• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ice Types: The Underdogs Again?

Lets establish one thing: Freeze condition =\= Ice-type. Yes, it is caused only by ice type moves; no they are not one and the same. Freeze and freeze chances do NOT need a buff by any stretch. Let's move away from luck based "strategies" and focus more on skill and stats here. Ice-type does need a buff. I really like the Hail idea since Hail as a weather also needs a buff frankly.

Also Rock > Ice I agree with. No reason to nerf an already struggling type just to help another. If anything I could see Ice > Fairy since iirc most Fairies do not like the cold and are more fond of spring weather?

A physical Ice-type move:

Frost Fury
Power: 90 (I felt like anything 100 and up would be too strong, especially against Pokemon like Salamence)
Accuracy: 100
PP: 10

It functions like Double Edge, but only does 1/5 recoil damage.

Nuzzle has only 20 in power so an Ice version wouldn't be to OP. It can have the same low power that Nuzzle has.

Well the problem is the freezing. Freezing can sometimes be more detrimental than Paralysis (it's essentially sleep). 20 power like Nuzzle would be fine, but I would definitely put the accuracy on the lower end like Hypnosis.

How about an Ice version of Desolate Land and Primordial Sea? Lowers the accuracy of all non-ice types and damages them each turn. Weather only leaves if pokemon faints or withdrawn.

How about an Ice version of Desolate Land and Primordial Sea? Lowers the accuracy of all non-ice types and damages them each turn. Weather only leaves if pokemon faints or withdrawn.

the last part about the weather being permanently tied to one pokemon I'm not the biggest fan of, but yeah, something like Ice Age

A bit sad how they added a new move Psychic Terrain that boosts psychic moves from psychic POkemon for 50%.
But there's no Icy Terrain.
It really does feel that Ice types are so left out.

What the Ice-type needs is a buff in terms of what it can withstand. The lack of resistances make it really difficult to use which is a shame since there are so many Ice-types that I would love to use competitively without worrying about their weaknesses becoming a hindrance. Making it resistant to what it is powerful against (Dragon, Grass, Flying and Ground) could help balance it out more since it is weak to some very common moves.

The moves themselves are pretty powerful. You have awesome moves like Ice Beam and Blizzard that I don't see needing rebuffing, especially since the latter has a 100% accuracy in Hail conditions. It's the Pokemon types themselves that need all the extra help they can get. I am hoping Game Freak addresses this. I want to use Lapras and Mamoswine in competitive battles!

what about a ice type draining move and their healing posibilities?
what are the chance of them gaining hp back?
do they have their own draining moves or healing moves or do they have a chance of using those moves of other types?

during hail a raise of sp.def and a 1/8 healing up on a Icy Terrain where there defence would rise 1,5 or where they would be immune to status conditions?
would be that bad or would that over power them?

Last edited:
What the Ice-type needs is a buff in terms of what it can withstand. The lack of resistances make it really difficult to use which is a shame since there are so many Ice-types that I would love to use competitively without worrying about their weaknesses becoming a hindrance. Making it resistant to what it is powerful against (Dragon, Grass, Flying and Ground) could help balance it out more since it is weak to some very common moves.

The moves themselves are pretty powerful. You have awesome moves like Ice Beam and Blizzard that I don't see needing rebuffing, especially since the latter has a 100% accuracy in Hail conditions. It's the Pokemon types themselves that need all the extra help they can get. I am hoping Game Freak addresses this. I want to use Lapras and Mamoswine in competitive battles!

I know somebody who makes good use of Lapras at this year's VGC! And Mamoswine used to be a common VGC pokemon at some point, right; I wonder if it's THAT bad or still usable!

I wonder if it's THAT bad or still usable!

the question should rather be how much competitive it is against other types?
How good are ice type pokemon in diffrent charts when it comes to every single stats?
in abilities? in movestests and movepools? they counter good ground,dragons, flying at some point, but they are much weaker in defensive then normal types.

Now we got Freeze-Dry to make them stronger against water, but why didnt they make it good against steel too?(that would have a little bit solve our problems, but maybe a seperat move is needed to not overuse that?? )

Its hard to define how to buff a type to make it work well with others, but one wins one looses always with changes. Moves, abilities and stats only that can make the type better to get better representative pokemon.

Hope our fury yeti crab if it becomes ice/fighting gets the love it needs.

If we could get data of % of usement of moves, types and pokemon from somewhere.
We could make a poll but that would only show what we like not what actually is used by people.

Isn't the whole point of the Ice type to be very frail? I mean I could agree that it wouldn't hurt to make it resist Flying or something, but I always got the sense that it was intended to be as brittle as it is.

Now, as to why they keep making defense-oriented Ice types in spite of that, I have no idea.

(Mind you, I do love the Ice type and wish we would see a lot more Ice types in general, and I'd also love for them to show up a bit earlier in the games. Vanillite was wonderful about this.)

Finally someone who gets the point of the Ice Type, thank you!

Offensively:
Make Ice super-effective against Rock.

Defensively:
Make Ice resistant to Water.

No and no, Ice does not crush Rock...and also...put an ice cube in a glass of water...see what happens to it.

No and no, Ice does not crush Rock...and also...put an ice cube in a glass of water...see what happens to it.
Ice erodes rock and cold shatters rock. Both can be done incredibly quickly. Someone already supplied photo evidence on this thread.

Put an ice cube in a glass of water and it's the same thing as putting the ice into an empty glass. It's dependent on the ambient temperature, not the water in the glass. Conversely, put the glass of water in the middle of the freezer or a glacier

Point taken however it takes quite some time for the erosion to happen plus I believe the reason is this...take one rock and one ice...apply the same force and hit them to each other....see which one is crashed. Also in defense of water I believe that what they were trying to do is this...when ice melts, it turns into water but when water freezes is still water. I know it sounds stupid but that's how I explain it.

But then again it raises another question, why Grass is weak to Fire? has anyone ever tried to burn something green? it takes time to burn it though I am guessing it stands for the withered ones?

Point taken however it takes quite some time for the erosion to happen plus I believe the reason is this...take one rock and one ice...apply the same force and hit them to each other....see which one is crashed. Also in defense of water I believe that what they were trying to do is this...when ice melts, it turns into water but when water freezes is still water. I know it sounds stupid but that's how I explain it.

But then again it raises another question, why Grass is weak to Fire? has anyone ever tried to burn something green? it takes time to burn it though I am guessing it stands for the withered ones?
Ice erosion happens faster than water erosion. Compare frost weathering to streambeds.
One can also shatter rocks or metals with sheer cold within minutes They just break from temperature differential, and the temperature aspect is as much important as - if not more than - the frozen water part in Ice types. This is also why Ice should logically resist water. Any water exposed to cold enough ambient temperatures will freeze and join the ice.
If it's pure ice and not riddled with impurities and both the rock and ice have the same dimensions (and not a boulder vs a sheet of ice), you're not going to see the rock shatter the ice without also breaking up

Green plant matter resists burning because of water within the vacuoles of the plant cells. If the flame is strong enough, or persistent enough, the water will be evaporated and the plant matter will still burn.

Last edited:
I'm kind of disappointed with the miniscule amount of Ice-Types we got this generation, four of them simply re-types of Kanto Pokémon. I get Alola is based off a very warm area, but I thought if anything, this would welcome the idea of contrary and feature a good amount of Ice-Types.

Oh well. :cry:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom