• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia I would like to up upload the Battle-e cards

Bobsplosion

Reaction score
While I was putting together my spreadsheet for my Battle e collection I found that many of the Battle-e cards are missing or low resolution on their respective pages. Now that I have them (most of them), I'd like to upload the missing cards and possibly replace some of the current uploads which are pretty low resolution. I also have the Club Nintendo cards (but not demo Mattego ) so most cards should be possible. I'm just missing some of the English R/S and Japanese Emerald sets.

My questions are:
  1. What do I need to do to be able to do this?
  2. What DPI should I be scanning at?
  3. Would transparent sleeves be okay or should they be bare cards in the scans?
  4. Should the old uploads be replaced if I'm doing a bunch of these anyways?
  5. Since only the Ruby/Sapphire Series 1 is in English, should the Series 1 scans all be English or Japanese for consistency with the rest? Or both? Right now it's a mix of the two.
  6. Edit: Should the Battle Record cards also have a section?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
While I was putting together my spreadsheet for my Battle e collection I found that many of the Battle-e cards are missing or low resolution on their respective pages. Now that I have them (most of them), I'd like to upload the missing cards and possibly replace some of the current uploads which are pretty low resolution. I also have the Club Nintendo cards (but not demo Mattego ) so most cards should be possible. I'm just missing some of the English R/S and Japanese Emerald sets.

My questions are:
  1. What do I need to do to be able to do this?
  2. What DPI should I be scanning at?
  3. Would transparent sleeves be okay or should they be bare cards in the scans?
  4. Should the old uploads be replaced if I'm doing a bunch of these anyways?
  5. Since only the Ruby/Sapphire Series 1 is in English, should the Series 1 scans all be English or Japanese for consistency with the rest? Or both? Right now it's a mix of the two.
  6. Edit: Should the Battle Record cards also have a section?
Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've unfortunately been quite preoccupied lately.

I also collect Battle e cards, although it sounds like your collection is much more expansive than my own. I only have Ruby & Sapphire Battle e cards (both English and Japanese), although I'm missing the Club Nintendo promos and demo Mattego (of course). I'm quite impressed that you have the Club Nintendo promos, as those are incredibly rare! My scanner is unfortunately a huge pain to use, so I haven't gotten around to scanning my full collection, which is still fairly new (although I did upload scans of my Australian promos and English battle record cards many years ago).

1. What do I need to do to be able to do this?: In terms of the wiki, all users can upload files, but uploads by new users will not show up publicly until approved by an admin. If you're going to be uploading a lot of scans, it is possible for staff to waive this requirement for individual users upon request (i.e. let your uploads show up immediately). You would then need to edit the list pages on Bulbapedia to get the images to show up.
  2. What DPI should I be scanning at?: We normally limit images to 1280px in either dimension. I'm not sure what DPI that would correspond to, but I would suggest to aim for a DPI that gives you a width similar to that maximum. (You can also just resize the images in an image editing program if you want).
  3. Would transparent sleeves be okay or should they be bare cards in the scans?: I would recommend scanning a card both with and without the sleeve and seeing if it makes a visible difference. If you can't see a difference then I think it would be fine; otherwise, it would be a matter of judging how severely the sleeves impact the scans, although a sleeved image would be better than no image.
  4. Should the old uploads be replaced if I'm doing a bunch of these anyways?: If you're uploading a better version of an existing image, yes you would normally upload over the existing file. The exception is that you cannot do this if the file extension changes, but I expect your scans will end up as JPGs like our existing images.
  5. Since only the Ruby/Sapphire Series 1 is in English, should the Series 1 scans all be English or Japanese for consistency with the rest? Or both? Right now it's a mix of the two.: I think having both English and Japanese scans would be worthwhile (especially given how few of the cards got English releases anyway). We might need to establish a proper naming convention for the pairs of files however.
  6. Edit: Should the Battle Record cards also have a section?: Yes, I think that would make sense.

I know Hit Save have high-quality scans of all of the e-Reader cards, with enough resolution to print them out and scan them (on a high DPI printer). However, from what I've read they don't make their scans public for legal reasons, beyond featuring a select few in their blogs.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm very familiar with Hit Save, but as you noted, they're not super willing to share scans.

I'm still planning on scanning these, but it will need to wait until I finish collecting more of the sets.

To be clear, I'm not withholding the scans for fun. I don't actually have a scanner, so I need to take the cards somewhere to be scanned. Obviously I'd like to make less trips, so I'm waiting until I have more cards to scan at once.

Just wanted to update you guys:

I've been meaning to go and scan what I have, but I constantly have cards on the way so it's been put off for some time. At this point I'm only missing about half four or so cards in total, so I should have something to show for it very soon.

Alright folks, the time is here: I ended up purchasing a scanner and I can use it (to some degree.)

Very annoyingly, it appears that most scanners crop out the very edges, so I can't actually use the edges as a guide to keep it at a 90 degree angle. I've come up with some permutations to work around this:
  • A small guide made out of cardboard I have around.
  • Rotating it in Photoshop instead.

Adding to this, I also have two more permutations:
  • Put a heavy thing on top of the scanner to squish the card down further.
  • Don't do that.

I've included all four versions, scaled down to 1280x. There's a bit of dust one some of them, but once I get some feedback on which one is best I'll clean it as best I can, although it shouldn't be too visible at this resolution.

Attachments

• Guide + Squish.jpg
    Guide + Squish.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • Guide.jpg
    Guide.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • None.jpg
    None.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • Squish.jpg
    Squish.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I know you guys are probably mad busy fixing the site but I'm realizing there's very little difference between the cards at this resolution so I'll probably just start scanning the No Guide + No Squish version if I don't hear back from anyone.

I added some black construction paper on the back so I could more easily differentiate the edge of the card from the rest of the scan. I think I like this best.

I have some slight concerns about the color being somewhat washed out, but I'm hesitant to change the scanner settings because I don't really have too great an eye for such things.
E RS 01 Cool Trainer Devon.jpg

I played with saturations and levels a little bit and I think it's slightly improved now, still not exactly true-to-life but I don't think I can get that without calibrating the scanner and software for a long time.

E RS 01 Cool Trainer Devon with Edits.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom