new Pokémon [battle wise].

-There are now 6 trainer models in the current generation; Lucas/Dawn, Lukas/Dawn [Winter/Platinum] and Ethan/Lyra. Of these, only Lucas/Dawn will show up in DS Battle Mode. While I'm at it, there are 7 Pokéballs which will not appear as they are in the game. These things aren't necessarily big deals, I'm just nitpicky.

I don't reeaally want to turn this thread into a, "What's wrong with PBR," because I'm sure all those were probably done with as soon as the game came out, and I really don't want to bring those back, buuuuut...

I would also like them to fix the multiplayer battles. And by fix, I essentially just mean, add more players! 4 player versus, not just this tinyass tournament thing. While we're at it; 4 player versus ALA Pokémon Colloseum/XD. I'm not sure how many people knew about this, but in that game, with 4 gameboy adevances/GBA - GCN cables, you could have 4 player team matches, with each player using 6 Pokémon [that makes a Pokémon battle with 24 Pokémon in it!]; I figure nobody knows about it because no Pokémon site ever claims these as a feature in Colloseum/XD when they REALLY SHOULD BE [or nobody knew about them because they didn't have 4 friends in their area who played Pokémon/spent the money on those useless fragile cables]. I'm almost convinced it's an error, as if Nintendo didn't even know about them, because otherwise, why would they get rid of that?

PBR is just very limiting in what can be done for battles, and as much as I hate to sound like a nostalgic-douche, it makes me miss Pokémon Stadium 2. Do I want the trainers to start throwing the Pokéballs from outside the arena? No. I just want them to not remove features. There are a lot of great things in PBR. But we're too close to the 5th generation for a new PBR to come out, and I just wish something had happened sooner [I was really excited when they announced that new Wii game, when it was revealed to just be Pikachus Island whatever]

PBR was easily one of the worst Pokemon games ever, and DEFINATELY the worst strait-up battle game.

I bought it, I played it, I beat it, and got my Surfing Pikachu.

It now rots on a shelf with my damned broken Zelda:MM and OT.

Stadium-style play needs to be brought back, hardcore. As in:

4-way multiplayer battles, just like you said
Fucking MINIGAMES. We could get some awesome ones for the Wiimote
Gym Leader Tower (or even Battle Frontier?)
Customizable trainers should stay, yeah, but DAMN IT I want to see Ethan and Lyra in fully-rendered and sexy 3D glory

THis list could go on forever, so I'll stop myself now.

Customizable trainers should stay, yeah, but DAMN IT I want to see Ethan and Lyra in fully-rendered and sexy 3D glory

This. I would definitely like to see old stadium style stuff like you get to pick your own pokes or rent all of them excluding some legendaries

Looks epic, doesn't it? But what I don't get, why were the graphics dumbed down?

Looks totally epic!!! and idk why the graphics were dumbed down, it would have looked much better if the game's graphics were that well drawn

PBR wasn't THAT bad.

Maybe late into Gen V, we'll see a full 3D battle, in the style of Stadium, Colosseum, AND Revolution!

I think that the graphics for that preview were possibly overdone. A standard Wii may have had problems with the sheer awesomeness and run slowly. Also, some of those attacks looked very Pokemon specific. You'll notice that as the Groudon attacks, the beam moves with its head. The different species of pokemon move differently, so the attack would have to be animated differently for each pokemon.

And does anyone think that a 3D contest game should be created?

I admit I too am disappointed at the lack of Platinum and HGSS additions in PBR...if they had hindsight they would have programmed them in (Colosseum had the FRLG models after all). Also, look at Ranch's incompatibility with Pt(outside of Japan) and HGSS - This needs to be fixed.

I can imagine a Pokémon Battle Revolution 2 being released around December 2010, or early 2011, which will be compatible with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black and White.

As for the Ranch problem...I'd like a DSiWare version, which uses the mini-sprites from HGSS (obviously, they'd have to make some for Gen V Pokémon) for space.

About the graphics on the wii, those would be possible if programmed efficently. After all, i have seen xbox 1 games with better graphics. And the animations could fit on a dual layer wii disc.

Also, the next one should have voice chat. DPPTHGSS did so why can't pbr have it?

PBR wasn't THAT bad.

Maybe late into Gen V, we'll see a full 3D battle, in the style of Stadium, Colosseum, AND Revolution!

Oh, who are you kidding. There wasn't even a story mode. Its only useful/redeeming features:

*Surfing Pikachu, which can now be obtained via yellow forest anyway

*Wi-fi battles, which is full of legendary teams or people using rental passes

*the lv. 50 all feature which goes some way to helping calculate IVs

*The ability to battle with [almost all] Gen IV pokés.

I hope to high heaven they replace it with something more enjoyable in Gen V.

Oh, who are you kidding. There wasn't even a story mode. Its only useful/redeeming features:

I hope to high heaven they replace it with something more enjoyable in Gen V.

A story mode wasn't necessary in the first place; it was called Battle Revolution after all. And unless HAL Laboratory and Nintendo are reunited again to develop a 3D Pokémon battle simulator, a new Stadium won't happen.

Speaking about Stadium, the Gym Leader Castle and the various cups, aside from the minigames (which I didn't find that fun or interesting back then when Stadium/Stadium 2 were released) are a little overrated anyway. The only redeeming and nice features were the Pokémon Laboratory and the capability of playing your GB/GBC games by software emulation.

And maybe it's just you, but I enjoy the random batttles, even with the letdowns of not being able to choose the rules and a bunch of Legendary Teams wandering the servers. Japanese players are practicing this year for the VG World Championship events for example, so I'm used to the 2-on-2 Rain Dance/Sunny Day Legendary teams.

In regards to the Surfing Pikachu, is easier to PRNG-abuse for a good one inside of a Wonder Card (despite that it can only be Hardy) than capturing one in the Pokéwalker and expecting random IVs.

Green Zubat said:

That's all a 3D Battling Pokemon game needs. It's kinda the whole point of Pokemon, just battling. To some people, anyway. Contests and Pokethlon are better distractions than those silly mini-games. You couldn't even use all Pokemon.

And you forgot customizable trainers, and the variety coliseums.

That's all a 3D Battling Pokemon game needs. It's kinda the whole point of Pokemon, just battling. To some people, anyway. Contests and Pokethlon are better distractions than those silly mini-games. You couldn't even use all Pokemon.

And you forgot customizable trainers, and the variety coliseums.

I didnt necessarily want the mini-games either. In fact contests are one of my favourite aspects of three games & pokéthlon is cool too.

And nothing would've been lost for the people who only like battling ufo they'd had a story mode, thats the best thing about Gamecube/Wii pokémon games IMO. Playing through a whole new region in full 3D. With PBR its just not the same.

And nothing would've been lost for the people who only like battling ufo they'd had a story mode, thats the best thing about Gamecube/Wii pokémon games IMO. Playing through a whole new region in full 3D. With PBR its just not the same.

And again, they weren't called Battle Revolution but Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Besides, both games had fewer options of arenas/colosseums/stadiums to battle and no-special rules to compete. The only feature I miss were some rules in the customization of 2/4 players battles to ban some items, Pokémon and such.

I'll actually agree that a lot of the complaints in this thread are just because PBR was strictly a battle simulator, but as a longtime connoisseur of the Stadium games, I saw a lot of things missed by GS for just the battles themselves-

• The stadiums were far too limited in terms of appearane. For a game relying so much on graphics (the main reason to play PBR over DPPt), it could have at least managed to come close to the amount of arenas offered in Pokemon Stadium 2. I don't mind the move to replace the previous handheld-location-in-3D arenas for entirely new arenas, but if that's the way it's going they should have at least made up enough locations to rival those in Stadium 2. I don't care who's developing it, they should be able to make AT LEAST as many different areas to battle in as HAL crammed in an N64 cart. This is no longer 2001, folks.
  • If you're going to allow rentals at all, at least allow us to CHOOSE THE POKEMON INDIVIDUALLY, please. As it is you either transfer Pokemon over form your game to battle or choose a premade card with a couple of good Pokemon and a bunch of base Pokemon that suck with no way to change it other than to pick a different card entirely. The ability to choose stock Pokemon with the exception of the very rarest and most powerful Pokemon was what kept the Stadium games interesting, and even players without a Pokemon game could enjoy battling you with rental Pokemon. As it is now, I can hardly play locally with anyone because I have a good team and those without a game are stuck battling with teams they shouldn't even try to win with. I got everyone playing Stadium with me, my Pokemon obsessed friends with the games, my dad, my mom, my uncle, my friends who didn't like Pokemon, my friends who weren't even allowed to PLAY Pokemon but played it in secret at my house... none of them can have a fair fight with me unless we both use a rental card with a team that looks like it was dreamed up by a six year old, this is not an improvement. If we could do it in 2000, we sure as hell should be able to do it today. Just use the original grid system of team selection/saving instead of this whole broken card crap, it's such an obvious step backwards it's pathetic.
  • In-game tips and help for competitive battling and hints for the handheld games made the 64 games so useful for someone getting into Pokemon. Stadium was a stand alone game where they could play tournaments, make their own battles, learn to play better and get tips for the GameBoy games when they bought them, too, no strings attached. Now there are so many strings attached it's not even funny.
  • Bring back the rulesets, holy crap BRING BACK THE RULESETS. I loved being able to customize my own moveset, I don't think I can COUNT how many tournaments I held using specific rules to match the rule me and my friends found the fairest, especially with WiFi where all you fight are Level 100 teams of Mew, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Palkia, Giratina, Mew and Groudon it would be nice to host matches with a custom ruleset... are at least let us pick one of five or so preset rulesets, the cups use ridiculous rules that shouldn't even exist in the first place, at least let us have SOME customization in an ACTUAL BATTLE.
  • Let us register teams again like in the old games. Seriously, having a single team saved per card makes it extremely infuriating if you change your teams a lot. Having 5-10 teams saved for different types of battles was great back in the day, now that we have double battles we need it even more desperately than before.

Although Gym Leader Castle made it a better overall experience and the mini games made a nice distraction, the issues addressed above should be even MORE crucial in a game without them. You can say "we don't need menial features the whole point of the game is to be a bare bones 3D battle simulator" but if I'm paying the same price I payed for a game almost ten years ago that had twice the modes, at least make the SINGLE TYPE OF MODE THAT YOU ALLOW as good as it was in the old games. PBR had some great idea, like trainer customization and Pokemon randomization (the battles where your Pokemon got all shuffled), but in the end it's a spin-off of a game that came out ten years ago minus almost every extra feature and mode the old one had while falling flat of even letting us choose as many characters (unless of course you have 250 Pokemon in your game in which case, good for you, give half of them to your friend and then and only then can you attempt an actual battle) and eliminating most of what made Stadium's Free Battle mode so great. Seriously, PBR in its entirety contains a stripped down version of the cup system and a horribly mutilated form of the Free Battle mode of ten years ago. They're still getting away with smoothing out and adding bloom to the EXACT SAME MODELS THEY MADE FOR THE ORIGINAL STADIUM GAMES, they could at least keep the main features of the battle modes. I'm not a Gen I fanatic that just wants to slam new games, nor do I innately prefer Stadium because it came first- I am a consumer who, when looking at the BATTLE SIMULATION ALONE, had lined up the features lists of both games- one made ten years ago and one that came out on a current-Gen console- and found the older game to have a much longer list.

I don't care if it's called Pokemon Battle Revolution 2, Pokemon Stadium 3, or Pokemon Watch a Bunch of Creatures Beat the Crap out of Each Other in 3D 4, I just want a 3D battle simulator with a free battle mode that has at least as much as I had with the game I bought ten years ago. Is that so much to ask?

didn't like this game. im pretty sure everyone has already listed why so ill just list a couple: no mini games, everyone has to blow a little steam sometime from a lost battle right.

and no rentals???? , i understand we can use our but still, it would have been a nice to be given the option.

I bet it was so PBR didn't get any higher than an E rating.

Why? It's not violent at all. No more violent then any other Pokemon game.

They should make a PBR update or sequel..However we'll have to wait for Gen 5.

I guess I'll buy PBR then.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom